• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

A time traveler visits Colin Chapman

MickOpalak

Emira Fan
Reaction score
For those not familiar there is an excellent British automotive magazine called EVO whose motto is "The Thrill of Driving". In each issue they highlight one letter to the Editor. In the latest issue (320) this is the letter:

"In 2058, the first commercial nuclear fusion reactors began operation, the resulting abundance of cheap, clean energy enabling physicists to make time travel a miraculous but hazardous reality.
One of the developers and first users of the time-travel system, Shinichi Eichhornchen, had a passion for old internal combustion engined cars, Lotuses in particular. He therefore seized the opportunity to travel back to 1970 and, posing as the motoring correspondent of the Diss Express, secured an interview with Colin Chapman. In awe at their meeting, nervously, he opened with the question: 'What specification would you want to see a Lotus having in the future, for example, in 2024?'
The faintest of smiles beneath a distant gaze settled on Chapman's face, that genius brain 'imagineering' all the capabilities that the next 54 years of new technologies could bestow upon his cars. His answer: 'Two seats, a 600bhp 2-litre V12, 500kg weight, and braking and cornering at 2 g.'
'Yes! It will have 600bhp!' exclaimed Shinichi excitedly. 'I'm from the future and I have seen it! It has a 600bhp, er, electric motor. And not two seats but five. It's a bit like a Range Rover, actually, but it doesn't go off-road. And it weighs 2500kg. And it will be made in China.'
At first, amused at the wild fantasies of this fool, Colin let out a chortle. But then his demeanor hardened and he reached for this telephone.
Shinichi Eichhornchen died in 1992, in the same psychiatric hospital he had been committed to after being sectioned for his own safety in Hethel on that day in 1970. He never once relented from his claims..."

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
For those not familiar there is an excellent British automotive magazine called EVO whose motto is "The Thrill of Driving". In each issue they highlight one letter to the Editor. In the latest issue (320) this is the letter:

"In 2058, the first commercial nuclear fusion reactors began operation, the resulting abundance of cheap, clean energy enabling physicists to make time travel a miraculous but hazardous reality.
One of the developers and first users of the time-travel system, Shinichi Eichhornchen, had a passion for old internal combustion engined cars, Lotuses in particular. He therefore seized the opportunity to travel back to 1970 and, posing as the motoring correspondent of the Diss Express, secured an interview with Colin Chapman. In awe at their meeting, nervously, he opened with the question: 'What specification would you want to see a Lotus having in the future, for example, in 2024?'
The faintest of smiles beneath a distant gaze settled on Chapman's face, that genius brain 'imagineering' all the capabilities that the next 54 years of new technologies could bestow upon his cars. His answer: 'Two seats, a 600bhp 2-litre V12, 500kg weight, and braking and cornering at 2 g.'
'Yes! It will have 600bhp!' exclaimed Shinichi excitedly. 'I'm from the future and I have seen it! It has a 600bhp, er, electric motor. And not two seats but five. It's a bit like a Range Rover, actually, but it doesn't go off-road. And it weighs 2500kg. And it will be made in China.'
At first, amused at the wild fantasies of this fool, Colin let out a chortle. But then his demeanor hardened and he reached for this telephone.
Shinichi Eichhornchen died in 1992, in the same psychiatric hospital he had been committed to after being sectioned for his own safety in Hethel on that day in 1970. He never once relented from his claims..."
Famously 'corners like it goes off the rails.'
Add triteness

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I am not currently in the target market segment for the Eletre or any of the other electric Lotus cars for that matter. I also don't like how the Chinese ownership is affecting the brand.

But EVO can kiss my @ss.

Liquid Hot Magma

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order

Bah! Unbelievable, laughable, far-fetched, and divorced from reality…

EVO is an excellent automotive magazine?