Investment - Retired vs the last "dinosaur fueled car"

Lots_Of_Trouble

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Last Edition Evora vs V6 Manual Emira.

That age old question - which car is best for retaining or even gaining value down the line ( bear with me ).

i'll set the scene first, i'll be driving mine like its supposed to be driven , but there once was a time where i saw this as a potential investment for many years down the line as the last ever ICE Lotus - which of course meant it had to be a manual choice too.

However, there is no denying that the last generation Evora is one hell of a car too and as it is now retired, the value's have seemingly rose ( as have most other cars in the recent years thanks to crazy times).

Personally, the looks and the refinement of the Emira makes it the better choice for me - but value wise, i do wonder what will end up the more desired price tag down the line...

xen

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
For my money the Last Edition Emira (both V6 and i4 form) in whatever guise it takes will likely be the investment car.

TXEMIRA

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Pound for pound (pun intended for our Brit friends) taking into consideration; market, timing, inflation, etc. - we’ll never know.

These cars are so few that they’re barely statistically relevant for comparison. What a world right?

It’ll be up to you to determine value.

Dudes are buying Crypto & NFT… Money isn’t the same as it was when invented. People sell phones for the gold inside them… We can go on and on. If you have the means - get both!

:)

#ForTheAnalogies

AGP

Emira Fan
Reaction score

That age old question - which car is best for retaining or even gaining value down the line ( bear with me ).

i'll set the scene first, i'll be driving mine like its supposed to be driven , but there once was a time where i saw this as a potential investment for many years down the line as the last ever ICE Lotus - which of course meant it had to be a manual choice too.

However, there is no denying that the last generation Evora is one hell of a car too and as it is now retired, the value's have seemingly rose ( as have most other cars in the recent years thanks to crazy times).

Personally, the looks and the refinement of the Emira makes it the better choice for me - but value wise, i do wonder what will end up the more desired price tag down the line...
My worry regarding future prices is how ICE cars are going to be perceived by the public and Government going forward. Will we will be taxed out of them in some way? That's why I'm going I4 - More environmentally friendly😉

OP
Lots_Of_Trouble

Lots_Of_Trouble

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Pound for pound (pun intended for our Brit friends) taking into consideration; market, timing, inflation, etc. - we’ll never know.

These cars are so few that they’re barely statistically relevant for comparison. What a world right?

It’ll be up to you to determine value.

Dudes are buying Crypto & NFT… Money isn’t the same as it was when invented. People sell phones for the gold inside them… We can go on and on. If you have the means - get both!

:)

#ForTheAnalogies
Very valid points, whats of value now may be completely irrellevant down the line.

i just keep thinking of Demoltion man, dystopian future, electiric cars and then theres the Archaic Oldsmobile!

TXEMIRA

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Very valid points, whats of value now may be completely irrellevant down the line.

i just keep thinking of Demoltion man, dystopian future, electiric cars and then theres the Archaic Oldsmobile!
Right! My daughter (8) will likely hit me with “dad I saw a real cigarette today and a car with that stick thing like you used to have!”

#ForTheSadDad

Wolfram

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Right! My daughter (8) will likely hit me with “dad I saw a real cigarette today and a car with that stick thing like you used to have!”

#ForTheSadDad
I don't know if there's anything similar in the USA, but as soon as my daughter turned 11 I took her on a YoungDrive! lesson at Brands Hatch circuit. Basically a first driving lesson in a dual-control manual Mini. She absolutely loved it!

We also have the Under 17 Car Club for ages 11+. They have meetings every weekend in different locations and the kids drive on closed off areas (e.g. track or airfield) under the guidance of their parents. The kids also get professionally assessed at a number of stages, and essentially once they've finished that they can drive, and doing their formal driving test when they turn 17 should be a mere formality. We haven't been able to yet... erm, none of my cars meet the criteria (manual transmission, four seats)!!

BTW her favourite car of mine is the Elise. She loves the way the supercharger screams like a banshee - thinks it's absolutely bonkers!

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order

I think the Evoras will continue to have strong demand. There will only ever be 6,117 of them so they are already rare cars. The Emira launch has raised awareness too - it's surprising how many people think the car before the Emira was the Elise. And some people waiting in long queues for an Emira are buying an Evora - which may end up being a keeper rather than an interim. The big question is will demand continue to be strong in 2-3 years when you can get an Emira without a long wait. I think yes it will. It's unlikely they'll double in value, but they should appreciate nicely, certainly enough to offset the modest running costs.

For the Evora I expect the final versions (GT410, GT430, US GT) will be chosen by many as the "last proper ICE Lotus", with "proper" meaning analog, hand built, not full of gadgets, pre-Geely. Others will look for very original early Series 1 cars. You can see a similar pattern with Elise/Exige - original S1s of both are very popular and many of the Final Editions have been bought by enthusiasts and collectors as keepers. It's a shame there was no official Evora Final Edition.

With the Emira I think the final V6 manual cars will be highly desirable - Lotus really must do a Final Edition. I think the First Editions will be popular too but there will be many more of them. I think we'll see very slow depreciation rather than investment-type growth in values, at least until all ICE production stops. It'll then depend whether they can still be driven economically or if governments tax them to the point of them becoming museum pieces.

OP
Lots_Of_Trouble

Lots_Of_Trouble

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I think the Evoras will continue to have strong demand. There will only ever be 6,117 of them so they are already rare cars. The Emira launch has raised awareness too - it's surprising how many people think the car before the Emira was the Elise. And some people waiting in long queues for an Emira are buying an Evora - which may end up being a keeper rather than an interim. The big question is will demand continue to be strong in 2-3 years when you can get an Emira without a long wait. I think yes it will. It's unlikely they'll double in value, but they should appreciate nicely, certainly enough to offset the modest running costs.

For the Evora I expect the final versions (GT410, GT430, US GT) will be chosen by many as the "last proper ICE Lotus", with "proper" meaning analog, hand built, not full of gadgets, pre-Geely. Others will look for very original early Series 1 cars. You can see a similar pattern with Elise/Exige - original S1s of both are very popular and many of the Final Editions have been bought by enthusiasts and collectors as keepers. It's a shame there was no official Evora Final Edition.

With the Emira I think the final V6 manual cars will be highly desirable - Lotus really must do a Final Edition. I think the First Editions will be popular too but there will be many more of them. I think we'll see very slow depreciation rather than investment-type growth in values, at least until all ICE production stops. It'll then depend whether they can still be driven economically or if governments tax them to the point of them becoming museum pieces.
Well articulate, and my thoughts on the whole too.

I believe the limitations in the number of Evoras make it the more rare in years to come,as Emira production numbers will dwarf that in a few years alone.

Speedluvver

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I don't know if there's anything similar in the USA, but as soon as my daughter turned 11 I took her on a YoungDrive! lesson at Brands Hatch circuit. Basically a first driving lesson in a dual-control manual Mini. She absolutely loved it!

We also have the Under 17 Car Club for ages 11+. They have meetings every weekend in different locations and the kids drive on closed off areas (e.g. track or airfield) under the guidance of their parents. The kids also get professionally assessed at a number of stages, and essentially once they've finished that they can drive, and doing their formal driving test when they turn 17 should be a mere formality. We haven't been able to yet... erm, none of my cars meet the criteria (manual transmission, four seats)!!

BTW her favourite car of mine is the Elise. She loves the way the supercharger screams like a banshee - thinks it's absolutely bonkers!
I did under 17 CC with two of my kids… well worth it

First Lotus

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score

Totally agree with all these points. My sentiments exactly

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Is it only the first editions that won’t have the new eu speed limiter thing? -that may make a difference to future residuals
Only the V6 FE so far confirmed as definitely not having it. i4 FE will probably have it. Base Edition cars likely to get it but not confirmed.

• Sad
Reactions: ADC