• The June 2024 Lotus Emira of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 June 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Is Paint Protection needed?

DerTheDer

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I plan on getting it, but to those whom have already had their cars, can you show the rocker panels? Any rock chip? Any areas we should 100% get it on?

Also if you have not had it, any regrets?

I plan on getting it, but to those whom have already had their cars, can you show the rocker panels? Any rock chip? Any areas we should 100% get it on?

Also if you have not had it, any regrets?
I think it’s personal…a good friend has 4 very high end sports cars and enjoys all of them and goes to the track and never PPFs, he tends to flip them as new ones come in. Anyone who sees the cars isn’t noticing the little dings and he probably won’t keep them forever. On the other hand when I get my Emira I plan to keep it forever and will be haunted by a single chip that I know is there that nobody else notices 🤣. I plan on doing full even though the partial is probably most sufficient - it’s the fear that just your luck someone walks by and scratches the door panel with a ring or something. Interesting enough that’s where I tend to notice it happens on most cars…kinda towards the rear 3/4 waist high.

I’ve done 5k miles it’s got no PPF (it’s only been ceramic coated). The only mark I’ve seen is a very small scratch up on the a-piller from a motorway stone…

Despite comments about soft paint (which is very true for the black roof paint on early cars - hence the ceramic coat) the rest of the paint has been remarkable chip resilient.

I'm probably in the minority, but I never liked the look of PPF. I recognize many will say if done correctly you can't see it, but I always seem to pick up on that thin black line that forms as dirt inevitably gets stuck along the seam.

On the flip side, I always love when original owners get it, and I pick up a car second hand from them. My last car was 15 years old, fully wrapped, yellowing with age, and I peeled it off and it looked like a brand new car underneath! Thanks, previous owner!

I would definitely go for the PPF, as others have mentioned the paint isnt the best/thickest, also with PPF you end up having to wash the car much less.... some have blamed various electrical issues on water getting into the electronics...

I'm likely to just DIY ceramic coating with CQUARTZ UK 3.0.

Granted I tracked all of my previous Lotus, but the star shield/ppf took a hell of a beating and I was glad I had it on the vehicle to protect the paint. I've normally done front/fenders/rocker panels, but this time I'm going full coverage of xpel from Gator since it has a 10 year comprehensive warranty.

I’ve a half ppf’d evora - from new, I think lotus cars USA “did it at the port”.

There is no way I’m not getting at least the front done. After that, it becomes a question of resources.
My evora is only half protected, but the half that isn’t is in low risk areas and the paint is perfect.

I can see rock chips in the ppf on the nose that would have otherwise been paint chips.

So yes, some minimum level of ppf is advised. I like my cars to be perfect… it’s just how I’m wired.

I'm probably in the minority, but I never liked the look of PPF. I recognize many will say if done correctly you can't see it, but I always seem to pick up on that thin black line that forms as dirt inevitably gets stuck along the seam.

On the flip side, I always love when original owners get it, and I pick up a car second hand from them. My last car was 15 years old, fully wrapped, yellowing with age, and I peeled it off and it looked like a brand new car underneath! Thanks, previous owner!

I always liked the analogy that ppf is like dating a virgin super model and not sleeping with her/him to preserve them for the next person.

Got full PPF done on mine (via Topaz). Glad I did ..... Drove the Black Mountain Pass today and some surrounding roads and the car is caked in grit. salt and dirt! Neighbour asked if I'd been rallying :)

Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com BanC Tech JUBU Performance

Latest posts

Back