Am I the only one who doesn’t want a Porsche…

Speedluvver

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I know there is a lot of emotion and discussion now reviews are out.. but one thing I know is that I don’t want a Porsche… I find them very capable but too sterile and lacking character in the main… I haven’t driven a GT4 or 911 GT product though.
I also don’t like the way all the reviewers talk about the prices and don’t mention the options you have to add to get to the spec of the Emira which make them more expensive on the road…

NicolasB

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
A 911 is an excellent car, and as of late, it's also quite beautiful. A Cayman performs and handles well, but I do not care for the looks and think that it is fairly common. I wish that Lotus could have somehow used the same transmission that the Cayman uses, with different gearing, because the gear change situation is one of my biggest hang-ups for the new Emira. With so many different transmissions in the world, and for the amount of time people have been engineering them and perfecting them, I just cannot fathom why a brand new sports car has a transmission that you can't shift quickly and feels a little clunky.

HoweBank

Reaction score
I love them really but having owned a gts 997.2 I would want a full fat GT version and they are big money.

the 80-90mph 2nd gear in a cayman is a pig put off for me I'm afraid. way too long. everything else about them is lovely

CHEESE

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Even if the comparable Porsche models were 1/4 the price, I wouldn't consider them. I'm not a fan of the look of them, especially the Cayman models...

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I know there is a lot of emotion and discussion now reviews are out.. but one thing I know is that I don’t want a Porsche… I find them very capable but too sterile and lacking character in the main… I haven’t driven a GT4 or 911 GT product though.
I also don’t like the way all the reviewers talk about the prices and don’t mention the options you have to add to get to the spec of the Emira which make them more expensive on the road…
Lotus have priced the base Emira at exactly the same level as an equivalent base Cayman. Exactly the same price even when taking equivalent options into account

Cachaco131

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
Only a GT one because don't want to be associated with the average Porsche buyer and there are way too many non GT out there. But then GT3s are $$$ now and GT4 looks so uninspiring. The way a car looks and the exclusivity are important to me. If the difference in performance is marginal then I rather compromise.

MaybeNeedEmira

Reaction score
I just wrote this in a text .. obviously your view on brands will be a big part. Got to love having choices. Hence my Emira reservation stays.

"Seen/read a few more reviews. Seems you need to buy it because it's NOT a Porsche - because in most respects it isn't better than one (GTS) .. at least V6 vs F6 manual."

They really need to nail the AMG DSG tuning to be as-good as a PDK.
My benchmark is current ride '18 Cayman S PDK.

Navywayfarer

Reaction score
Bought GT4 718 sold it after three weeks . Thought it was emotionless , gearing toooooo long legged , everyone kept giving me hand signals !!! Where as in my Alpine it's all smiles and such a sweet ride......... but the Emira is coming and I can't wait . Sad that so many folks won't experience ar life outside of Porsche . There's so many cars to try before you die ?

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Bought GT4 718 sold it after three weeks . Thought it was emotionless , gearing toooooo long legged , everyone kept giving me hand signals !!! Where as in my Alpine it's all smiles and such a sweet ride......... but the Emira is coming and I can't wait . Sad that so many folks won't experience ar life outside of Porsche . There's so many cars to try before you die ?
I think I need to try an Alpine. I've resisted autos to date. But maybe it's time to embrace one as dynamically capable as the Alpine as a daily. Then I have 40k leftover for something raw and unashamedly untamed for the weekend 🤔

BeHappy

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Wouldn’t get a Porsche definitely not a cayman no matter how good drive is as looks do nothing for me - wouldn’t give it a second glance on the road to me has no road presence

Racer X

Emira Fan
Reaction score
A 911 is an excellent car, and as of late, it's also quite beautiful. A Cayman performs and handles well, but I do not care for the looks and think that it is fairly common. I wish that Lotus could have somehow used the same transmission that the Cayman uses, with different gearing, because the gear change situation is one of my biggest hang-ups for the new Emira. With so many different transmissions in the world, and for the amount of time people have been engineering them and perfecting them, I just cannot fathom why a brand new sports car has a transmission that you can't shift quickly and feels a little clunky.
I’m concerned with the gear change as well. A box that’s not accurate can result in a very expensive money-shift. My old STi box was like that (vague yet notchy), and twice during my ownership I shifted two gears lower than intended while in full attack mode. Unbelievably the motor didn’t grenade itself. I’ve seen people destroy Porsche engines doing the same (Porsche will search your ECU for overrevs for that reason). Sigh.

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I’m familiar with Porsche. They’re lovely but I don’t find them exciting, at least not in my price bracket. I also don’t like the culture around Porsche, really only the top 1% are deemed special, the insane option prices, the dealer mark ups, The who-do-you-know to get that special model, etc.

I’ve driven the Alpine. I signed up for a track instruction in Portugal and did hot laps in an A110 around Portimão. It was a lovely balanced thing, but felt underpowered to me and the lack of a manual is a dealbreaker for me personally (I can’t buy one in the states anyway).

I’ve also driven the 4C and hated it. Resonance in the cabin gave me a headache. The transmission was constantly in the wrong gear, paint overspray faking off to bare metal on a car with just 1,200 miles on it. It’s like a misbehaved dog pulling at it’s chain around the city and then when I finally got it into the canyons it was… boring. Ot maybe more like my cat when she begs to go outside and then you open the door and she shrugs like “meh nevermind”. Decent steering feedback though.

Corvette… I appreciate the performance on offer for the price but it looks like a drunk transformer was only told what a Camaro looks like and folded himself up into an approximation of it. Creases and vents in all the wrong places and proportions way out of whack. Plus it’s so big, and no manual again. Not my taste lol.

So that’s leaves me with Lotus. I’ve adored every Elise and Exige I’ve driven, and I’ve driven them extensively (taking an Exige S240 clear across the U.S.). I haven’t bought one of those cars because I did require a bit more usability, so the Emira seems like a bullseye. Nothing I’ve read today makes me think otherwise. It’s the only option, Aside from an Evora.

Last edited:

Jonhklee

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Where we live, new Porsches are everywhere (Spyders, Macans, 911s, GT models) and people change them every few years to newest models. I guess they are great cars with great residuals. I just want a car to keep as I tend not changing every few years and want something a bit left field.

Citizen

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I have to be honest , I’m feeling so surprised about all the “negativity” around this forum with today reviews

To resume , I think people want a 100k $ car beating in all areas performing other cars more expensive

So I think the expectation was too high maybe , for me I’m more excited today for my end of year delivery

Absolutely happy for that , car overall is fantastic, I don’t want for example go to the mall with the car and crossing with the same model car than me , and Porsches I see all day 2-3 in my area

Even I see lamborghini huracan and doesn’t feel nothing to it because I see so many daily!

So the emira will have all I want , a reliable motor (not the best power), manual (not the best I know), handling (let’s see when try it but it smells well ) , looks (absolutely no doubt it will turn heads) ,

What more can I say , the wait is the worse today till delivery date

OP
Speedluvver

Speedluvver

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I think I need to try an Alpine. I've resisted autos to date. But maybe it's time to embrace one as dynamically capable as the Alpine as a daily. Then I have 40k leftover for something raw and unashamedly untamed for the weekend 🤔
I did try the alpine.. and was left a little flat.. the exhaust crackles were almost scripted, it did flow down the road for sure, but the interior was terrible… it has a 1990’s stalk for volume on the steering column and touch volume on a very slow infotainment. The dct is good, and I did enjoy it.. but the engine was a bit meh.. and helped me make my decision to go from i4 to v6

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I did try the alpine.. and was left a little flat.. the exhaust crackles were almost scripted, it did flow down the road for sure, but the interior was terrible… it has a 1990’s stalk for volume on the steering column and touch volume on a very slow infotainment. The dct is good, and I did enjoy it.. but the engine was a bit meh.. and helped me make my decision to go from i4 to v6
Tbh I've avoided them to date purely because of the engine and box. Completely ruined the Alfa 4C... Everyone seems to love them tho 🤷‍♂️

OP
Speedluvver

Speedluvver

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Tbh I've avoided them to date purely because of the engine and box. Completely ruined the Alfa 4C... Everyone seems to love them tho 🤷‍♂️
They are willing to put up with the compromises as it makes them feel good driving it… I have every confidence that the emira will do the same

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Questionable looks though…

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
They are willing to put up with the compromises as it makes them feel good driving it… I have every confidence that the emira will do the same
I can put up with a lot, but not if the basics arent right. So the gearshift has to be good, the pedals have to be set up correctly for heel and toe (expecially as no auto blip). No point me having a manual sports car if not!
Will await a drive