• The June 2024 Lotus Emira of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 June 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

$420.00 Oil change and HVAC water Diverter info.

Cwolf

Emira Fan
Reaction score
So the oil change at my dealer was $420 and I talked to the tech about the water diverter that was installed. He said it went from the front to the firewall and was about two feet wide. Hard to install but he thought it would fix the issue (Resistor was replaced as well).

This is comparable to the prices Acura charges for their service visits. It's a bit more than an oil change.

That being said, I just did my first oil change myself (at 750mi, to remove break-in metals) and it cost me a whopping $62. Or $75 if you include the cost of the fancy zigzag Lisle funnel.

This is comparable to the prices Acura charges for their service visits. It's a bit more than an oil change.

That being said, I just did my first oil change myself (at 750mi, to remove break-in metals) and it cost me a whopping $62. Or $75 if you include the cost of the fancy zigzag Lisle funnel.

I thoroughly detailed and changed the oil in my Porsche just yesterday… very easy and cheap if you have the proper tools (they don’t cost much). I spent $35 because I already had a spare filter and some extra oil.

For everyone raving about the driving experience of the Emira, how beautiful it is, how worth it is… I highly recommend doing your own oil changes and minor maintenance. You get a strange sense of bonding with the car when taking care of it yourself. You can bring it to life in a poetic sense of reciprocal engagement. I understand a lot of us have busy lives, but the car serves you with elation and big smiles… take care of it with your own hands as a thank you. It really is rewarding.

As the owner of an Acura sedan, I can tell you it doesn't cost anywhere near $420 to change the oil at a dealership. Find a new one, if that's what they're charging

As the owner of an Acura sedan, I can tell you it doesn't cost anywhere near $420 to change the oil at a dealership. Find a new one, if that's what they're charging
I leased an Acura TLX for 3 years and just turned it in in February, and I can tell you that every Acura dealer in this area overcharges by at least 300% quite intentionally. It's not a weird one-off.

I leased an Acura TLX for 3 years and just turned it in in February, and I can tell you that every Acura dealer in this area overcharges by at least 300% quite intentionally. It's not a weird one-off.

One example:

Rallye Acura Roslyn NY
Completed B1 Service Interval: $159.95

Comprised of:
Labor: $123.15
Oil, Filter and washer: $31.80
Plus tax.

This is one of the most expensive zip codes in the nation. I wouldn't tolerate a charge of $420,and frankly, even THIS is on the high side for an oil change and basic inspection.

One example:

Rallye Acura Roslyn NY

Comprised of:
Plus tax.

This is one of the most expensive zip codes in the nation. I wouldn't tolerate a charge of $420,and frankly, even THIS is on the high side for an oil change and basic inspection.
You should take that up with the folks who run Radley Acura in Falls Church, Virginia, and the other Acura dealers they've colluded with in the area to fix pricing.

The Northern VA market is absolutely bonkers with dealership service pricing. A BMW dealer here tried to charge me $1600 to swap the thermostat on my F31 328i. It's a 45 minute job and a $150 part.

Last edited:
You should take that up with the folks who run Radley Acura in Falls Church, Virginia, and the other Acura dealers they've colluded with in the area to fix pricing.

The Northern VA market is absolutely bonkers with dealership service pricing. A BMW dealer here tried to charge me $1600 to swap the thermostat on my F31 328i. It's a 45 minute job and a $150 part.
I EXPECT that from BMW! (Break My Wallet)

One example:

Rallye Acura Roslyn NY

Comprised of:
Plus tax.

Damn, that's cheap! If I could get $160 oil changes... I still would change my own oil, but it would be a tougher choice.