A brother from another mother? Maserati MC 20

4thedrivers

Reaction score
Would love to see a side-by-side comparison between the Emira and the MC 20. Exterior styling, interior design and powerplant choice all suggest a similar focus, with Italian flair. Hmmmm.

R1272

Emira Fan
Reaction score
someone created this a while ago to show how well the Emira design holds up against cars many multiples it's price. These aren't to scale, just cool to see the silhouettes. The MC-20 is awesome.

Screen Shot 2021-11-11 at 8.57.44 PM.png

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
someone created this a while ago to show how well the Emira design holds up against cars many multiples it's price. These aren't to scale, just cool to see the silhouettes. The MC-20 is awesome.

View attachment 6260

Emira is the best looking machine here. It holds up from every angle. I’m not in love with the MC-20’s Jar Jar Binks face. Looks great in profile though.

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Not a fan of those wheels on the Mas. But I do think that Matte white paint is incredible. If the Mas was 100K, I would still take the Emira.

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I had high expectations of the MC20 and it looks the part. Pity that many reviews find it a bit mediocre and its interior is a big let down too. In Harry Catchpole's review of the MC20 you can see the car bouncing around the road and the handling reviews point out its overall nervousness too. If Lotus tuned the handling of the MC20 it would be a monster I'm sure.

LotusB

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I prefer the MC20, but it's twice the price

It's more than 3-times the price. I considered one, but ultimately ruled it out. The dealer wouldn't share any information regarding allocations, production numbers and so on. I was very scared they wouldn't cap production (which they confirmed) and devalue it the same way McLaren did. I also wanted to see something in person, at least sit in it to see how well I'd fit and that wasn't an option. Lastly, although I'm in awe of the engine and F1 technology, it just seemed like a huge risk.

IMO the Emira is a much smarter buy. It won't have the exotic flavor of butterfly doors, carbon fiber tub, high-revving V6 engine making 621hp, Maserati panache, options, nor will it be as rare.... BUT... it'll also be much less temperamental, easier to live with and extremely affordable. I decided that if I'm spending $250k+ it wouldn't be to take a chance on Maserati.... it would be with a known commodity from Lamborghini and that beautiful V10. But the Lamborghini is a big-time compromise as well. As a taller person it was pretty hard to fit in the car.

Zardoz

Reaction score

View attachment 6260
Don’t like what’s going on on behind front wheel/ fender of Maserati. Vertical cut line goes nowhere. Incongruous

vantage

Reaction score
IMO the Emira is a much smarter buy. It won't have the exotic flavor of butterfly doors, carbon fiber tub, high-revving V6 engine making 621hp, Maserati panache, options, nor will it be as rare.... BUT... it'll also be much less temperamental, easier to live with and extremely affordable. I decided that if I'm spending $250k+ it wouldn't be to take a chance on Maserati.... it would be with a known commodity from Lamborghini and that beautiful V10. But the Lamborghini is a big-time compromise as well. As a taller person it was pretty hard to fit in the car.

I won't comment on which is the smarter buy since I don't know all that much about the MC20 BUT, I know a few things about Lotus ownership:

1) the community is amazing for a variety of reasons including know-how and general enthusiasm for the brand;

2) for whatever reason, you tend to focus less on values, whether you got the perfect spec, whether your car is 1 or 5 in that color, etc. and all the stuff that is should not be the focus of sports car ownership, but perhaps that will change with the Emira, though Lotus is an engineering-driven brand at heart;

3) I would definitely expect a lot more from a $250k car than $100k one, so expectations of the Emira are tempered somewhat by that.

TrickeeKiYay

Reaction score
With positive reviews on Top Gear of the Emira and MC20 in back to back weeks I would love to hear a comparison of them from Chris Harris.

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
I personally think the MC 20 looks great and is the best looking of the 4, followed by the Emira. I think Ferrari have lost the plot design wise, years ago.... very few cars of their interest me, even if I was in the market for one.
No doubt the tech and in and around the engine in the MC20 is far better than the Toyota engine, it has much more power and could sound incredible, although maybe you need to do a few things to release the full sound.
The interior of the MC 20 was nice to my memory and you would expect it to be...
BUT once again, we are comparing apples with oranges.... design wise ok, but otherwise its really as useful as comparing a toyota yaris gr with Mercedes Axxx AMG, very different price points and power outputs...

Id like to see a new alfa sports car.... that could be comparable...ish...

DaaS

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Just for reference 😁

Attachments

• LOTUS-GOODWOOD-FOS-22-c-JORDAN-BUTTERS-09978.jpg
    LOTUS-GOODWOOD-FOS-22-c-JORDAN-BUTTERS-09978.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 68

Johnson

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
It's interesting how the Italian cars just feel a little more curvaceous... the bumps and bulges a bit more pronounced. Whereas the British cars are more taught, with lines closer to the functional bits ("shrink wrapped"). Feminine vs functional?

Green

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I won't comment on which is the smarter buy since I don't know all that much about the MC20 BUT, I know a few things about Lotus ownership:

1) the community is amazing for a variety of reasons including know-how and general enthusiasm for the brand;

2) for whatever reason, you tend to focus less on values, whether you got the perfect spec, whether your car is 1 or 5 in that color, etc. and all the stuff that is should not be the focus of sports car ownership, but perhaps that will change with the Emira, though Lotus is an engineering-driven brand at heart;

3) I would definitely expect a lot more from a $250k car than $100k one, so expectations of the Emira are tempered somewhat by that.
They might be listed for $250 but try a google search to buy one. I did and there are none listed under $300. More like $340 to $380. Three times the Emira not really a comparison car.

simonb

Emira Fan
Reaction score
The car the 4c became, but going from £50K to £190K. I think it will do everything the Radford is trying to do, but just better