Audio stopped working

Kimmax

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Aufio output completely stopped working today, randomly, regardless of source whatever. Already let the car sit for a while that didn’t help. Gonna disconnect the battery when I’m home.. Good thing I have a nice instrument in the backseat that I can enjoy on my way there :D

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
If disconnecting and reconnecting the battery solves it, have your dealer check the battery. Not for voltage, but for output capacity. The battery may be under-performing and need to be replaced.

FederGigant

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
And unlock your car before disconnecting, not only the boot. Otherwise you will hear another not so nice, but very loud sound from the car :)

OP
Kimmax

Kimmax

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I did not disconnect but had the car sit over night and it fixed itself..
Probably couldn’t get the systems to fully shutdown when heaving the short break before

Wonza

Emira Fan
Reaction score
My apple car play would freeze now and again. But only the sound to the music (Spotify). The Google maps and everything else would work. I think it’s something to do with the volume buttons on the steering. Fix is to turn car on/off and leave. Only happens occasionally.

OP
Kimmax

Kimmax

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
My apple car play would freeze now and again. But only the sound to the music (Spotify). The Google maps and everything else would work. I think it’s something to do with the volume buttons on the steering. Fix is to turn car on/off and leave. Only happens occasionally.
Definitely was the whole audio system, inbuilt radio or navigation wouldn’t sound anything either

KJD

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The whole system seems a bit buggy.

My CarPlay only connects intermittently. I regularly have to go into the system menu and tell it to connect.
And the FM tuner doesn’t search properly when searching for stations.
But then the next day everything could be fine. 🤷‍♂️

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
This may sound odd, but in my many years of experience with cars and trouble-shooting intermittent issues, I learned to check the battery first. I know I've said this in here already, but these gremlins sound so much like what we struggled with when the Alfa Romeo Giulia first came out.

In addition, I had a Toyota Yaris about 12 years ago that I used for commuting that had trouble idling smoothly and always seemed to run a bit rough. I replaced the plugs, air filter, etc. No change. After doing some research, I read an article by a guy who'd had similar trouble with his truck, and it turned out to be the ground wire from the battery to the truck. He wired up a ground wire directly from the negative terminal of the battery to one of the bolts that held down the ECU, and magically his issues resolved. I thought I'd try that, and lo and behold it worked. The car instantly idled so smoothly I couldn't even tell the engine was running. It was a manual, and usually I could see a slight vibration (and feel it) in the shift lever. Nada. The car ran great from then on.

I don't have an Emira yet so I can't check this myself, but try looking at the connections to the battery, both positive and ground. See if there's any oxidation on the battery terminal posts, and/or the cable connectors themselves. If there is, you can get a small post cleaner tool at any auto parts store that will let you clean both the battery posts and the inside of the cable connectors.

Cars that sat outside for awhile, especially if the ground terminal was disconnected to keep from running down the battery, MAY have developed that gray oxidation on the terminal and/or connector, that can interfere with a good solid connection. It's something that's easy to check, and if the posts and connector need cleaning, that could possibly solve these intermittent random gremlins some of you are reporting.

SteveB

Reaction score
Definitely was the whole audio system, inbuilt radio or navigation wouldn’t sound anything either

I once had a similar audio problem with my BMW. Long story but involved a 5L tub of fence paint and attempts to clear up the mess after it fell over in the boot and the lid came off! Basically water managed to get into the amp which worked fine for about 2 weeks until electrical components started to corrode. Then it would only work intermittently - usually nothing on start up but would miraculously come back to life after about an hour of driving. When no sound absolutely nothing that involved sound worked (eg parking sensors, sat nav etc) - apparently a consequence of how all the different components are connected together (canbus). Was eventually fixed by replacing the amp. I mention this as a fault with just one component seemed to disable the entire audio system and anything connected to it.

Sentinel

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Experiencing the same currently with mine. Audio works maybe 10% of the time.

Speedy Emira

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The whole system seems a bit buggy.

My CarPlay only connects intermittently. I regularly have to go into the system menu and tell it to connect.
And the FM tuner doesn’t search properly when searching for stations.
But then the next day everything could be fine. 🤷‍♂️
Is the Apple Car Play supposed to come up on the screen on its own? I have to go to the home menu and press the Car Play button.
Also my Bluetooth usually doesn’t connect even if I try to do it manually. So I always plug my phone in with the charger lead.