• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

First Drive in a UK Full Production Car | Have Lotus now got it right?

Lots_Of_Trouble

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I found myself in the fortunate position of being invited to Hethel to spend a full day being the first person, outside of Lotus staff, to drive a fully finished production car in the UK.

The focus was on the car itself, not issues. I wanted to focus on how the car made me feel. Did it deliver the experience that I was seeking?
Was it indeed the car I believe it was to tick my boxes as a brand new, fit for a purpose, sports car I can drive all day, every day.

Well, the video is below. I make no apologies for me being my usual loud and over-enthusiastic, severe ADHD suffering, passionately mad car enthusiast.

Feel free to ask any specific questions.. We have all seen the car in minute detail so I concentrated on the drive itself but I did fiddle with everything, played with the KEF stereo for 5 minutes and went completely over the car - the car that we will all be getting in the UK.

I will will also post up my other video made on the same day which, amazingly, is the very first time all 6 colours are together and it is VERY interesting and illuminating.

Enjoy! Please support my channel with a sub, a like and, most importantly, comment and let everyone else know what you think about the Emira.
Cheers
Ade
Great review,Ade.

I personally love your enthusiasm, don't ever apologise for that.

This may sound bonkers ,but I am starting to feel less infatuated with the Emira the more I see it in reviews...worrying slightly.

I'm not sure why,as it's beautiful, it sounds great, but the dark interior isn't really justifying it for me...
However the glimpse of the white interior really did change that,I've seen one in person and it's another level compared to the darker alcantara.(Personal preference I know).

I've personally gone for the red interior, something we haven't seen too much of,maybe not too many in stock?

But this again means the test drive for me will be the determining point,I need to find a dealer that has the coloured leathers in the demo to be persuaded.

Thank you for the great insight and once again,dont ever apologise for being enthusiastic, something this world lacks immensely nowadays.

BeHappy

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
seems to me more and more that this EMIRA is half baked, ......low on engine power are many comments from test drivers ,,..... and now this above.........

When a true fanboy like Ade states this, I know its time to move on to something else at this price point.

This EMIRA unfortunately reminds me more and more of the BMW i8. Looks so cool but thats where a lot of it ends.

These lukewarm comments are not helpful. The new car enthusiasm with the ENIRA will only last the first 6-12 months of ownership before reality sets in and one realizes that the car going forward is lukewarm and not HOT as once thought.

So sad and disappointing,
Hey don’t be dissing the I8 it was a great car 🥰 people can only diss a car if they’ve owned one ☝️Come on the flippy out doors that were so cool 😎 getting in and out with everything staring lol 😝
Anyway I do agree with your comments re: the Emira more people are mentioning it’s two big weak fundamental areas - with even more describing it as actually slow ! which is a concern. Ades review I found to OTT not sure how one gets this excited over the Emira - he must of imagined he was driving the EVIJA 😜 - we shall soon see though

Last edited:

dzernski

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Great video. Helping me "keep the faith" whilst waiting for anything from Lotus themselves

Cachaco131

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
seems to me more and more that this EMIRA is half baked, ......low on engine power are many comments from test drivers ,,..... and now this above.........

When a true fanboy like Ade states this, I know its time to move on to something else at this price point.

This EMIRA unfortunately reminds me more and more of the BMW i8. Looks so cool but thats where a lot of it ends.

These lukewarm comments are not helpful. The new car enthusiasm with the ENIRA will only last the first 6-12 months of ownership before reality sets in and one realizes that the car going forward is lukewarm and not HOT as once thought.

So sad and disappointing,
Well, the audio system is on my low priority list. Doesn't strike me as a deal breaker.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
@Evotion this was an epic video, thank you very much for all of your hard work setting it up and creating the content.
Love your enthusiasm, don't change and I'm sure you will start to build a good following. I mean you arent quite as annoying as Shmee 😉😄
Things have changed a lot over the past 12 months, but it is a shame that Lotus didnt allow this kind of access earlier (or done similar themselves..) as it would have massively reduced the consternation felt by a lot of deposit holders.
Anyway cheers again I know it's a lot of work, but you have definitely raised the excitement levels of current and future Emira customers tenfold I'd have thought 🙂

OP
Evotion

Evotion

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I will try and get the KEF short video out - maybe you can hear enough to judge for yourselves.

It was a harder sell to me probably. I can tell you it is 5 times the stereo that is in the Rari - that is laughable.
It is nothing compared to the NAIM in the Bentley but is that not to be expected.
I WAS hoping that it would at least match the one in the C63 but it doesn't.

New speakers and all that. It is 'okay' and I might never use it much anyway :D but given the KEF brand I was not blown away like I was expecting. Weird, as it has all the right speakers.

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I will try and get the KEF short video out - maybe you can hear enough to judge for yourselves.

It was a harder sell to me probably. I can tell you it is 5 times the stereo that is in the Rari - that is laughable.
It is nothing compared to the NAIM in the Bentley but is that not to be expected.
I WAS hoping that it would at least match the one in the C63 but it doesn't.

New speakers and all that. It is 'okay' and I might never use it much anyway :D but given the KEF brand I was not blown away like I was expecting. Weird, as it has all the right speakers.
Did you try the equaliser and bass settings at all?

magmared

Reaction score
I found myself in the fortunate position of being invited to Hethel to spend a full day being the first person, outside of Lotus staff, to drive a fully finished production car in the UK.

The focus was on the car itself, not issues. I wanted to focus on how the car made me feel. Did it deliver the experience that I was seeking?
Was it indeed the car I believe it was to tick my boxes as a brand new, fit for a purpose, sports car I can drive all day, every day.

Well, the video is below. I make no apologies for me being my usual loud and over-enthusiastic, severe ADHD suffering, passionately mad car enthusiast.

Feel free to ask any specific questions.. We have all seen the car in minute detail so I concentrated on the drive itself but I did fiddle with everything, played with the KEF stereo for 5 minutes and went completely over the car - the car that we will all be getting in the UK.

I will will also post up my other video made on the same day which, amazingly, is the very first time all 6 colours are together and it is VERY interesting and illuminating.

Enjoy! Please support my channel with a sub, a like and, most importantly, comment and let everyone else know what you think about the Emira.
Cheers
Ade
This is great! Can’t wait to actually get my grubby mitts on the Emira.

OP
Evotion

Evotion

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Did you try the equaliser and bass settings at all?
Yes, not that easy to get into. It made a difference but felt the underlying 'blow her dress off' power was not there.

For the sound it give it out it was good. I just like to blast the mother out of my music sometimes.

scoates

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Great video, loved your enthusiasm, now even more excited to take delivery "soon"!

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
My name is trouble and I'm an Emiraholic...

Actually you're an Emira Fanatic :)