Emira vs McLaren 570s

EmirOfDenmark

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Yesterday I took my Emira (V6, manual, sports) to the dealer for the annual service. It had to have the seatbelts replaced, so I had to wait some time. The dealer sells all sorts of exotic cars. There was a 570s sitting there ready to be driven out. So, they asked me if I wanted to drive it, so of course I accepted.

In my shopping process which (unexpectedly) ended with the Emira, I have been through a number of cars, including the 570s many months ago. So this was the closest in time, I have driven it to the Emira. I always loved the looks of it, and the brand. And I still do.

So, I was a little concerned when I took it out, if I was going to have buyers regret. I have to say, I was surprised how big, heavy and soft the McLaren felt. Don't get me wrong, great car, bonkers fast once the turbos kick in (and there is a turbo laaaaaaaaaaaag). But, it was not even in the same category of chassis nimbleness, steer feel, and overall experience. I was surprised how underwhelming it felt. I kept asking the dealer if there was something wrong with the 570s, and they were not aware of anything.

I just keep getting surprised how good the Emira actually is. It is great value. And for the money, it is unbelievable value for money.

(on a separate note, after my first service, the software update crashed my infotainment, disabled A/C, and Car Play. But, after a moment of panic, a car restart, got it all back in order. phew.)

Jack Stone

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Interesting to hear how the two UK sportscars compare dynamically.

This is my DV with the even more expensive 720S at Bremont recently - Hethel certainly holds its own over Woking, looks wise!
Emira-with-McLaren-c-maxkj.jpg

OP
EmirOfDenmark

EmirOfDenmark

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Interesting to hear how the two UK sportscars compare dynamically.

This is my DV with the even more expensive 720S at Bremont recently - Hethel certainly holds its own over Woking, looks wise!
View attachment 30388
Oooh, tough call this. Emira has this small nimble, cabin forward look. The 720s has this low-and-flow look. On looks, I would (with heavy bias) call it a draw. Haven't driven the 720s recently, so I wonder how it would feel now... Time for a visit to my friendly dealer ;)

Kentviking

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Yesterday I took my Emira (V6, manual, sports) to the dealer for the annual service. It had to have the seatbelts replaced, so I had to wait some time. The dealer sells all sorts of exotic cars. There was a 570s sitting there ready to be driven out. So, they asked me if I wanted to drive it, so of course I accepted.

In my shopping process which (unexpectedly) ended with the Emira, I have been through a number of cars, including the 570s many months ago. So this was the closest in time, I have driven it to the Emira. I always loved the looks of it, and the brand. And I still do.

So, I was a little concerned when I took it out, if I was going to have buyers regret. I have to say, I was surprised how big, heavy and soft the McLaren felt. Don't get me wrong, great car, bonkers fast once the turbos kick in (and there is a turbo laaaaaaaaaaaag). But, it was not even in the same category of chassis nimbleness, steer feel, and overall experience. I was surprised how underwhelming it felt. I kept asking the dealer if there was something wrong with the 570s, and they were not aware of anything.

I just keep getting surprised how good the Emira actually is. It is great value. And for the money, it is unbelievable value for money.

(on a separate note, after my first service, the software update crashed my infotainment, disabled A/C, and Car Play. But, after a moment of panic, a car restart, got it all back in order. phew.)
I think the Emira is slightly the more raw car, but I prefer the 570s, which in turn I drove back to back with a 720s and over which it was definitely the better, more involving car for my taste. If you think the Emira is a superior driving experience to the 570s I am not going to disagree with you, but I might suggest you try out the later Exige and Evora models too which, judging by your comments above you may find an even more superior driving experience to the Emira.

For me, the Emira hits exactly the right spot for what I currently want out of a car. But in a few years we will be giving the McLaren a go (but likely a 600LT)

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Haha, I wouldn't exactly call the 570S underwhelming by any means. It's a very exciting car to drive! I test drove a few over the last year and found them ridiculously fast, but also not for me. They are just too much power for the road and the Emira (or Evora GT in my case) was the vehicle I was after. I like feeling connected and in control of my car and able to rev it out and have fun (also row my own gears). The 570 was an exciting adrenaline rush, but also a bit scary. Not necessarily because of the power, but the maintenance and repair costs. I feel like I got it out of my system just driving a few and glad I don't own that ticking time bomb of a financial burden. I wouldn't be able to enjoy a sportscar if I knew a potential $10-20k expense could pop up at any time. There's a reason so many pre-owned McLarens are listed with 10-20k miles but have had 4-7 owners.

OP
EmirOfDenmark

EmirOfDenmark

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I think the Emira is slightly the more raw car, but I prefer the 570s, which in turn I drove back to back with a 720s and over which it was definitely the better, more involving car for my taste. If you think the Emira is a superior driving experience to the 570s I am not going to disagree with you, but I might suggest you try out the later Exige and Evora models too which, judging by your comments above you may find an even more superior driving experience to the Emira.

For me, the Emira hits exactly the right spot for what I currently want out of a car. But in a few years we will be giving the McLaren a go (but likely a 600LT)
There are many cars that are more raw than the Emira, but just like you, I think the Emira is the sweet spot of great looking car, modern comforts in the interior and an engaged driving experience.

Interesting you say 600LT, because I did drive it, and I too have my eyes on one. The front lip is ridiculous for street, but I’m prepared to google map my journeys prior to driving, to get the blue flames shooting behind me… upwards…… 😊

OP
EmirOfDenmark

EmirOfDenmark

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
It’s because the big super cars are now so bloated and disconncted.
I agree. It became a spec race, by the numbers, which left the engagement behind (in most cases, not all). That is why I think the Emira is such a breath of fresh air. In order to drive an engaged car you had to live with the shady looks, and dodgy interior (or pay a 250k$ base). Now, you can have it all, an engaged car, that looks like a super car, and has all the interior comforts you need that is very affordable. I hope to see more of that from car manufacturers.

Imagine if Ferrari came out with a modern design Ferrari with a gated shifter, that looks great and is 400-ish HP, with a slick modern interior, light, hydraulic steering, and cost say 150k$….

OP
EmirOfDenmark

EmirOfDenmark

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Haha, I wouldn't exactly call the 570S underwhelming by any means. It's a very exciting car to drive! I test drove a few over the last year and found them ridiculously fast, but also not for me. They are just too much power for the road and the Emira (or Evora GT in my case) was the vehicle I was after. I like feeling connected and in control of my car and able to rev it out and have fun (also row my own gears). The 570 was an exciting adrenaline rush, but also a bit scary. Not necessarily because of the power, but the maintenance and repair costs. I feel like I got it out of my system just driving a few and glad I don't own that ticking time bomb of a financial burden. I wouldn't be able to enjoy a sportscar if I knew a potential $10-20k expense could pop up at any time. There's a reason so many pre-owned McLarens are listed with 10-20k miles but have had 4-7 owners.
The driving experience felt underwhelming to me compared to the Emira, for what I care about. And it was on full beans mode (Active, T, T). If one cares for acceleration, turbo torque, it’s amazing for that. But not even close to the driving engagement you get with the Emira.