Emira Review Index [V6 FE]

Featured
For those looking for the latest Emira V6 FE reviews scheduled to be released today, I've self-volunteered to maintain a quick reference index here.
Please let me know of any missing articles and I'll update accordingly. (y)

ReviewerTypeDirect Link
EdmundsArticle
Harry's Garage (Harry Metcalfe)Video Review

Harry drives the Sports and Tour suspension back to back on the same road and shares his thoughts.
Schmee150 (Tim Burton)Video ReviewPublished 21st June
Carwow (Mat Watson)Video Review
TopGearArticles and VideoPublished 3rd July
Chris Harris talks about the Lotus Emira

Published 20th June

AutoTrader (Rory Reid)Video Review
EvoArticle and Video Review
CARArticle and Video ReviewPublished 22nd July

Lotus Emira vs Cayman 718 GTS vs Alpine 110s
AutocarArticle and Video Review
PistonheadsArticle
KHTVVideo Review
The DriveArticle
AutoExpressArticle
Pictures:
WhichCarArticle
CarBuyerArticle
HagertyArticle
Road and TrackArticlePublished 1st September
Lotus Emira Road and Track Drive

GoodwoodArticle
The IntercoolerPodcastReasonably good post-embargo Emira discussion on The Intercooler.
MotortrendArticle
DriveArticle
AFRArticle
ParkersArticle
CarExpertArticle
Caffeine & MachineArticle
Photos on Instagram:
The Sunday Times DrivingArticle
Car and DriverArticle
The SunArticle
AutoCar UKArticlePublished 2nd July

Last edited:

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Harry had one of the press cars for 5 days. As well as his YouTube review, which was the main output of that week, he posted on his social media a few times about "just popping out again in the Emira because it's such fun".

The EVO magazine review was based on a 3000 mile trip to Monaco and back, which is longer than most press tests.

The Top Gear online review today also mentions needing to settle in for a while to appreciate the character and handling of the car.

I'm hoping there'll be some more info this week for early customers about our revised delivery dates. I'm catching up with a few Lotus people at Goodwood on Thursday, so hope to have some updates on various topics. Don't worry - seats, wheel gap and redline are on the list :)

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Harry had one of the press cars for 5 days. As well as his YouTube review, which was the main output of that week, he posted on his social media a few times about "just popping out again in the Emira because it's such fun".

The EVO magazine review was based on a 3000 mile trip to Monaco and back, which is longer than most press tests.

The Top Gear online review today also mentions needing to settle in for a while to appreciate the character and handling of the car.

I'm hoping there'll be some more info this week for early customers about our revised delivery dates. I'm catching up with a few Lotus people at Goodwood on Thursday, so hope to have some updates on various topics. Don't worry - seats, wheel gap and redline are on the list :)
Also ask if the leather steering wheel has perforated leather (it may be on display on one of the cars, so pictures of that would be greatly appreciated!). Ask if it has start/stop, and if possible, see if you can get a listen to the KEF system. It would be nice to get some feedback on how it sounds.

TIA

Jonhklee

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Sounds like very decent road going sports car with great composure and grip. I’m totally after a road car anyway…. Especially DCT i4…. Happy with that packaging even more now.

Not 100% sure about the initial understeer feel from a couple of reviews. But seeing the back end steering on throttle with Harris, I’m not too concerned. All sounds like Lotus is playing it safe for the masses who may not be used to Mid-engine RWD layout - I’m totally ok with that, providing the initial turn in feels energetic and have some keenness to turn in and ESP has some decent controlled slip. Sounds like it’s a car to reward smooth and tidy drive, rather than full on attacking the road and bends. A carver rather than a slasher of a car….

All will be Perfect 7/10 for me then…. As I’m nowhere near to being a driving God on the road…… if it makes me look this uniquely and make me feel that good driving it on real UK roads, then sign me up….and it will be a keeper. Porsche Cayman owners can keep theirs, I’m sure I know what I would like to keep in 15-20 years time. Mines a keeper.

Last edited:

First Lotus

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I think that's even worse!
Jeez. So now my 2022 outright sportscar redlines at the same level as my 1995 V6 Corrado...
If your listening Lotus these little things make all the difference!
A 1995 V6 corrado?... That's the first ever car I crashed in to! Straight in to the back of it in my 1985 Fiesta XR2! Oh how I wish I still had that car😊.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
A 1995 V6 corrado?... That's the first ever car I crashed in to! Straight in to the back of it in my 1985 Fiesta XR2! Oh how I wish I still had that car😊.
I still have mine, thank god you still aren't on the roads in your XR2i you Corrado menace! 😆
Take it that the Ford was a right off.....
And what do you mean the "first car...."
🤣

New to Lotus

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Yes, think we can rest assured now it's going to be what we all expected FUN and GREAT to drive. Not a gt4 competitor though, gts yes.
Just want mine delivering now!!!!

First Lotus

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I still have mine, thank god you still aren't on the roads in your XR2i you Corrado menace! 😆
Take it that the Ford was a right off.....
And what do you mean the "first car...."
🤣
It's an embarrassing long list, while I realised I am no Chris Harris!
I am now at ease with my abilities and stay within them😉

richbrown

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Not looking particularly rosie is it... Only read Autocar, EVO and AutoExpress so far but vague steering and gearbox and a brake pedal that is less than ideal for heel and toe isn't what I want to hear about my new Lotus.
I've not been commenting on the forum much as there wasn't really much more to say until the reviews came out.
If it genuinely is a 4 star car tho and I can't get a test drive in a production car before taking delivery in July then I'm out.
Cant help but think Lotus have really shot themselves in the foot with this prototype review nonsense a month away from customer deliveries
Agree
Not looking particularly rosie is it... Only read Autocar, EVO and AutoExpress so far but vague steering and gearbox and a brake pedal that is less than ideal for heel and toe isn't what I want to hear about my new Lotus.
I've not been commenting on the forum much as there wasn't really much more to say until the reviews came out.
If it genuinely is a 4 star car tho and I can't get a test drive in a production car before taking delivery in July then I'm out.
Cant help but think Lotus have really shot themselves in the foot with this prototype review nonsense a month away from customer deliveries
likewise and by now I’d hope to have had a test in a manual to decide once and for all my transmission choice. I’ve had a few wobbles but think I’ll hang in as delivery times on anything else new is 12-18 months away. More importantly how’s the VR6 restoration doing ? (Off thread so hope I don’t get shot down! Not eco warrior related though)

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Good review from Schmee! However, this is yet another review that doesn't mention the brakes at all (unless I missed it)! I wonder why these are being overlooked.

The exposed and illuminated shift linkage is really cool though! I can't wait to start seeing reviews from real owners and get their perspective.. I appreciate Harris and Catchpole and the like, but I want to hear from drivers who aren't used to driving supercars with 1000 hp too!

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
I believe we have already heard that the brakes are excellent. I am not worried about them.

I'm sure they are.. They're big AP brakes, but it'd be nice to hear some comments about them by the guys who've gotten track it!

Johnson

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Shmee’s video is out on YouTube

That gearshift seems so subjective — he obviously loves it. Watching him change gears it’s quite a long throw, but narrow sideways. Perhaps that’s what’s throwing off some reviewers?

@TomE, when you’re at the factory, could you also compare the red start/stop cover to the magma red? Looking at the Top Gear written review, the colours look to be exactly the same…

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
The cover is a solid gloss red, like signal red. It's not Magma, which has a metallic flake, or the caliper red, which is darker.

switchlanez

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Shmee echoes my sentiment on emotional driving engagement vs pragmatic driving utility:

"At this price point this is head-to-head against the Cayman GT4. . .I think it does it, though, with more sense of excitement and occasion and slightly less of the clinical precision. But that means when you get it right, you get it right and it feels really, really good as a result."

Last edited:

Hedge

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Schmee echoes my sentiment on emotional driving engagement vs pragmatic driving utility:

"At this price point this is head-to-head against the Cayman GT4. . .I think it does it, though, with more sense of excitement and occasion and slightly less of the clinical precision. But that means when you get it right, you get it right and it feels really, really good as a result."
In a very well done review, that was the most important (and positive) point for me. :)

MCS

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Thought I’d check with my local dealer what the chances of getting a spyder were… zero. Lotus it is then 😁