Looks like Ford is coming out with a competitor

eriegz

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I feel like something else has to be afoot. That GTD thing is a pretty awful styling exercise, plus the shape doesn't make any sense for a mid-engine car.

I literally can't imagine a world where Ford has Multimatic build a mid-engine vehicle on a bespoke chassis, and makes it look like that. No amount of vape haze or flat-brim hat pulled too low can improve the visual.
In 24 hours we shall find out! 😅

Dragoon

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
F3sBvccXEAAPZnD.jpeg

eriegz

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
For what it's worth, this Jalopnik article below was published just under an hour ago and suggests that the "Mustang GTD" car seen in those leaked images from yesterday might be a road-legal version of the Mustang GT3 race car. Also, nowhere in the article is it suggested or assumed that the GTD has a mid-engine layout:

Last edited:

Callabrator

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
For what it's worth, this Jalopnik article below was published just under and hour ago and suggests that the "Mustang GTD" car seen in those leaked images from yesterday might be a road-legal version of the Mustang GT3 race car. Also, nowhere in the article is it suggested or assumed that the GTD has a mid-engine layout:

That actually makes some more sense. Given the way it looks I'd say it's possible that it's front-mid-engined...which is far less interesting IMO.

Dragoon

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Has anyone heard what time the announcement is going to be?

Tokion

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Yeah, that would be awesome. I imagine the C8 is their main focus of competition, so it should be priced accordingly. Though it looks more like a Mustang than a Ford GT in these leaked pics..

View attachment 30303
If the real thing looks anything like this, the Emira will have no problem beating it in every “beauty contest” 😅

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Yeah this thing is going to basically be more than a half million dollars.
Yep, agreed. The image is showing inboard, pushrod suspension. They aren't putting that on an affordable MR configuration sports car.

Unless they've cracked some manufacturing cheat code that I don't know about, this is going to be some kind of wild supercar thing, in the class above the Corvette but maybe below where the Ford GT was.

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I feel like something else has to be afoot. That GTD thing is a pretty awful styling exercise, plus the shape doesn't make any sense for a mid-engine car.

I literally can't imagine a world where Ford has Multimatic build a mid-engine vehicle on a bespoke chassis, and makes it look like that. No amount of vape haze or flat-brim hat pulled too low can solve for the visual disconnect compared to what people generally expect from the styling of a mid-engine sports car.

Unless the detail that the rumors missed is that it's front-mid-engined. Which looks like it would still be tough with this packaging, but if the Miata can do it...

EDIT: just saw this was already mentioned

Porter

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Unless the detail that the rumors missed is that it's front-mid-engined. Which looks like it would still be tough with this packaging, but if the Miata can do it...

EDIT: just saw this was already mentioned
But even so, the GTD (If a version of the GT3 race car) would more likely use Short-Long-Arm suspension like that vehicle does, also known as unequal length double wishbone. Not an inboard setup like pictured in the teaser shot.

Take a look below... the picture shows a pair of spring/damper assemblies mounted at engineered angles to one another, and both units have extremely short stroke with short springs. That's sort of fascinating, and raises some really interesting possibilities for the geometry they might be using.

1692299477831.png

Dragoon

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
But even so, the GTD (If a version of the GT3 race car) would more likely use Short-Long-Arm suspension like that vehicle does, also known as unequal length double wishbone. Not an inboard setup like pictured in the teaser shot.

Take a look below... the picture shows a pair of spring/damper assemblies mounted at engineered angles to one another, and both units have extremely short stroke with short springs. That's sort of fascinating, and raises some really interesting possibilities for the geometry they might be using.

View attachment 30365
Could this inboard setup just be in the rear of the vehicle to help make room for the suspension components if it is indeed a mid-engine setup?

DerTheDer

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I see all this leak stuff, but isnt today the debut day? I cant find any info on the actual debut from Ford.

Porter

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Could this inboard setup just be in the rear of the vehicle to help make room for the suspension components if it is indeed a mid-engine setup?
I mean that's certainly possible, but I'm not sure what space it would save. It would have to be a radically different suspension design to need that sort of accommodation.

I've seen some weird stuff before though, so who knows. I even saw a cantilever setup once that turned 90deg at the pivot and mounted the damper along a frame rail. So anything is possible.

Callabrator

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
The fact that the premier is in an hour and is nowhere to be found on ford.com tells me that this will be non-mainstream, expensive AF enthusiast car made in small numbers. Which further makes sense that it's being announced at Monterey vs something like the Detroit Auto Show. Still gunna tune in though

(*edit* corrected time)

Last edited: