• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Lotus Emira vs MKV Toyota Supra (2020+)

supersix

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I did a lot of research and was considering purchasing the new Toyota Supra last year. The motor was impressive but there were a few things that eventually turned me away from buying it. I thought it would be interesting to see how it stacked up against the Emira.

2020-toyota-supra-specs.jpg

2020 + Toyota Supra
------------------------------
  • Wheelbase: 97.2 Inches
  • Overall Length: 172.5 Inches
  • Overall Width: 73 Inches
  • Overall Height: 50.9 Inches
  • Curb Weight: 3,397 Pounds
2020 + Toyota Supra V6 Engine Specs
  • Engine: 3.0L Twin-Scroll Turbocharged V6
  • Horsepower: 335 hp
  • Torque: 365 lb-ft
  • Top Speed: 155 mph (electronically limited)
  • 0-60 MPH Time: 4.1 seconds

2022 Lotus Emira
  • Wheelbase 101.3 in (2,573 mm)
  • Length 173.7 in (4,412 mm)
  • Width 74.6 in (1,895 mm)
  • Height 48.2 in (1,224 mm)
  • Curb weight 3,097 lb (1,405 kg)
  • Top speed: 191 mph

Last edited:

DaaS

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Good to know! I actually have one in that exact color (Refraction Blue - 1 of 500) and I totally enjoy driving it.

The B58 engine/ZF transmission combo is fantastic. Great for street and moderate track duty in stock form, but I never considered cross shopping it against a Lotus. I have a deposit down for an Emira and I plan to keep the Supra.

At least most internet warriors have stopped making fun of the new Supra. If anything, I only get compliments from kids and adults of all ages. At the end of the day, it is a relatively good handling, solid, fun to drive car for under $60K USD.

Attachments

• 76752462-1A18-4C29-BD09-FE52F0A60CFA.jpeg
    76752462-1A18-4C29-BD09-FE52F0A60CFA.jpeg
    481.5 KB · Views: 314
OP
supersix

supersix

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good to know! I actually have one in that exact color (Refraction Blue - 1 of 500) and I totally enjoy driving it.

The B58 engine/ZF transmission combo is fantastic. Great for street and moderate track duty in stock form, but I never considered cross shopping it against a Lotus. I have a deposit down for an Emira and I plan to keep the Supra.

At least most internet warriors have stopped making fun of the new Supra. If anything, I only get compliments from kids and adults of all ages. At the end of the day, it is a relatively good handling, solid, fun to drive car for under $60K USD.
Nice Supra! It's amazing how capable that motor and transmission are and with few little mods the amount of power it can produce.

Lolub

Reaction score
I did a lot of research and was considering purchasing the new Toyota Supra last year. The motor was impressive but there were a few things that eventually turned me away from buying it. I thought it would be interesting to see how it stacked up against the Emira.

View attachment 202

2020 + Toyota Supra
  • Wheelbase: 97.2 Inches
  • Overall Length: 172.5 Inches
  • Overall Width: 73 Inches
  • Overall Height: 50.9 Inches
  • Curb Weight: 3,397 Pounds
2020 + Toyota Supra V6 Engine Specs
  • Engine: 3.0L Twin-Scroll Turbocharged V6
  • Horsepower: 335 hp
  • Torque: 365 lb-ft
  • Top Speed: 155 mph (electronically limited)
  • 0-60 MPH Time: 4.1 seconds

2022 Lotus Emira
  • Wheelbase 101.3 in (2,573 mm)
  • Length 173.7 in (4,412 mm)
  • Width 74.6 in (1,895 mm)
  • Height 48.2 in (1,224 mm)
  • Curb weight 3,097 lb (1,405 kg)
  • Top speed: 191 mph
Curious, I had the same debate myself. What turned you away from the Supra? I'm a previous owner of two MK4s (turbo and non-turbo). Thought about returning to the Supra, but couldn't pull the trigger.

Davebeats

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I looked at the Supra's before deciding on the Emira, the Supra has a ton of aftermarket support, and also the better dealer network. The Emira will be less likely to pop up on your daily commute though or at a car show, also having the manual in the Emira was a big plus, but I'm hearing now the Supra may be getting one as well.

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I briefly considered it too as its got a lot of good tech (engine, ZF box) for the coin.

I know its a personal thing, but the Supra interior looks plasticy/bulky to me and is using prior gen BMW infotainment when the sister Z4 car has the more modern BMW infotainment system. Then there's the design issue with the dash light meter meaning the infotainment screen is always dull and lacking brightness. Shine a torch on the light meter and the screen will light up. Plus the wind buffeting when opening the side window that can be fixed by a $5 stick on plastic part... none of which was fixed with the last Supra update. Then there's all the fake plastic vents...

Truth be told I'd rather the Z4.

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I didn't really become interested in the new Supra. I can't quite put a finger on why. I guess I was more of a Honda fan during the glory days of Japanese sports cars during the 90s and leading into the 2000s. I've been on more of a European kick for the past 15 years and the Lotus really caught my attention. I put a deposit down a few days after learning about its planned existence.

I guess I'm looking for more of a unique ownership experience right now, with an elevated but controllable level of risk. Another issue I have with the Supra is the styling, which I don't find appealing - sorry to say to those who do find it appealing. I'm sure it's a very fine vehicle given the engineering behind it.

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I didn't seriously consider the Supra for a few reasons

- I find the design too fussy and odd.
- Interior is weirdly claustrophobic. Felt like a Camaro in there.
- No manual (yet?)
- Not as special as the Lotus (any Lotus)

I wouldn't naysay someone choosing one though, cool cars.

PaulP

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I just don’t like the looks. The nose especially. I am however still debating the z4 and the upcoming M2

Johnson

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The Supra is definitely an odd design… won’t age well. But as a sports car it‘s a hoot to drive.

I’d actually take a new Nissan Z over this though. More cohesive design, and a gorgeous engine. And manual!

1649889753158.jpeg

Next Decade

Reaction score
The Supra is definitely an odd design… won’t age well. But as a sports car it‘s a hoot to drive.

I’d actually take a new Nissan Z over this though. More cohesive design, and a gorgeous engine. And manual!

View attachment 4498
Nissan has completely lost allure in every aspect for me. I’d could honestly be considered a fan boy since my first car was a 93 S13 hatch. I still have that car and the same year/model coupe version.

That being said, Nissan is so far down the line of things I’d consider at this point, it’s rather sad. They haven’t done anything modern since the first release of the R35. The Nissan glory days are over and all of the engineering talent of that time has either been poached, or retired. Even the new Z isn’t new. They aren’t fooling anyone with the facelift. It’s the same chassis as the outgoing 370Z. Not that it’s inherently a bad thing because it’s a good car. However, this is essentially the embodiment of the “modern” Nissan. Extract as much use from old tech as possible and leave innovation to the big boys.

When your bottom line is glued together by barebones rentals and subprime loans for dented white maxima race cars, it doesn’t inspire confidence. The Nissan we all knew and loved is dead. They are not coming back any time soon and if they do, it won’t be this. By the time they retire the new Z, its Z34 chassis will be old enough to rent one of their shitty cars from Hertz.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
The body panel lines still bother me, but it's a cool car regardless. I'm looking forward to reviews of the manual transmission version that's rumored...

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Basically the same BMW I6T engine has a manual bolted to it in the M3 / M4 base (non-competition models). Don't see why this can't be made available in the Supra. Hope they fix the dumb light sensor and wind buffeting design problems in the next update.

darkling

Emira Fan
Reaction score
easy to choose the supra is a bastardization on toyota and sooooo damn ugly. Takes 20k in body kits to even try and salvage it

PaulP

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score

View attachment 4498
Ya I've eyed this one a few times myself. My second car was a Datsun 310 and I always wanted a Z car! That one above is a beauty. Can't order one yet though and I don't think configurator online

Edit: @Next Decade comments read - well that's sad.

Last edited:

Maverick1

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Never liked the looks of the new Supra, way too busy looking, kind of the opposite of the Emira.
Plus, I never really looked twice since it only came in automatic, and who in their right mind wants an automatic sports car?😜
I've read that the new 2022 BRZ and GR86 in manual are quite fun, little sports cars, much better than their previous generations.

DaaS

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Wow, didn't realize there was so much hatred out there for the current Supra. Looks aside, it is a very solid and fun car. It is no Evora in driving experience, but the overall interior quality is right up there with current BMW products in this price range. Supra is half the price (USD $50s loaded) vs Evora/Emira (USD $90s loaded), but it is not half the car. IMO it is not a real competition for the Emira either. When optioned similarly, there is a very big price gap and driving dynamics are very different. Not to mention, Toyota dealerships are everywhere!

DaaS

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I've read that the new 2022 BRZ and GR86 in manual are quite fun, little sports cars, much better than their previous generations.
I had a 2021 BRZ in manual mostly for track duty and it was great fun. But once you are spoiled with higher end cars, BRZ/86 feel cheap as an every day car. Agree that the new gen is improved everywhere, but it feels like a $30K new car from Japan. Not knocking the car... it's just built to a certain price point. It's a great starter sports car.