$1149$ Oil change price

To my shock, my car recently was towed from KC to St. Louis for issues related to the car not starting consistently. It keep getting worse and finally throwing a code I shipped it to Holman Lotus. Since it was already there I decided to have the oil flushed. So I asked my service advisor to give me a price quote. To my shock I thought she had put an extra 1 in front of the 1149. I reminded her that this was a Toyota engine not Ferrari, but she clearly stated that she was correct and they charge 300hr.

Has anyone else experienced this price for an oil change?? How would it take 3 hours to perform an oil change? Considering I live in KC and the dealership is 3hrs away I have no intention to take it back there for the yearly scheduled service with 300hr. Will it effect my warranty if I do my oil changes myself.

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
So I called Holman today since I purchased my car there. I asked how much the 1year/10K mile dealer require service would cost and they it was about $1200 (stating that they were not positive as they have not performed any at this time, but that this is a rough estimate.)
When I asked how much just an oil change would be they asked a question that I was surprised mattered. They asked if you wanted the oil change to include updating the cars oil change tracking, or just change the oil. They then said that to have it changed and to update the car to reflect that was $800. They didn't quote me what the cost of just changing the oil would be on it's own.

Still painfully expensive and I'm not sure why updating the car matters.

Updating the "oil change tracking" costs $800? Do what now?

You should call Lotus USA and see if that jives with what they expect their dealers to be offering as warranty-required maintenance.

Also, here you go, I saved you $800. Thirty second job, printed right in the Owner's Handbook. You're welcome.

1715788220796.png

KCMO68_510

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

You should call Lotus USA and see if that jives with what they expect their dealers to be offering as warranty-required maintenance.

Also, here you go, I saved you $800. Thirty second job, printed right in the Owner's Handbook. You're welcome.

View attachment 43571
I wasn't going to pay the $800.... I was just trying to check what Holman is charging to see if there was a misunderstanding. I think there might have been... but it still leaves a VERY high number either way.

ManOfSteel

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
So I called Holman today since I purchased my car there. I asked how much the 1year/10K mile dealer require service would cost and they it was about $1200 (stating that they were not positive as they have not performed any at this time, but that this is a rough estimate.)
When I asked how much just an oil change would be they asked a question that I was surprised mattered. They asked if you wanted the oil change to include updating the cars oil change tracking, or just change the oil. They then said that to have it changed and to update the car to reflect that was $800. They didn't quote me what the cost of just changing the oil would be on it's own.

Still painfully expensive and I'm not sure why updating the car matters.

I'm just curious if the price quoted by the OP was accidently the quote for the 1st year service/10K mile oil change.

Anyone else call other dealers and get estimates on what the cost of the 1 year dealer required service would cost?

Also, I'm not sure what else is involved in the 1 year dealer required service besides requiring the oil change.
WABOS2.png

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
These prices are just highway robbery. At the most they should be charging maybe $200 which includes oil and filter.

Porter

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I wasn't going to pay the $800.... I was just trying to check what Holman is charging to see if there was a misunderstanding. I think there might have been... but it still leaves a VERY high number either way.

At this point it seems as though the service writer made an egregious math error, has repeated it with several customers, and is now trying to save face by inventing an $800 service to try to justify their utterly insane quoted numbers.

JimH

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

All of this nonsense certainly makes the UK fixed price servicing look reasonable, even if the first service is just an oil and filter change, do any firmware updates outstanding and recalls necessary, update SatNav maps, a basic safety check and a wash if required…..

BobbyG

Reaction score
At this point it seems as though the service writer made an egregious math error, has repeated it with several customers, and is now trying to save face by inventing an $800 service to try to justify their utterly insane quoted numbers.
I can confirm the $1149 number was quoted to me as well. Hard to wrap your head around that price.

KCMO68_510

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
They were price gouging orphaned cars. Slimy.
Selling reserved cars at MSRP and then selling unreserved cars at whatever the market will bear has happened on Emiras at many dealerships. I'd argue that even other car brands won't sell any of their exclusive sports cars at MSRP and only sell at a market rate.

Feel free to go after their service prices, but the sales team isn't doing anything unique here to receive criticism.

OP
O

On rails

Reaction score

View attachment 43571
I made the tell me how much they charge per hour and even at the 300hr rate, how in hell does it take 3 1/2 hours to change the oil. It might take me an hour to do it my first time because Ive never done it. They will only get my warranty work going forward. My car has been there over 2 weeks and they had to take the entire dash out. I wonder if they are charging Lotus 300hr for the warranty work. For that price the dash better be put together better than the it came from the factory.

Liquid Hot Magma

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I made the tell me how much they charge per hour and even at the 300hr rate, how in hell does it take 3 1/2 hours to change the oil. It might take me an hour to do it my first time because Ive never done it. They will only get my warranty work going forward. My car has been there over 2 weeks and they had to take the entire dash out. I wonder if they are charging Lotus 300hr for the warranty work. For that price the dash better be put together better than the it came from the factory.
3-1/2 hrs to change the oil?! Seems like their technicians could use an oil change refresher course. They should be made to sign up at this forum and get a schooling from @DaaS, @Porter, @azlambo, and @Totally Average.

Porter

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Don't forget the $800 charge to hold the reset button on the end of the turn signal stalk for 10 seconds while starting the car. That takes an extreme amount of training and expertise.

ADC

Just Jazzed About Being On The Show
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I was expecting to see this was some sort of misunderstanding, or they use unicorn blood (due to its superior viscosity and anti-wear properties), but no... they have chosen the path of Extreme Piss Taking on labour. wow. Certainly justifies the cost of a lift setup at home for you.

JonFuller

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
We have fixed price servicing at Lotus here in the UK.

Bell & Colvill website has this:... So about $540 for the 1st (10K miles) service.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-16 at 10.08.57.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-16 at 10.08.57.png
    115.9 KB · Views: 32

KAR120C

Get off my lawn!
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Just had my oil changed at Gator. They only charged for 1 hour, and they said that a lot of that time is just removing/installing the rear undertray to get to the engine which is 30 bolts.

I suppose Jiffy Lube would have been less expensive, but then again that would be an additional 30 bolts that get cross threaded.

Aero

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Just had my oil changed at Gator. They only charged for 1 hour, and they said that a lot of that time is just removing/installing the rear undertray to get to the engine which is 30 bolts.

I suppose Jiffy Lube would have been less expensive, but then again that would be an additional 30 bolts that get cross threaded.
And wouldve gotten your trans fluid emptied/drained for free..and an extra 6 quarts of oil added. ;)

JimH

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
We have fixed price servicing at Lotus here in the UK.

Bell & Colvill website has this:... So about $540 for the 1st (10K miles) service.
Hmmm……not that fixed then….. Check years 2 and 4…..

trackday14

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score

Cost? It would be a good baseline for comparison…