Emira Review Index [V6 FE]

Featured
For those looking for the latest Emira V6 FE reviews scheduled to be released today, I've self-volunteered to maintain a quick reference index here.
Please let me know of any missing articles and I'll update accordingly. (y)

ReviewerTypeDirect Link
EdmundsArticle
Harry's Garage (Harry Metcalfe)Video Review

Harry drives the Sports and Tour suspension back to back on the same road and shares his thoughts.
Schmee150 (Tim Burton)Video ReviewPublished 21st June
Carwow (Mat Watson)Video Review
TopGearArticles and VideoPublished 3rd July
Chris Harris talks about the Lotus Emira

Published 20th June

AutoTrader (Rory Reid)Video Review
EvoArticle and Video Review
CARArticle and Video ReviewPublished 22nd July

Lotus Emira vs Cayman 718 GTS vs Alpine 110s
AutocarArticle and Video Review
PistonheadsArticle
KHTVVideo Review
The DriveArticle
AutoExpressArticle
Pictures:
WhichCarArticle
CarBuyerArticle
HagertyArticle
Road and TrackArticlePublished 1st September
Lotus Emira Road and Track Drive

GoodwoodArticle
The IntercoolerPodcastReasonably good post-embargo Emira discussion on The Intercooler.
MotortrendArticle
DriveArticle
AFRArticle
ParkersArticle
CarExpertArticle
Caffeine & MachineArticle
Photos on Instagram:
The Sunday Times DrivingArticle
Car and DriverArticle
The SunArticle
AutoCar UKArticlePublished 2nd July

Last edited:

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Its one other option as is Alpine, Supra, Z4. There's a list of Other Sports Cars all with different merits.
The Lotus brand means nothing to me really it's the overall package that's important to us non lotus owners.

I'm not meaning to be negative, just objective.
This sums up the outcome from most of the reviews:

"It may not be enough to really worry Porsche because the 718 Cayman is so bloody good, but it does give sports car enthusiasts another high class option with similarly impressive performance, refinement and versatility. "

So if the brief was for the Emira to be "THE other sportscar" it sounds like that box has been ticked.

Hedge

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Its one other option as is Alpine, Supra, Z4. There's a list of Other Sports Cars all with different merits.
The Lotus brand means nothing to me really it's the overall package that's important to us non lotus owners.

Throw into that mix an Aston Vantage V12 (2013/4) for between £73k (manual) to £82k.

Old v new, but what an ‘old’ car!

In age where almost all our combustion engine car choices are going to be second hand cars soon anyway, it is a more valid comparison than it used to be.

One area the Lotus definitely wins in my experience is running costs. Which is the massive benefit of that Toyota sourced engine and lightness.
20043374-C733-45FE-A508-005C80016EB1.png

Last edited:

MCS

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
James, another fanboy here. What you two have done with your channel over the past 3 years is nothing short of incredible.

It’s also a treat to have a celebrity join us here. If you’re ever in NorCal (Thunderhill or Sonoma) and want to rip around in my SS1LE or eventually my Emira, you have an open invitation.

Keep the TH entertainment coming and please do an Emira review… even if it means you fly your asses to the UK!
You’re supposed to play hard to get 😎

Hedge

Emira Fan
Reaction score
They are a cracking car, newer used Vantage only 10k more than Emira.
Decisions decisions....
It’s a tough call!

The Emira is definitely the only new sports car I’d consider at the moment for manual, performance, looks, maintenance, price, relative rarity. Over, say, the V12 Aston.

If Harry Metcalfe is right and it’s the manual-gearbox-right-amount-of-power-for-the-road-McLaren, then that’s going to be absolutely awesome. My next sentence may sound silly, but hopefully folks will forgive me: I see the Emira sitting on the same spectrum as the GMA cars, (but elsewhere on that spectrum).

Maybe just my rose tinted glasses for Lotuses!!

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score

I'm kind of in the overall package camp, BUT the biggest draw for me was the fact it was a LOTUS!
Was really hoping Lotus would do a GR Yaris and mix performance with the everyday usability/reliability.
I think they have done that but I'm just disappointed that they 'may' have dialed it back just a little too much. The sub 400bhp and 6800 redline is grating me as well..... More than I thought it would as 400bhp is plenty. Just feel I've been robbed of that final biscuit.... Seems a little lazy following the Evora business model of the last 10 years of base 400, possible 410 and final GT430. Just.... not.... quite.... moving.... the.... game.... on.......
But hey what else do you get new at the moment!

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I'm kind of in the overall package camp, BUT the biggest draw for me was the fact it was a LOTUS!
Was really hoping Lotus would do a GR Yaris and mix performance with the everyday usability/reliability.
I think they have done that but I'm just disappointed that they 'may' have dialed it back just a little too much. The sub 400bhp and 6800 redline is grating me as well..... More than I thought it would as 400bhp is plenty. Just feel I've been robbed of that final biscuit.... Seems a little lazy following the Evora business model of the last 10 years of base 400, possible 410 and final GT430. Just.... not.... quite.... moving.... the.... game.... on.......
But hey what else do you get new at the moment!
I4 🤔

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
If im going sideways it’s because I’m in the middle of having a crash. Never quite understood why they spend so much time reviewing road cars like this.

I just see that and wonder how much it will cost to replace the tyres. I’m definitely getting older.
Or because your between a rock and a hard place :)

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
I know we can but I don’t think we should, realistically compare the emira with used cars just as the price point matches.
And I can’t see how we can relitically compare a 4 cylinder Japanese sports car with this version and it’s V6

I know all these cars in their own rights are good, some maybe great, but they are not fair or worthwhile comparisons in my mind. Why?
Well a 5-10 year old car does not come with a warranty for one. An Aston’s parts department makes more money than bill gates does. A v12 to a v6 is not for me a comparison and the emira does not compete with any of these cars imo and certainly lotus does not set out to make it so.

I believe the only like for likes are the ever loved and hated cayman, and the never mentioned jaguar F type.

I don’t see anything else apples for apples. An alpine is a v4 that sounds as cheap as it feels inside and looks on the outside. It competes more with an Elise or exige not an emira, although maybe maybe for the amg but with the sound and power it doesn’t compete much there either.

If we go looking at all second hand cars then my 911 from 1980 v6. Lighter and less power but good sound and handling also competes but it really doesn’t.

Not to be down on the whole comparison thing and everyone’s mind works In Different ways when they think about spending this money on a new car, but this doesn’t. Make them competitors in reality.

We could as I say go get a lancía Fulvia zagata whixh sounds great etc and say it has lower running costs and what have you, but all that’s never ending and not helpful
Ufff I’m grumpy today 😤

NickR

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score

The V8 Ftype is also worth a look. This is what I'll be getting if I get totally p*ssed off with Lotus. Probably the new shape

Kentviking

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Yes I agree and both British. Shame the f type is over weight but a great design, more of a tourer though.
Funnily enough, my son has an immaculate low mileage 2013 V6 F-type, fully loaded with carbon and it is an absolute hoot to drive and the soundtrack is proper old-school...but he is pondering chopping it in for a more hardcore Exige. I am quite tempted to take it off his hands to keep a convertible in the stable.

And to pick up earlier comments in this thread I have to say that my alternatives to the Emira would be a 570s or an Aston Vanquish. I appreciate the running costs differential, but I had a db9 for 5 years and that only cost me about £2k a year to run on average (£4.5k if you include depreciation). If potential big-bill shocks are a concern you can get that covered by a warranty.

frazzer

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Just watching the EVO review on the Artura, Jethro describes the weight 'thanks to obsessive light-weighting' as a 'hell of an achievement'. At 1498kg din, it's heavier than the Emira. Of course it is an achievement given it has an e-motor + batteries, but it's interesting how subjective the whole weight thing is. I guess the e-diff makes the difference too.

Weight mentioned 5:00 in

Last edited:

Hedge

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Just watching the EVO review on the Artura, Jethro describes the weight 'thanks to obsessive light-weighting' as a 'hell of an achievement'. At 1498kg din, it's heavier than the Emira. Of course it is an achievement given it has an e-motor + batteries, but it's interesting how subjective the whole weight thing is. I guess the e-diff makes the difference too.

Weight mentioned 5:00 in
It’s all relative, I suppose. Performance is in another universe to the Emira. Imagine if it was this weight but same power as the 570…

Won’t comment on the rest of the review :(

freefall_junkie

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Interesting too that Evo weighed the GT4 at 1460kg and it never comes in for the same criticism as the Emira for excess weight. When Lotus do a GT version of the Emira (carbon roof, tailgate, bucket seats, lithium battery, less sound deadening etc) it is likely to be a good chunk lighter than the GT4. No doubt Evo will still be worshipping at the alter of the almighty Porsche :)