US delivery timing update from CS

Wanted to share my correspondence with customer service today. CS reached out to see how my test drive went over the weekend. I replied and asked for updates regarding US delivery timing and this is what I got...

Me: Speaking of delivery... any updates if North America production is still on schedule to begin in January with first deliveries in March-April? I've had my order in since last March and was originally told "Spring '22" when making my initial deposit in July '21, then it was "October or November" after ordering this year, and now it's maybe April of next year.

CS: Unfortunately, I do not have access to each dealerships waitlist, however you would probably be looking at delivery Summer/ Fall 2023.

Last edited:

benjh1028

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Wanted to share my correspondence with customer service today. CS reach out to see how my test drive went over the weekend. I replied and asked for updates regarding US delivery timing and this is what I got...
Fu...........dge!

jmn444

Emira Fan
Reaction score
shocker lol.... based on those production numbers in the recent video, they've got a LOT of ramping up to do still.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
There is just no way Lotus stays afloat selling 50 cars a month. I wonder at what point Geely throws in the towel?
Never. Geely didn't invest in Lotus for their ICE cars, they invested in them for their electric future. Production volume will improve as the parts situation improves.

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
If VL3X with an FE order is looking at Summer/Fall 2023, then that means someone like me, waiting to be "among the first" to order a base model from the same NJ dealer, is likely not going to have a car until 2024?

For reference, my deposit was late September 2021.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
My actual order was submitted in April, and according to the last official delivery estimate from Lotus, it would be delivered in April of next year. If it's now May or June, wouldn't surprise me or make that big of a difference.

OP
VL3X

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
If VL3X with an FE order is looking at Summer/Fall 2023, then that means someone like me, waiting to be "among the first" to order a base model from the same NJ dealer, is likely not going to have a car until 2024?

For reference, my deposit was late September 2021.

They said the base configurator would be open in October... And now it's early next year... I really doubt base spec anything will be delivered until 2024 now. 😢 Even though we've known the additional colors since last January or so... Lotus still seems to be figuring out base spec option pricing.

dgrace

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Never. Geely didn't invest in Lotus for their ICE cars, they invested in them for their electric future. Production volume will improve as the parts situation improves.
What if the Eletre doesn’t sell?

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
When I placed my deposit in August o 2021 I assumed delivery Q2 2023 right off the bat. With delays I have been thinking Q3 2024 so this just confirms my timeline. Yes I am in BASE Camp. I will be contacting the Guinness Book of Records to see if I have broken a record for delayed gratification. I am here for it. I want a mid engine car.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
What if the Eletre doesn’t sell?
I honestly don't think it's going to sell that well; it just doesn't have the visual excitement that the Evija and Emira have. However they've also got an electric sports car already designed, and a saloon (4-door sedan) lined up. If those are being designed by Carr's team, those will be the ones that get their electric portfolio on the map, especially with the fast charging they talked about in the Eletre video today.

If they can set a hot lap record at the Ring with the Evija, that's going to draw a lot of attention to the Type 135 which will be the affordable everyman's Evija. The Emira has already garnered a fair amount of attention and will continue to do so as they start appearing in the wild.

The SUV segment is so saturated and competitive, 0-60 or whatever times just aren't going to be the magic draw to get people to buy. The Evija and Emira have established looks as being the strong suit of Lotus right now, and that matters. It's going to be nearly everything in the electric world, because everybody's vehicles are going to have mind-blowing acceleration and performance. It's like the saying: "If everybody's super, then nobody is". That's going to be the reality in the electric world, so the only way to really distinguish your brand of super from everybody else's, is to make yours look better than theirs. The Evija and Emira sure check that box off, so if they can continue that with the Type 135 and saloon, they'll be fine.

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I honestly don't think it's going to sell that well; it just doesn't have the visual excitement that the Evija and Emira have. However they've also got an electric sports car already designed, and a saloon (4-door sedan) lined up. If those are being designed by Carr's team, those will be the ones that get their electric portfolio on the map, especially with the fast charging they talked about in the Eletre video today.

If they can set a hot lap record at the Ring with the Evija, that's going to draw a lot of attention to the Type 135 which will be the affordable everyman's Evija. The Emira has already garnered a fair amount of attention and will continue to do so as they start appearing in the wild.

The SUV segment is so saturated and competitive, 0-60 or whatever times just aren't going to be the magic draw to get people to buy. The Evija and Emira have established looks as being the strong suit of Lotus right now, and that matters. It's going to be nearly everything in the electric world, because everybody's vehicles are going to have mind-blowing acceleration and performance. It's like the saying: "If everybody's super, then nobody is". That's going to be the reality in the electric world, so the only way to really distinguish your brand of super from everybody else's, is to make yours look better than theirs. The Evija and Emira sure check that box off, so if they can continue that with the Type 135 and saloon, they'll be fine.

Just adding here. Go speak to some young people, 17 to 22 years old. That Lotus advertising is right in the wheel house for the social media platforms they utilize. I could totally see the Electre being a status symbol for the newbies coming up. It's positioned perfectly. Their style is all about different and eclectic. If 100K EV SUVs sell in numbers I think Lotus may have a good chance. I want one but I am not spending that much on any SUV.

They get excited about tech and self driving cars, cars that park themselves, whatever. This is more about tomorrow, not today.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Just adding here. Go speak to some young people, 17 to 22 years old. That Lotus advertising is right in the wheel house for the social media platforms they utilize. I could totally see the Electre being a status symbol for the newbies coming up. It's positioned perfectly. Their style is all about different and eclectic. If 100K EV SUVs sell in numbers I think Lotus may have a good chance. I want one but I am not spending that much on any SUV.

They get excited about tech and self driving cars, cars that park themselves, whatever. This is more about tomorrow, not today.
The single biggest immediate problem for electric vehicles is the cost. I don't know any 17-20 year olds that can afford to spend $100k+ on an SUV. Any of the ones I know can hardly afford rent. They have 1 or 2 roommates and are barely making it. Inflation is making that even more difficult. The people that can afford an Eletre or anything in that price range are generally older, and they can afford to be picky. Every manufacturer is going to be trying to compete in the electric SUV segment. The major players have dealers everywhere; Lotus doesn't. Let's be honest, if the Emira didn't look like it does, it wouldn't have the order book it has, or be much different in sales than the Evora was. There's a lesson for Lotus to be learned here.

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
The single biggest immediate problem for electric vehicles is the cost. I don't know any 17-20 year olds that can afford to spend $100k+ on an SUV. Any of the ones I know can hardly afford rent. They have 1 or 2 roommates and are barely making it. Inflation is making that even more difficult. The people that can afford an Eletre or anything in that price range are generally older, and they can afford to be picky. Every manufacturer is going to be trying to compete in the electric SUV segment. The major players have dealers everywhere; Lotus doesn't. Let's be honest, if the Emira didn't look like it does, it wouldn't have the order book it has, or be much different in sales than the Evora was. There's a lesson for Lotus to be learned here.

Agreed, but like I said, this is about the future. You have to get into the ethos of a generation. Like BMW did with yuppies back in the 80s or 90s. The Lotus marketing speaks to this. Be different, be bold, photogenic, etc. I wanted a Mustang GT since I was 12. It took me 19 years to get it. It's no guarantee but I believe I do understand the positioning of the Electre. It's in the language of 17 to 22 years now so they are likely to pay attention to it and aspire to it.

OP
VL3X

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Summer... FALL?

Fuck that.

I'm not waiting another year for this car.

Lol, I just called my Porsche dealer to see how soon I could actually get a Carrera T and my Toyota dealer for a Supra with 3 pedals. I'm not waiting another year or taking delivery next year right before winter. 🤦‍♂️