Meccanisti's DV FE

meccanisti

Reaction score
Yet another DV here. Here's a little write up I did on Insta (https://www.instagram.com/meccanisti/) which summarises my first week's ownership experience (600 miles in). Pics from Elan Valley/Devil's Bridge/Aber drive

First thoughts on my Emira...

Let's get the bad bits out of the way first. The temperature control is on the wrong side of the car (you have to reach around the gearstick), the wipers don't work properly, one door seal is a bit wonky in the corner and it would be nice if the screen in front of the driver mimicked some proper dials (Stack setup from an Elise S1 anyone?)

And although it's very strong in the midrange, another 30 horses and an extra 700rpm wouldn't go amiss either. But the aftermarket will take care of that, and I'm sure there will be an S version along in a minute....

So let's get to the better bits. Firstly, just look at it. Is there a better looking sports car today? Looks are subjective of course, but it's got to be up there.

Secondly, the drivetrain. A lot of people seem to be caught up on the fact that it is just a Toyota Camry engine with a supercharger (the gearbox is from an Avensis diesel) but the fact is it sounds great, feels special and the character suits the car. Apparently, Lotus have worked hard on the gearshift (a problem in the Evora) and whilst maybe not quite as good as the very best, the gearbox is fun to use, accurate and in this example at least, not notchy.

The interior also feels like a special place to be, the "systems" are well integrated - and VW take note - Apple Car Play works instantly and flawlessly. I think anyone coming from a Porsche product won't feel short changed. And crucially - it doesn't creak or smell of glue - and everything works (save the wipers).

It feels small and easy to place on the road, you don't need to avoid high kerbs or speed bumps, and the ride is fantastic over poor road surfaces.

Finally, the very best bits.

A lot has been said about this car's steering and its hydraulic rack.

Let's make one thing clear from the outset - we are not talking Caterham, Elise or hotrod aircooled 911 type steering feel here. It's still a modern car weighing 1400kgs and running a 20" 245/35 front tyre.

But... When you start threading it down a proper road, it really does come alive in a way anything else built since the year 2000 would struggle to match. Like all the best Lotus chassis it's compliant, makes use of its suspension travel and flows down the tarmac. For a relatively "heavy" car, the agility is simply amazing. It simply won’t understeer.

The absolute best part of all of this is it does so whilst being such a benign companion when you're not in the mood. At home doing hundreds of miles on the autoroute, or on a mountain pass or commuting into the city.

Its range of usability is its most impressive attribute.

I am sure there are faster ways to get round a track (Cayman GT4 or even a GTS) I am sure there are lighter more dainty sportcars (Alpine A110) and of course nearly anything else you could buy would have better manufacturer support and customer service.

But remarkably, Lotus really have managed to make something special out of an "Evora in a fat suit" by toning back the extremes and not competing on numbers (weight, bhp, 0-60, laptimes).

The end product is something you could grow old with, which is a good job, seeing as its the last old-skool sports car they'll ever produce.

Attachments

• Emira - 7 of 9.png
    Emira - 7 of 9.png
    891.9 KB · Views: 339
  • Emira - 9 of 9.png
    Emira - 9 of 9.png
    740.3 KB · Views: 198
  • Emira - 8 of 9.png
    Emira - 8 of 9.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 197
  • Emira - 6 of 9.png
    Emira - 6 of 9.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 187
  • Emira - 5 of 9.png
    Emira - 5 of 9.png
    723 KB · Views: 186
  • Emira - 4 of 9.png
    Emira - 4 of 9.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 178
  • Emira - 3 of 9.png
    Emira - 3 of 9.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 191
  • Emira - 2 of 9.png
    Emira - 2 of 9.png
    1 MB · Views: 191
  • Emira - 1 of 9.png
    Emira - 1 of 9.png
    1 MB · Views: 216

Pugwash

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I think you can control the temp from the touch screen too. No need to reach for the knob….

912Matt

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Yet another DV here. Here's a little write up I did on Insta (https://www.instagram.com/meccanisti/) which summarises my first week's ownership experience (600 miles in). Pics from Elan Valley/Devil's Bridge/Aber drive

Let's get the bad bits out of the way first. The temperature control is on the wrong side of the car (you have to reach around the gearstick), the wipers don't work properly, one door seal is a bit wonky in the corner and it would be nice if the screen in front of the driver mimicked some proper dials (Stack setup from an Elise S1 anyone?)

And although it's very strong in the midrange, another 30 horses and an extra 700rpm wouldn't go amiss either. But the aftermarket will take care of that, and I'm sure there will be an S version along in a minute....

So let's get to the better bits. Firstly, just look at it. Is there a better looking sports car today? Looks are subjective of course, but it's got to be up there.

Secondly, the drivetrain. A lot of people seem to be caught up on the fact that it is just a Toyota Camry engine with a supercharger (the gearbox is from an Avensis diesel) but the fact is it sounds great, feels special and the character suits the car. Apparently, Lotus have worked hard on the gearshift (a problem in the Evora) and whilst maybe not quite as good as the very best, the gearbox is fun to use, accurate and in this example at least, not notchy.

The interior also feels like a special place to be, the "systems" are well integrated - and VW take note - Apple Car Play works instantly and flawlessly. I think anyone coming from a Porsche product won't feel short changed. And crucially - it doesn't creak or smell of glue - and everything works (save the wipers).

It feels small and easy to place on the road, you don't need to avoid high kerbs or speed bumps, and the ride is fantastic over poor road surfaces.

Let's make one thing clear from the outset - we are not talking Caterham, Elise or hotrod aircooled 911 type steering feel here. It's still a modern car weighing 1400kgs and running a 20" 245/35 front tyre.

But... When you start threading it down a proper road, it really does come alive in a way anything else built since the year 2000 would struggle to match. Like all the best Lotus chassis it's compliant, makes use of its suspension travel and flows down the tarmac. For a relatively "heavy" car, the agility is simply amazing. It simply won’t understeer.

The absolute best part of all of this is it does so whilst being such a benign companion when you're not in the mood. At home doing hundreds of miles on the autoroute, or on a mountain pass or commuting into the city.

I am sure there are faster ways to get round a track (Cayman GT4 or even a GTS) I am sure there are lighter more dainty sportcars (Alpine A110) and of course nearly anything else you could buy would have better manufacturer support and customer service.

But remarkably, Lotus really have managed to make something special out of an "Evora in a fat suit" by toning back the extremes and not competing on numbers (weight, bhp, 0-60, laptimes).

The end product is something you could grow old with, which is a good job, seeing as its the last old-skool sports car they'll ever produce.
Great write up, after 6 weeks with my DV I couldn’t agree more - these are special cars 😍

Concept24

Emira Fiend
Reaction score

Excellent photos! It's great to see DV under full sun.

lynchy73

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

We’ll said and the Emira looks amazing in those pics (y) :cool:

OP
meccanisti

meccanisti

Reaction score
Few more photos after I'd cleaned all the bugs off it...

Attachments

• Emira - 1 of 6.png
    Emira - 1 of 6.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 165
  • Emira - 6 of 6.png
    Emira - 6 of 6.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 155
  • Emira - 5 of 6.png
    Emira - 5 of 6.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 154
  • Emira - 4 of 6.png
    Emira - 4 of 6.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 157
  • Emira - 3 of 6.png
    Emira - 3 of 6.png
    946.6 KB · Views: 167
  • Emira - 2 of 6.png
    Emira - 2 of 6.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 172
OP
meccanisti

meccanisti

Reaction score
Another trip to Elan today and I'm nearly done with running in...

Anyone else contemplating dropping the oil and filter at 1000 mls? I know the manufacturer recommended first service is 10k but I seem to recall Evora and Exige had a running in service at 1000 which makes a lot of sense - I want the motor to last 20yrs+ not just a period after the warranty is up, like Lotus ;-)

Mac71

Reaction score
Hey Maccanisti. Very coincidentally I was also in the Elan valley this afternoon in the Emira! How cool would it have been to bump into each other!

OP
meccanisti

meccanisti

Reaction score
Hey Maccanisti. Very coincidentally I was also in the Elan valley this afternoon in the Emira! How cool would it have been to bump into each other!
What a coincidence! Was deserted today aside from farmers and a few cyclists, I always like going on a cloudy weekday!

Mac71

Reaction score
Yes deserted. I was passing through on a very (and deliberately) convoluted route up to Betws y coed. Will probably pass through Elan again tomorrow on the way back down (and my car will more or less break through the 1000 mile mark as it does so).

Lowtush

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Lotus need to use your photos in marketing. Finally someone captured DV in bright sun.

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Lotus need to use your photos in marketing. Finally someone captured DV in bright sun.
Been on this Forum so long, I remember when Lotus claimed they wouldn't publish DV images because the color was so hard to photograph. This sheds some light on the topic.

Mac71

Reaction score
Yes deserted. I was passing through on a very (and deliberately) convoluted route up to Betws y coed. Will probably pass through Elan again tomorrow on the way back down (and my car will more or less break through the 1000 mile mark as it does so).
Sorry, Mecannisti, to use your thread as a platform to mention another Elan Valley coincidence but on my return through the area this afternoon I bumped into Oli Marriage and other members of the Top Gear magazine team who were testing none other than some of the Emira's key rivals (new M2, old M2, Cayman GT4 and a Morgan Super 3 - if that counts). They ideally wanted an Emira on the test too but Lotus didn't have one to offer them. I suppose if I were less precious I could have offered them mine. :unsure: But having nearly hit a suicidal sheep only moments earlier I thought maybe not...

OP
meccanisti

meccanisti

Reaction score
Haha what a cool set of cars to bump in to!

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Sorry, Mecannisti, to use your thread as a platform to mention another Elan Valley coincidence but on my return through the area this afternoon I bumped into Oli Marriage and other members of the Top Gear magazine team who were testing none other than some of the Emira's key rivals (new M2, old M2, Cayman GT4 and a Morgan Super 3 - if that counts). They ideally wanted an Emira on the test too but Lotus didn't have one to offer them. I suppose if I were less precious I could have offered them mine. :unsure: But having nearly hit a suicidal sheep only moments earlier I thought maybe not...
What a fortunate encounter.
What stands out (for me) is 'Lotus didn't have one to offer them.'
What is that saying about both the production situation and testing head-to-head?
I've made my bet, but......

Mac71

Reaction score
What a fortunate encounter.
What stands out (for me) is 'Lotus didn't have one to offer them.'
What is that saying about both the production situation and testing head-to-head?
I've made my bet, but......
I hear you and I have little doubt that the GT4 (and perhaps even the new M2) would 'beat" the Emira when assessed objectively. But, for me, neither of those cars is high on emotive appeal wheras the Emira has it in spades.