Emira Review Index [V6 FE]

Featured
For those looking for the latest Emira V6 FE reviews scheduled to be released today, I've self-volunteered to maintain a quick reference index here.
Please let me know of any missing articles and I'll update accordingly. (y)

ReviewerTypeDirect Link
EdmundsArticle
Harry's Garage (Harry Metcalfe)Video Review

Harry drives the Sports and Tour suspension back to back on the same road and shares his thoughts.
Schmee150 (Tim Burton)Video ReviewPublished 21st June
Carwow (Mat Watson)Video Review
TopGearArticles and VideoPublished 3rd July
Chris Harris talks about the Lotus Emira

Published 20th June

AutoTrader (Rory Reid)Video Review
EvoArticle and Video Review
CARArticle and Video ReviewPublished 22nd July

Lotus Emira vs Cayman 718 GTS vs Alpine 110s
AutocarArticle and Video Review
PistonheadsArticle
KHTVVideo Review
The DriveArticle
AutoExpressArticle
Pictures:
WhichCarArticle
CarBuyerArticle
HagertyArticle
Road and TrackArticlePublished 1st September
Lotus Emira Road and Track Drive

GoodwoodArticle
The IntercoolerPodcastReasonably good post-embargo Emira discussion on The Intercooler.
MotortrendArticle
DriveArticle
AFRArticle
ParkersArticle
CarExpertArticle
Caffeine & MachineArticle
Photos on Instagram:
The Sunday Times DrivingArticle
Car and DriverArticle
The SunArticle
AutoCar UKArticlePublished 2nd July

Last edited:

Tommyboy1986

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I test drove an Exige 410 yesterday which was my first experience of this drive train. I appreciate the Exige is a much lighter car but it seemed absolutely ballistic from pretty much zero revs all the way to the red line. It was also accompanied at all times with an explosive sound track which was very addictive.
I also tried a GTS 4.0 and that doesn't half shift when on song but really does need to be kept towards the top end of the rev range. The difference in pickup at lower revs was very noticeable when compared back to back with the Exige. If you do keep it up there it delights with a great soundtrack but is almost silent at lower revs.
Manual or auto?

Dabjbr

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Think they are holding it back so the next model up gets improved performance/higher revs.
Could be…. They did that with the last Supra. I’m almost hopeful they do being I’m in line for a BE and not a FE.

That said, I wouldn’t want early adopters to get burned. That would suck for them and make Lotus look like jerks.

Dabjbr

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Anyone know when, or from whom, we can expect a production car review?!

It sure would be nice to know what we’re actually getting and not have reviewers rely on “they’re going to fix that” and hold back appropriate criticism.

I mean, I want all reviews to be glowing so my purchase decision is reinforced. However, I also want issues called out so Lotus fixes them before I take delivery.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Anyone know when, or from whom, we can expect a production car review?!

It sure would be nice to know what we’re actually getting and not have reviewers rely on “they’re going to fix that” and hold back appropriate criticism.

I mean, I want all reviews to be glowing so my purchase decision is reinforced. However, I also want issues called out so Lotus fixes them before I take delivery.
You would think Harry, Schmee and the like will be getting their cars early next month when dealer demos ship

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I don't think they're holding the V6 back to provide room for the next model. They've apparently done that with the i4, and it's 40 hp less than the one China is getting because they aren't getting the V6. Lowering the rpm on the V6 by 200 and the hp by only 16 is not enough to be a big difference. The 40 hp drop of the i4 gives you the insight. I believe what that one reviewer said was true; they had to do it to meet the emissions.

Consider that Matt already said last year, that they can only use the V6 for 5 years due to emissions and regulations. That was 2021, so 5 years later is 2026. If that's the last model year, they'll start selling those in late 2025 which is only about 3 years from now. They already have at least a year's worth of orders on the books, which carries them through 2023 and into 2024, so how much time is actually going to be left for an Emira with a V6?

We don't know what the general public is going to do once they see these out on the street, so there may be another surge of deposits/orders in the next 6 months or so. Business-wise, I don't see any reason to make any big changes at this point, so there will probably be one final edition coming out in 2025 for model year 2026, and that will be it.

If any of you are thinking you'll wait and see before placing your order, you might want to at least get your deposit in now before there's a surge of orders (presuming there will be one), otherwise you may not be able to get what you want if you want a V6 model. If the backlog we have now is for the first edition as-is, you can imagine what would happen if Lotus announces an S model that's lighter and has more power as the final edition. If you don't already have a deposit in before it's announced, you won't be getting one.

mjw930

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Those of you suggesting that the 200rpm lower redline is to make emissions standards, are also suggesting that there won't be a later model with more power, no? How is Lotus going to get the extra 15-30hp without raising the redline, thus raising emissions? What am I missing?

This feels like a totally bogus excuse to me. They lowered engine performance and added hundreds of pounds to the car. It's no wonder the 0-60 time is suffering a bit. I just hope it's really a 4.3 second car and not a 5 second car as some of those videos suggest.
You do realize the peak HP means nothing in relation to 0-60 time, correct?

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
For those looking for the latest Emira reviews scheduled to be released today, I've self-volunteered to maintain a quick reference index here.
Please let me know of any missing articles and I'll update accordingly. (y)

ReviewerTypeDirect Link
EdmundsArticle
Harry's Garage (Harry Metcalfe)Video Review

Harry drives the Sports and Tour suspension back to back on the same road and shares his thoughts.
Schmee150 (Tim Burton)Video Review<youtube> None yet released.
Carwow (Mat Watson)Video Review
TopGearArticle
AutoTrader (Rory Reid)Video Review
EvoArticle and Video Review
CARArticle and Video Review
Lotus Emira vs Cayman 718 GTS vs Alpine 110s
AutocarArticle and Video Review
PistonheadsArticle
KHTVVideo Review
The DriveArticle
AutoExpressArticle
Pictures:
WhichCarArticle
CarBuyerArticle
HagertyArticle
Road and TrackArticle
GoodwoodArticle
The IntercoolerPodcastReasonably good post-embargo Emira discussion on The Intercooler.
MotortrendArticle
DriveArticle
AFRArticle
ParkersArticle
CarExpertArticle
Caffeine & MachineArticle
Photos on Instagram:
The Sunday Times DrivingArticle
Car and DriverArticle
The SunArticle
Another review (courtesy of another forum).
First Drive: Lotus Emira 2022 Review | GRR (goodwood.com)

The Emira is a fine achievement. You’ll doubtless read elsewhere that ‘it’s the car the Evora should have been from the start’, but actually it’s better than that. It is now that thing the Evora could never have been: an entirely credible alternative to a Porsche Cayman. No, it’s not perfect but nobody expects perfection from a Lotus. What they want is a car with superb chassis characteristics that are focused on the quality of the driving experience, but to have such assets in a form that makes the car as good in reality as it seems in theory.

And on these points the Emira does not disappoint. Which is not to say it cannot be improved. We’ll wait for a full road test before passing final judgement on fit and finish, but we can say now it should be lighter than it is and that you should take care choosing the right suspension and differential combination. Even so, as the last Lotus to be powered by an internal combustion engine, the Emira is both a fitting farewell to the past as well as a fluently executed, impressive and enjoyable bridge to its future.

switchlanez

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Think they are holding it back so the next model up gets improved performance/higher revs.
From this thread:
Matt said privately the first hotter version would be V6 based, building on the profile of the V6-powered GT4 race car in the 2023 season and as a final production run before the V6 is retired.

They won't boost the i4 above the V6's power while the V6 is still in production.

DJS

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Its all on the individual, still unsure test drive the Cayman GTS and make your own mind up EASY

Me, i have done the Cayman thing and now its time for something new EMIRA

Evotion

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
They gave the Cayman GTS a 9/10 - though a while ago.
2 points different? wow.

Gearbox.. that will be fine. I didn't even notice it when I went for a couple of drives in the Exige 410 Sport.
Steering wheel - well, non of us know what that is really like on the road but enough to spoil the fun? No chance.

Anyway, I am getting too defensive again. 🙄 :)

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Bear in mind the March VP cars didn't have final NVH, so I wouldn't read too much into the comment about road and engine noise.

Speedluvver

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Well... and the Porsches are criticised for exactly the same thing... in fact Harry M said the Porsche is louder...

I come from an Exige s2 (just did 3000 miles in 10 days in it.. road noise is mute (excuse the pun)

frazzer

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
7/10 !?

How very dare they.... 🙄 :D
I think the most meaningful reviews are long-termers. Whenever I've had a car for a short while it's hard to feel what it's about and get past the idiosyncrasies which form part of the initial impression. After time they become less important and a feel for the overall character of the car develops. Yes these guys are far more tuned in, but still sometimes I'm not sure how relevant a lot of short term impressions are.

Citizen

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Can’t wait to see a review from the costumer view, tired of any media reviews