• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Engine cut out

dave355

Reaction score
So out for a quick blast ( in the rain) and up pops acceleration restricted and instant engine cut out .Wont restart just spinning over also hand brake won’t release. So call lotus who send aa whilst waiting tried starting many times but after 20 minutes started with eml on then after stopping and restarting a few times light goes out .aa cant connect with car so drive home and 10 mins in cuts again disconnect battery this time and after 5 mins restarts but light stays on .obviously will contact dealer Monday to recover but any ideas or anyone had similar

OP
dave355

dave355

Reaction score
No the last one was with the wiper recall September time which was supposed to fix my hill start issu but didn’t

Nick Sticks

Reaction score
No the last one was with the wiper recall September time which was supposed to fix my hill start issu but didn’t
Then you need to get it, from what I read it fixes a lot of issues, starting and hill start being two of them.

OP
dave355

dave355

Reaction score
So car being recovered to local dealer tomorrow .wondering if the rain affected something ( not that it should).Also wondering why lotus assist contract out to the AA but not insistent on them having a scanner that connects to the emira. 🤷🏻 not a lot they can do without.

OP
dave355

dave355

Reaction score
lol yes Hardly Ever.
New software update seams to fix the non starting issue but mine cur out completly and then wouldnt start but turned over fine. it started after 20 mins but cut out again after three miles

Time2Fly

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Even after the software update your car cut out? Damn. Alternator connection or loose electrical connection somewhere? I had a motorcycle do this and that's what it ended up being.

OP
dave355

dave355

Reaction score
Yes hopefully something simple.Car is great apart from a couple of issues which hopefully car be fixed With the latest software update

OP
dave355

dave355

Reaction score
update car has been recovered to lotus ashford for diag and repair for the eng cut out. they also said the last software update was September and nothing since.apparently that fixed the hill start release ( certainly not mine) .so can anyone confirm if there is a latter update and what it addressed please

Andrew P

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
update car has been recovered to lotus ashford for diag and repair for the eng cut out. they also said the last software update was September and nothing since.apparently that fixed the hill start release ( certainly not mine) .so can anyone confirm if there is a latter update and what it addressed please
Dave - the software update took more than 6 months to get sorted and what it fixes is a significant non-starting issue connected with the sequencing of how various modules wake up & allow the car to start. So what I experienced with the Summer 2023 software update was that after it my car never started 1st time - press the starter & nothing happens (other than parking brake message appearing - issue not pasking brake issue, just a symptom of the non-starting issue). If you then disconnect the battery & reconnected it then it started fine. This has been confirmed to me by Lotus directly. There may be some other minor fixes but I have not been told about that.
Unfortunately the issue you’re experiencing sounds not much like this. Worth getting the software update but your issue probably lies elsewhere.

OP
dave355

dave355

Reaction score
Hi thanks for the replys got car back today with latest updates and still have the hilstart assistant delay in releasing so no fix there but the engine cut out was a throttle body inlet dust cover that wasn't removed from factory and had been sucked into the throttle body and jammed the butterfly valve. we all know mistakes happen but REALY. So just need to find if the hillstart is a software issue or a fault elsewhere. Just checking on a hill pressing the brake pedal holdw the car and on releasing the pedal and releasing the clutch the car brake holds on for 5 seconds while you slip the clutch to try to pull away.or am i doing something wrong?

Nick Sticks

Reaction score
Hi thanks for the replys got car back today with latest updates and still have the hilstart assistant delay in releasing so no fix there but the engine cut out was a throttle body inlet dust cover that wasn't removed from factory and had been sucked into the throttle body and jammed the butterfly valve. we all know mistakes happen but REALY. So just need to find if the hillstart is a software issue or a fault elsewhere. Just checking on a hill pressing the brake pedal holdw the car and on releasing the pedal and releasing the clutch the car brake holds on for 5 seconds while you slip the clutch to try to pull away.or am i doing something wrong?
Good grief, thankfully it didn't get sucked further in.

It looks like you are doing it right.
Maybe the official 2 seconds feels like 5?
Would be interesting to know if you can start to roll back after the system does release the brakes. I know it should but just to prove it is really releasing them.

From the manual:
The Hill Start Assist System helps
prevent the risk of unintended vehicle
movement when driving away from an
incline.
When stopped on an incline, the Hill
Start Assist System will hold the brakes
on for a further two seconds after
releasing the footbrake.
The brakes will automatically release
after two seconds or as soon as the
vehicle begins to accelerate forward
(whichever is the soonest).

Last edited:

Mistral

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Just checking on a hill pressing the brake pedal holdw the car and on releasing the pedal and releasing the clutch the car brake holds on for 5 seconds while you slip the clutch to try to pull away.or am i doing something wrong?
Mine does it too. Embarrassing at first but when you expect it.....you don't get caught out. I wasn't given the January update as it was deemed unnecessary. I'll go back to the dealer if it persists.

OP
dave355

dave355

Reaction score
Yes definitely more than 2 seconds shame it can’t be disabled to save the clutch. Will roll back as soon as it releases