GT4 at Macau

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Thinking about this more. The emiras dominated that race and China is a huge market for the lotus. It’s the main reason they have introduced the turbo 4 to deal with their tax situation. So it was an A+ marketing stunt beating AMGs, M4s and importantly cayman GT4s. Feels like geely must have pulled some strings to give them every advantage.
And no coincidence that just a week later it’s the Guangzhou Auto Show, where Lotus have a huge stand and are showing one of the winning Emira GT4s alongside a Fittipaldi Evija and examples of Emira and Eletre road cars. Now they just need to sort out that Evija ‘Ring record….

PaulMc

Reaction score
We all know the emira GT4 is a dedicated race car but uses the same platform and engine as the road going cars. The biggest gain is the competition paddle gearbox and some inroads to reduced weight. The engine is largely the same but detuned from the 455 bhp to 430 I think to qualify for the GT4 series more aero and significant changes to the suspension settings and dampers. Its interesting to see that in Macau both Emiras left the rest of the field some 12 plus seconds behind including such cars as GT4 Porsche . A one two finish looked easy for Lotus.Its encouraging to see this new platform has such potential and certainly got my attention .
I wish Lotus use this platform to replace the Exige S3 with a stripped base model ,carbon seats etc to allow us Exige die hards to have a viable replacement.It would be a much easier car to use daily as well as on track too.

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I suspect one of the factors is a lower center of gravity. The cars looked real agile on the course. Almost as if they could run circles around the other cars. Looking forward to the next race. Would love to see a dominant run with the GT4.

Curious, why would a strip downed version be easier to daily?

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
We all know the emira GT4 is a dedicated race car but uses the same platform and engine as the road going cars. The biggest gain is the competition paddle gearbox and some inroads to reduced weight. The engine is largely the same but detuned from the 455 bhp to 430 I think to qualify for the GT4 series more aero and significant changes to the suspension settings and dampers. Its interesting to see that in Macau both Emiras left the rest of the field some 12 plus seconds behind including such cars as GT4 Porsche . A one two finish looked easy for Lotus.Its encouraging to see this new platform has such potential and certainly got my attention .
I wish Lotus use this platform to replace the Exige S3 with a stripped base model ,carbon seats etc to allow us Exige die hards to have a viable replacement.It would be a much easier car to use daily as well as on track too.
As a new car in GT4, I suspect the BOP handicap for Macau was only based on paper stats. That will have helped the Emira, as some of its competitiveness isn’t directly linked to the headline numbers.

The more cynical might wonder if Geeley could influence the handicapping for their first Emira GT4 race on home territory.

Given their success at Macau, they’ll face a harsher BOP adjustment in the next round. It’ll be interesting to see how much that is and if they can still stay up the front. It would be great to have Lotus being competitive in motorsport again.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
As a new car in GT4, I suspect the BOP handicap for Macau was only based on paper stats. That will have helped the Emira, as some of its competitiveness isn’t directly linked to the headline numbers.

The more cynical might wonder if Geeley could influence the handicapping for their first Emira GT4 race on home territory.

Given their success at Macau, they’ll face a harsher BOP adjustment in the next round. It’ll be interesting to see how much that is and if they can still stay up the front. It would be great to have Lotus being competitive in motorsport again.
When's the next race?

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score

I always forget about Googling for some reason Here is an article I found with more information about the GT4's dominance.

Excerpt from article:

Ringo Chong, Team Director at TORO Racing, commented: ”The Emira GT4’s three greatest strengths in the race were: first, the centre of gravity is very low, like flying on the ground; second, the car’s steering is flexible, which gives the car a good advantage in the sharp corners of the Macau Grand Prix circuit; and third, we have added tuning for the city track and the mountain track to meet the demands of more intense driving.”

Here is the link for the article, not much new but here it is: