i4 power

Tokion

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Could this be the reason for the lower power (compared to the Merc) Lotus have targeted a sub 200g/Km figure
This issue (that Lotus wants to have a certified sub 200g/km figure) could be one important reason why seemingly the Emira I4 is still under development, and it does not yet seem to have EU (or other areas outside the UK) approval. This is of course just my guess.

I think it will be good for everyone if the Emira I4 will receive approval with a sub 200g/km figure (or even better a sub 190g/km figure). This will make it more marketable in countries that have "more ambitious" emission requirements related to taxation and final selling price.

JPS_67

Reaction score
I scrolled through all the replies above but have not seen anyone mention a possible emission reason for the moderate HP output of the i4. More and more EU countries, and The Netherlands in particular, are taxing CO2. That is the reason why up to now perhaps only 3 or 4 V6 were sold in The Netherlands compared to at least 100 in Belgium where they don't tax CO2 on the selling price. The V6 LE in The Netherlands costs 150k+ against the identical car in Belgium and Germany of just below 100K..... The 50k+ is pure CO2 Tax in The Netherlands, so a lot of Dutch people are waiting for the i4. But its price has not yet been officially announced awaiting official EU homologation results that will determine the CO2 emission.
I asked for a kickback to 300 HP, to lower the BPM taxes (due to CO2 emission rates) in Holland. I think we all have our different viewpoints...

lynchy73

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I don’t understand how detuning the max power figures of an engine will affect these emissions values (please excuse my ignorance). Surely these tests are done at low load. If the same engine and the same hardware, then the emissions will be the same at low load, regardless of the increased/decreased boost pressure etc that the same engine sees at full load?

Just curious, as I’m not familiar with how these numbers are obtained.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I don’t understand how detuning the max power figures of an engine will affect these emissions values (please excuse my ignorance). Surely these tests are done at low load. If the same engine and the same hardware, then the emissions will be the same at low load, regardless of the increased/decreased boost pressure etc that the same engine sees at full load?

Just curious, as I’m not familiar with how these numbers are obtained.
The new WLTP testing basis for measuring emissions (and fuel economy) is more representative of real world driving and uses a range of engine revs and road speeds. So peak power and de-tuning will be a factor in the measured emissions.

Superman

Emira Owner!!
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
On our factory tour this week, we were told that the i4 would be under 200g/km (they said either 195 or 199, I cannot remember exactly which)

VicVenlo

Reaction score
This issue (that Lotus wants to have a certified sub 200g/km figure) could be one important reason why seemingly the Emira I4 is still under development, and it does not yet seem to have EU (or other areas outside the UK) approval. This is of course just my guess.

I think it will be good for everyone if the Emira I4 will receive approval with a sub 200g/km figure (or even better a sub 190g/km figure). This will make it more marketable in countries that have "more ambitious" emission requirements related to taxation and final selling price.
Official emission has been confirmed by the authorities in Europe: 207 gram. That is the basis for the i4 selling price. In the Netherlands with its ridiculous BPM sales tax this means the official sticker price for the i4 FE is 127 thousand Euro: I'm out and back to an Evora.

Superman

Emira Owner!!
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
You are right, just checked the configurator and it is showing 208g/km (UK)... wonder when they confirmed that?... Our tour guide clearly didn't have the latest info then!

JClem

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
You are right, just checked the configurator and it is showing 208g/km (UK)... wonder when they confirmed that?... Our tour guide clearly didn't have the latest info then!
This is the same figure as the A45 and similar to the CLA45 so not surprising really. Unless Lotus were expecting lower figures due to it being de-tuned?

JimH

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The UK figures for the i4 on the website are still marked as "target Performance^" (then see the ^ note at the bottom of the page) but the relevant UK Vehicle tax band is 191 to 225g/km so it makes no difference to UK tax rates as long as it's within that band ;)

£1,565 on registration for year 1, £180 + £390 = £570pa for years 2 to 6, then £180pa from year 7 onwards.....

Fido

Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
Don’t forget that under WLTP options are added in to give a vehicle specific CO2 number. The current showing is for the LE derivative so it’s not unreasonable to assume that the base version will just sneak in under 200.

JimH

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Don’t forget that under WLTP options are added in to give a vehicle specific CO2 number. The current showing is for the LE derivative so it’s not unreasonable to assume that the base version will just sneak in under 200.
Needs to be 190 or lower to make any difference in the UK though…….

krist

Reaction score
any news of anyone actually getting their i4? Are they producing them yet?

Tokion

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
This is the same figure as the A45 and similar to the CLA45 so not surprising really. Unless Lotus were expecting lower figures due to it being de-tuned?
Lotus has taken all this time continuing development of the I4 to reach perfection including detuning it by -60 hp, and reportedly (by authors elsewhere in this forum) adding synthesized sounds inside, while leaving the regular, nondescript A45 turbo noise for “external listeners”. Even so, no reduction in emission figures (as compared to the M139 original). This makes me wonder if there really was much resources and engineering talent spent on the I4? And this is before mentioning that it seems it was easy enough to add back 40 hp (for a total of 400) to (only) please customers in the “primary business owner’s own country”.

However, I still have hope that Lotus will come up with a pleasant surprise to us I4 owners. After all the I4 has been completely “hidden from view” all the time since the launch in summer 2021 (when I placed the order for my I4 FE. Have never heard of any other car model readily available to order, and at the same time “kept secret like a mule” throughout the entire backorder (delivery time) period.

By the way, due to a more lenient taxation scheme where I reside, and a weaker local currency against the Euro, my contracted price (still valid) for my I4 FE, recalculated into Euro is a little over 97000 EUR (as opposed to 127000 EUR in the Netherlands.) So perhaps this is a slight relief?

Last edited:

Crown

Reaction score
I had to lock my spec the other day for production in December this year .
Not really giving any more thought to bhp output, if it’s 360 with dsg will be close enough to a V6 .
For me it’s plenty to go round corners , that’s what a lotus is best at , I have a Tesla performance for a straight line blast if I feel the need .
I will spend a good bit of time just looking at it when it arrives .
I’ve had a deposit in since reveal night for an i4 , so bas been a long wait. Delighted that I was able to choose from one of the additional colours in the end as a reward for my patience 👍

Attachments

• IMG_2469.png
    IMG_2469.png
    288.2 KB · Views: 68

Tokion

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Lotus has taken all this time continuing development of the I4 to reach perfection including detuning it by -60 hp, and reportedly (by authors elsewhere in this forum) adding synthesized sounds inside, while leaving the regular, nondescript A45 turbo noise for “external listeners”. Even so, no reduction in emission figures (as compared to the M139 original). This makes me wonder if there really was much resources and engineering talent spent on the I4? And this is before mentioning that it seems it was easy enough to add back 40 hp (for a total of 400) to (only) please customers in the “primary business owner’s own country”.

However, I still have hope that Lotus will come up with a pleasant surprise to us I4 owners. After all the I4 has been completely “hidden from view” all the time since the launch in summer 2021 (when I placed the order for my I4 FE. Have never heard of any other car model readily available to order, and at the same time “kept secret like a mule” throughout the entire backorder (delivery time) period.

By the way, due to a more lenient taxation scheme where I reside, and a weaker local currency against the Euro, my contracted price (still valid) for my I4 FE, recalculated into Euro is a little over 97000 EUR (as opposed to 127000 EUR in the Netherlands.) So perhaps this is a slight relief?
Talking to myself then 🤣🤣🤣

«I ordered my I4 FE where I reside (in Japan) the moment Emira was announced (in the UK summer 2021), and we are now passing 2 years. I was recently told my car will be produced during the upcoming November (2023) and I suppose months are added here and there to the waiting time.

If we at least (soon) could get an official unveiling by Lotus and knowledge about what the car will be like (performance, sound, final features), and some YouTube reviews by “the usual suspects” (Harry, Shmee150, Top Gear etc.)⁉️

«The STIG» is waiting in Tokyo for a better I4 FE❣️😇 along with all others who believes that the Emira I4 with AMG 4-cylinder 2 liter turbo engine and AMG 8-speed dual-clutch transmission is going to become a proper Lotus in the tradition of Colin Chapman’s ideals.»

(My choices: Dark Verdant, Lower Black Pack, Silver Wheels, Sport Suspension, Goodyear tires, Alcatra with yellow stripe steering and yellow calipers.)

Last edited:

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Nice to see someone going for Osmium Silver
Wonder what's taking Lotus so long to issue paint sample discs to Dealers? They are needed to facilitate placing FE 2.0 orders in US (3Q?). Also would pair nicely with Base Configurator launch.
So much to long for.... so little to feast on.

Foxy87

Reaction score
I had to lock my spec the other day for production in December this year .
Not really giving any more thought to bhp output, if it’s 360 with dsg will be close enough to a V6 .
For me it’s plenty to go round corners , that’s what a lotus is best at , I have a Tesla performance for a straight line blast if I feel the need .
I will spend a good bit of time just looking at it when it arrives .
I’ve had a deposit in since reveal night for an i4 , so bas been a long wait. Delighted that I was able to choose from one of the additional colours in the end as a reward for my patience 👍
Perfect. Exactly the way I would spec it!