2023 - A full year of hobbies while waiting for Lotus...

SmallerBaller

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Obviously none of us have had our cars delivered on schedule, and as a US v6 base deposit, I have come to terms with the car not arriving until 2024 (if I can hold out that long). In the meantime, my hobby (besides my love of cars) is recreationally lifting weights to feel good and stay trim, and I have been neglecting cardio (ashamedly basically since Covid). This year is a wash for many of us expecting deliveries and my mind tends to be occupied desperately searching this forum for any shred of news or updates. So, I have decided that I am going to spend my spare time this year being more productive. I already lift, but I am planning on increasing intensity and frequency, re-adding the cardio I should have been doing all along, and cleaning up my diet.

If anyone else on this forum is also in need of getting more serious about exercise this year, or any other hobby that they have been slacking on and just want somewhere to post updates or have an 'accountability partner' of sorts, I thought it could be a good idea to have a thread for that!

I think it could be a helpful motivator, whatever the hobby, to have a place where you can reflect back at the end of the year and compare/ share accomplishments. (Please note, I am not trying to turn this into a thread where people post pictures of their bodies, if you want that you can go to a body building forum or something haha)

Or maybe this thread is too far off-topic, even for the off-topic section, and no one else struggles with keeping up their hobbies, and I will delete this. Either way!

BeHappy

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Think it’s a great idea 👍 I for one this year want to continue to improve my fitness and trim up 🚴 Dark nights spent just googling and on car forums hopefully this will decrease when car comes to enjoy and more physical activities rather than a virtual one

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm trying to get back into some cardio as well. Last year was hell for me personally, but I'm determined for 2023 to be a positive year where I can focus on my own physical and mental health through personal growth and getting back to some hobbies I used to really enjoy.

I used to run and would like to get back into doing 5-10k runs often. Never been interested in becoming a marathon runner, but I do enjoy biking, skateboarding, and of course driving! Hoping to do more of those this year. I actually just bought and set up a new mag resistance stationary bike this week next to my free weights and adjustable incline bench setup I already had. This should keep me going through the cold winter months while I can't get outside.

Last edited:
OP
SmallerBaller

SmallerBaller

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I'm trying to get back into some cardio as well. Last year was hell for me personally, but I'm determined for 2023 to be a positive year where I can focus on my own physical and mental health through personal growth and getting back to some hobbies I used to really enjoy.

I used to run and would like to get back into doing 5-10k runs often. Never been interested in becoming a marathon runner, but I do enjoy biking, skateboarding, and of course driving! Hoping to do more of those this year. I actually just bought and set up a new mag resistance stationary bike this week next to my free weights and adjustable incline bench setup I already had. This should keep me going through the cold winter months while I can't get outside.
Nice! You work wonders having a bench and some weights! I have a monster G3, which is a pretty complete trainer with pulleys, a half rack, lat pulldown, leg press, etc. as well as some bars and adjustable 5-90 powerblock dumbbells. I do NOT have any cardio equipment other than running shoes and a jump rope, so it has been very easy for me to slack off. I wish I could say because of the cold and snow, but mostly because of my own laziness.

Do you have a routine you follow? I am going to get back into a weekly Push, Pull, Legs, Arms Routine with core every lift day, then maybe try to work back up to two 5ks per week. I used to do something similar, so I dont think it is biting off more than I can chew.

I am with you on the marathon stuff... it is impressive, but I think it is worse for your body in the long term than semi regular 5-10ks.

OP
SmallerBaller

SmallerBaller

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Think it’s a great idea 👍 I for one this year want to continue to improve my fitness and trim up 🚴 Dark nights spent just googling and on car forums hopefully this will decrease when car comes to enjoy and more physical activities rather than a virtual one
Do you do biking? I have no cardio equipment, maybe I should get a bike instead of just boring old running.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Nice!
I have a new gym 🏋️‍♂️ programme and bought myself a fly rod to get a little more zen doing some fishing this year.
Also going to travel a lot more. Madrid booked in for Feb and Norway June. Will be more...

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Cardio is for the weak!

Seriously, the most cardio I do is a brisk walk with my wife. Having a good muscle base keeps your metabolism high. I do just enough cardio for stamina for my weight training sets.

Remember, mammals have a set number of cell splits before we age off and die, and cardio speeds up the rate of cell division, which is why pro athletes have shorter lives... It becomes a balance between having a healthy lifestyle, but not prematurely exhausting your "life force".

OP
SmallerBaller

SmallerBaller

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Nice!
I have a new gym 🏋️‍♂️ programme and bought myself a fly rod to get a little more zen doing some fishing this year.
Also going to travel a lot more. Madrid booked in for Feb and Norway June. Will be more...
Awesome! What kind of gym program, if you dont mind me asking? I know my fiance is trying out a cross-fit/ calisthenics routine that she likes because it burns calories... not my cup of tea but different things work for different people! I am more of a slow paced, free-weights kind of person! I also think cross fit looks dangerous, but you could say the same about any exercise with bad form, so whatever floats her boat!

Cant agree with you on the fishing... when I was a little kid I hooked and ripped through my own ear with my little looney toons rod... left a bad taste in my mouth ever since hahaha!

OP
SmallerBaller

SmallerBaller

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Cardio is for the weak!

Seriously, the most cardio I do is a brisk walk with my wife. Having a good muscle base keeps your metabolism high. I do just enough cardio for stamina for my weight training sets.

Remember, mammals have a set number of cell splits before we age off and die, and cardio speeds up the rate of cell division, which is why pro athletes have shorter lives... It becomes a balance between having a healthy lifestyle, but not prematurely exhausting your "life force".
I have never heard this, that is an interesting outlook! I certainly dont go crazy with cardio, but I would like to not have a heart attack when I am 50! I am guilty of eating out too much. Fatty american food combined with not moving is a bad recipe, too!

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you have a routine you follow? I am going to get back into a weekly Push, Pull, Legs, Arms Routine with core every lift day, then maybe try to work back up to two 5ks per week. I used to do something similar, so I dont think it is biting off more than I can chew.

I used to when I went to the gym. Simple stuff.. back and bis one day, chest/tris, shoulders and legs and start end with a quick mile on the treadmill and mix in some core exercises/stretches here and there. I was pretty good with it for a couple years until my gym buddy moved across the country. Since then I bailed on the gym, but still try to get out an stay active as much as possible. I have 2 crazy boston terriers that like to run, so that's motivation to get out to the park too!

My goal is to hit the free weights every other day, and then run or bike every other. Even if it's just for 20 min in the morning before work. Gotta get back to that routine.

OP
SmallerBaller

SmallerBaller

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I used to when I went to the gym. Simple stuff.. back and bis one day, chest/tris, shoulders and legs and start end with a quick mile on the treadmill and mix in some core exercises/stretches here and there. I was pretty good with it for a couple years until my gym buddy moved across the country. Since then I bailed on the gym, but still try to get out an stay active as much as possible. I have 2 crazy boston terriers that like to run, so that's motivation to get out to the park too!

My goal is to hit the free weights every other day, and then run or bike every other. Even if it's just for 20 min in the morning before work. Gotta get back to that routine.
That's a great goal! And now you still have gym buddies, theyre just a different species! That is kind of what happened to me, my gym buddy moved and I kinda fell off a bit.

I think my goal for the end of this year will be run a total of 500km, and 1 rep goals are flat bench 250lb, Squat 315lb, Deadlift 405lb. A variation of the 4-6-8 plates goal. Not sure if I will hit that squat just because I am kind of afraid of 1 rep max on squats and my 'spotter' is just the rack safety... seen one too many failed attempt videos I think.

Pops68

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Ah you youngin's all this workin' out n stuff. I did a bunch of that over the years. Back then I never considered walking any kind of work out but now that I'm getting older at 67 I find walking much easier on the joints than running which I only do if I think something that wants to eat me is chasing me. I walk 3 miles a day and still do some weight training, but not on a rigid schedule. I doubt I'll ever make that 185lb weight limit for a Jetson One so I'm sticking with cars! My current hobby is researching a new car for the boss. I'm trying to find one that might entertain me for the time being too so the BMW X6 m50i is looking like a good bet..:) Good to have goals so good luck with all those lifting regimens!!

Last edited:

lion shf

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Obviously none of us have had our cars delivered on schedule, and as a US v6 base deposit, I have come to terms with the car not arriving until 2024 (if I can hold out that long). In the meantime, my hobby (besides my love of cars) is recreationally lifting weights to feel good and stay trim, and I have been neglecting cardio (ashamedly basically since Covid). This year is a wash for many of us expecting deliveries and my mind tends to be occupied desperately searching this forum for any shred of news or updates. So, I have decided that I am going to spend my spare time this year being more productive. I already lift, but I am planning on increasing intensity and frequency, re-adding the cardio I should have been doing all along, and cleaning up my diet.

If anyone else on this forum is also in need of getting more serious about exercise this year, or any other hobby that they have been slacking on and just want somewhere to post updates or have an 'accountability partner' of sorts, I thought it could be a good idea to have a thread for that!

I think it could be a helpful motivator, whatever the hobby, to have a place where you can reflect back at the end of the year and compare/ share accomplishments. (Please note, I am not trying to turn this into a thread where people post pictures of their bodies, if you want that you can go to a body building forum or something haha)

Or maybe this thread is too far off-topic, even for the off-topic section, and no one else struggles with keeping up their hobbies, and I will delete this. Either way!
I’ve chosen to drink better bourbon and chase my wife around more often.

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

Resolved: Worth-the-wait now spent weight-lifting.

Bilbao-Emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
For 2023, I intend improving my hobby of lifting.

I am very good at lifting the champagne glass

motorpool

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Good thread starter. For me, I exercise everyday but I want/need to get back to lifting weights. I had an accident that sidelined me for over a year so slowly ramping that back up. I have raced motorcycles for 30 years and had a real bad accident 12 years ago and I needed to fill that void of competition so I got into Ironman, running half/full marathon, Spartan, ... So I will continue to do these hobbies but really want to get into autocross and track as I miss the speed aspect. Here are my by the numbers for the year that I submitted for work (not bad for a 50+).
1673052551214.png

OP
SmallerBaller

SmallerBaller

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Ah you youngin's all this workin' out n stuff. I did a bunch of that over the years. Back then I never considered walking any kind of work out but now that I'm getting older at 67 I find walking much easier on the joints than running which I only do if I think something that wants to eat me is chasing me. I walk 3 miles a day and still do some weight training, but not on a rigid schedule. I doubt I'll ever make that 185lb weight limit for a Jetson One so I'm sticking with cars! My current hobby is researching a new car for the boss. I'm trying to find one that might entertain me for the time being too so the BMW m50i is looking like a good bet..:) Good to have goals so good luck with all those lifting regimens!!
Hey, walking and occasional weight lifting at 67 is awesome! Hope I am able to do that! Researching cars is a great hobby, it has just been consuming me a little too much lately... wonder why I could be left wanting, with such an awesome experience like waiting for an Emira (sarcasm)

OP
SmallerBaller

SmallerBaller

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Good thread starter. For me, I exercise everyday but I want/need to get back to lifting weights. I had an accident that sidelined me for over a year so slowly ramping that back up. I have raced motorcycles for 30 years and had a real bad accident 12 years ago and I needed to fill that void of competition so I got into Ironman, running half/full marathon, Spartan, ... So I will continue to do these hobbies but really want to get into autocross and track as I miss the speed aspect. Here are my by the numbers for the year that I submitted for work (not bad for a 50+). View attachment 20981
That is awesome! You definitely have cardio figured out!! Ironically, the most impressive thing on there is your average sleep to me! How the heck do you swing that?!? I keep track of my numbers on a big whiteboard, but maybe this year I will do it more digitally so I have more of a before and after and trends to observe!

OP
SmallerBaller

SmallerBaller

Emira Fan
Reaction score
For 2023, I intend improving my hobby of lifting.

I am very good at lifting the champagne glass
Everyone has their own hobby! Everyone I work with makes fun of me when we go on work trips or have events at golf clubs, etc. because I dont drink at all (or seemingly do anything considered conventionally fun) so I order chocolate milks, if they have them. For some reason, people find that hilarious! Guess I am 7 years old at heart!

motorpool

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
That is awesome! You definitely have cardio figured out!! Ironically, the most impressive thing on there is your average sleep to me! How the heck do you swing that?!? I keep track of my numbers on a big whiteboard, but maybe this year I will do it more digitally so I have more of a before and after and trends to observe!
And I want my sleep to be closer to 8.5 ... if I could get my blasted car and stop checking the forums/FB at night for any new news then I could get more restful sleep :)))))) I'm fortunate in that most of my staff are international so my work hours tend to start later morning to early eve. I've been tracking numbers for several years ; I'm definitely much more consistent and want to maintain or best each year. It's good to look back and see progression as I know at some point it will slow down. But I did get smoked on the Peloton yesterday by a 60+ so I plan to work it as long as I can.