The lure of an under £60k starting price....

Duncx

Reaction score
I agree but my point was referring to the difficulty in keeping the I4 pricing to something similar to £6K based on the ever increasing supplier/manufacturing costs. Some people have definitely made the decision based on the price difference, what that % would be , I don't know.
Here's hoping that the difference is still going to show a clear difference🤞
Ah, understood (y)

I think that the price differential will stay the same, it's probably more a risk that all prices (i4 & V6) will increase sooner rather than later. The only price that Lotus has committed* to is the price for the LE V6 - hence people starting to think that it may end up looking a bit of a bargain. Frankly, I'm a bit surprised that they haven't already announced it as 'sold out' - simply on a cost basis.

*even the LE V6 price is not contractual, it relies on good faith from Lotus!

Reactions: AGP

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Fair point! And I should know better after years of buying cars but I generally buy used and completely forgot to account for the high first year’s tax and delivery and prep.

Either way, I’ll still be eagerly awaiting mine!
This is only my 4th car new in 40 years, most others have always been used cars where theyve lost deprecation before ive bought. Strange to think that in these times a car can almost be seen as an investment due to strong used car prices.

OP
D

Dommo

Emira Fan
Reaction score
This is only my 4th car new in 40 years, most others have always been used cars where theyve lost deprecation before ive bought. Strange to think that in these times a car can almost be seen as an investment due to strong used car prices.
And even getting a new car in the current market is somewhat of a lottery so I guess there are even more positive points!

AGP

Emira Fan
Reaction score
And even getting a new car in the current market is somewhat of a lottery so I guess there are even more positive points!
I love all our reasoning to state why it's a good purchase proposition. Were preaching to each other and we are all ready converted:LOL::ROFLMAO:

Edit to say: Maybe we should setup some Evangelical type Emira Cult so that we can get our wives/partners to come to, so that they can believe also😉

Last edited:

Tailslides

Emira Fan
Reaction score
The price is much higher than I have paid for a car until Emira, but it actually looks more expensive.

Being the wrong side of sixty, what am I going to do anyway? Sit on the money or get out and enjoy it, both the wife and I love the car and more importantly feel comfortable getting in and out 😉

As long as you can justify the expenditure, not put yourself in trouble, then it's an itch worth scratching. Resale values should stay high should circumstances change.

There won't be many more ICE vehicles coming along like this, it's going to be great.

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I love all our reasoning to state why it's a good purchase proposition. Were preaching to each other and we are all ready converted:LOL::ROFLMAO:
I wouldn't want a Ferrari or Lambo as even though i have the cash its a lot of money on a car. When

The price is much higher than I have paid for a car until Emira, but it actually looks more expensive.

Being the wrong side of sixty, what am I going to do anyway? Sit on the money or get out and enjoy it, both the wife and I love the car and more importantly feel comfortable getting in and out 😉

As long as you can justify the expenditure, not put yourself in trouble, then it's an itch worth scratching. Resale values should stay high should circumstances change.

There won't be many more ICE vehicles coming along like this, it's going to be great.
The getting in/out was a consideration for me I'm not in my sixties but if i keep the car like i think i will do then it would have been a consideration for me :)

Blow the cash - if you don't you'll get it spent in a care home (having my mum in a grand a week nursing home has focussed my mind to life to the full now).

tjlazer

Reaction score
The euro price point started much higher for the v6 (95k). If it had been available for under 85k I’d have gone for it. I now nervously wait for the i4 price. I’m hoping this hits at a 80k euro point (OTR) as beyond that it is a tougher sell.

First Lotus

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
For me the important thing is the £60k tag worked a treat to get the OK from the wife! Showing the the car and saying look at that for £60k won her over. I then had to use the new configurator to get the next £20K approved!!!

Personally I hope the i4 FE is as close to the 80k OTR of the V6 as although apparently lower in HP, it has a DCT box which (despite me wanting a manual, is an upgrade in terms of £££) and the base £60k materialises at something closer to the 65-70K. (because I'm not sure I see 15k of extras on the FE!). I would think Lotus have justification for the price rise due to CPI etc, but they won't want to serve a bitter pill marketing-wise.

Jonhklee

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I think the base spec is more than enough for me. Only thing I will add is Metallic paint and Tan leather,

SJR202

Emira Fan
Reaction score
We all know that the 'under £60k starting price' was going to be the poverty spec but I assumed (probably naively), that the First Edition might be around £70k - before the official pricing was released. And now that we know the full cost with a few extras added, plus the 'on the road prices and car tax', does anyone else feel like the cost of being one of the lucky early FE Editions depositors is actually in a different price league?

Once you add on the PCP that most people will likely use, it's a £90k car!

I've paid my 2 deposits and fully intend to take delivery but I have to admit that as time goes on I can't help but question how I went from a £60-£70k car to a £90k one!

Feel free to shoot me down if it's just me but I'm genuinely interested in others thoughts on this., 😬
Im with you, I think you accept a 'price', get used to it and mentally there is a barrier going much above it.
Im not someone who this isnt a stretch and having to think very carefully whether I can justify spending c£80k+ on a car no matter how much the heart wants it.

I was intending to finance, I've never financed a car before as the extra interest payments just upset me when traditionally the depreciation compounds the extra you pay in interest. However do I want to drop £80k of my savings in a lump, Im not sure...

I guess Im also hoping that as a fairly late deposit (Sept), and someone who has discussed driving the car before committing to a final build, I might know more about the Base cost/options V6 before finally committing, I can live without being one of the first (more time to save up!), but maybe if the base came in sub 70k, I could cherry pick a few must have personal options and keep it to a price psychologically Im more comfortable with...

In summary, its not put me off yet, but the 'extra' costs and finance has taken me back a bit and questioning what was a 100% confirmed decision, but just looking at it on the new configurator I am smitten and dont think anything that pretty is available for under £100k!

NickR

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
A couple of points:
Coming from the yacht sales world .....
  • Last year due to the increase costs in material an electronics etc, boat prices went up 7% and a further 5% this year (this on a very large and well known brand)
  • It's worth keeping in mind we have a period of inflation which when you consider the amount of debt the government has they are probably thankful for and i can't see them trying to curb it much.
  • It is very easy to have a 'sticker price' that no one in their right mind would have as a specification. If Lotus have to maintain the £60K to save face even though there have been cost increases elsewhere I would expect 'base' to be fairly unattractive and increase the cost for options as this will claw back some profit. I suspect many of us on here have owned businesses and / or are senior in the mechanics of running one, so same rules apply.
  • The Evora was a £90K car with lower material costs, although smaller market share and i suspect higher manufacturing costs, but you can see the stretch to get to 60K with a better car.

Alternatively if the idea is to reboot Lotus in a strong way they *may* try running at it at an initial break even strategy to grab market share, common in technology companies but i'm not sure it may apply here.
Anyway just some thoughts and not Shadenfraude as that's a crappy way to behave!

AGP

Emira Fan
Reaction score
For me the important thing is the £60k tag worked a treat to get the OK from the wife! Showing the the car and saying look at that for £60k won her over. I then had to use the new configurator to get the next £20K approved!!!

Personally I hope the i4 FE is as close to the 80k OTR of the V6 as although apparently lower in HP, it has a DCT box which (despite me wanting a manual, is an upgrade in terms of £££) and the base £60k materialises at something closer to the 65-70K. (because I'm not sure I see 15k of extras on the FE!). I would think Lotus have justification for the price rise due to CPI etc, but they won't want to serve a bitter pill marketing-wise.
I'm hoping the I4FE isn't going to come in more than £75K OTR otherwise it may mean a rethink for me.
I have similar thoughts as SJR202's comment "having to think very carefully whether I can justify spending c£80k+ on a car no matter how much the heart wants it."

klho001

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Great topic! When I heard initial price and saw the pic of the blue car I was sold. Then fairly quickly became obv the V6FE would cost more than I’m willing to pay here in SG. Even now with no conf of the I4FE price theres still a chance my deposit would be coming back one day, tho I hope not.

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Im with you, I think you accept a 'price', get used to it and mentally there is a barrier going much above it.
Im not someone who this isnt a stretch and having to think very carefully whether I can justify spending c£80k+ on a car no matter how much the heart wants it.

I was intending to finance, I've never financed a car before as the extra interest payments just upset me when traditionally the depreciation compounds the extra you pay in interest. However do I want to drop £80k of my savings in a lump, Im not sure...

I guess Im also hoping that as a fairly late deposit (Sept), and someone who has discussed driving the car before committing to a final build, I might know more about the Base cost/options V6 before finally committing, I can live without being one of the first (more time to save up!), but maybe if the base came in sub 70k, I could cherry pick a few must have personal options and keep it to a price psychologically Im more comfortable with...

In summary, its not put me off yet, but the 'extra' costs and finance has taken me back a bit and questioning what was a 100% confirmed decision, but just looking at it on the new configurator I am smitten and dont think anything that pretty is available for under £100k!
You are probably of an age where you understand the "effort" required to acquire 80 grand to spend it from savings. I'm the same and its twice the price ive ever paid for a car. BUT i realise you can only enjoy these type of things whilst you have your health and no one knows when that will disappear or get impacted - live in the day :)

DJS

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Another cheeky one to look out for is Lotus current strong residual values, watch that change as the months go by and in turn your monthly payments.

Ok for you cash buyers