Emira Review Index [V6 FE]

Featured
For those looking for the latest Emira V6 FE reviews scheduled to be released today, I've self-volunteered to maintain a quick reference index here.
Please let me know of any missing articles and I'll update accordingly. (y)

ReviewerTypeDirect Link
EdmundsArticle
Harry's Garage (Harry Metcalfe)Video Review

Harry drives the Sports and Tour suspension back to back on the same road and shares his thoughts.
Schmee150 (Tim Burton)Video ReviewPublished 21st June
Carwow (Mat Watson)Video Review
TopGearArticles and VideoPublished 3rd July
Chris Harris talks about the Lotus Emira

Published 20th June

AutoTrader (Rory Reid)Video Review
EvoArticle and Video Review
CARArticle and Video ReviewPublished 22nd July

Lotus Emira vs Cayman 718 GTS vs Alpine 110s
AutocarArticle and Video Review
PistonheadsArticle
KHTVVideo Review
The DriveArticle
AutoExpressArticle
Pictures:
WhichCarArticle
CarBuyerArticle
HagertyArticle
Road and TrackArticlePublished 1st September
Lotus Emira Road and Track Drive

GoodwoodArticle
The IntercoolerPodcastReasonably good post-embargo Emira discussion on The Intercooler.
MotortrendArticle
DriveArticle
AFRArticle
ParkersArticle
CarExpertArticle
Caffeine & MachineArticle
Photos on Instagram:
The Sunday Times DrivingArticle
Car and DriverArticle
The SunArticle
AutoCar UKArticlePublished 2nd July

Last edited:

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Those prices have been creeping up for the past year- but share your sentiments. If the Emira wasn't just so good looking it would be easier to walk away.. It's like having Charlie Dimmock design your garden or Charlize Theron - you'd want Charlie Dimock for a great garden but wouldn't care what garden Charlize Theron created as you'd be absorbed in her beauty.
Have you seen those Charlie Dimmock-sized humps on the Spyder! :love:

74k gets you a 5k mile example albeit 2/3 owners and 6 years old..... It will come down to residuals with me, if I think I am going to take a bath on the Emira then it will be Pork all the way

Lots_Of_Trouble

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Have you seen those Charlie Dimmock-sized humps on the Spyder! :love:

74k gets you a 5k mile example albeit 2/3 owners and 6 years old..... It will come down to residuals with me, if I think I am going to take a bath on the Emira then it will be Pork all the way
981 over the 718?
981 all day long for me

im sure all of this Porsche talk will be forgotten once we get the Emira...

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Not looking particularly rosie is it... Only read Autocar, EVO and AutoExpress so far but vague steering and gearbox and a brake pedal that is less than ideal for heel and toe isn't what I want to hear about my new Lotus.
I've not been commenting on the forum much as there wasn't really much more to say until the reviews came out.
If it genuinely is a 4 star car tho and I can't get a test drive in a production car before taking delivery in July then I'm out.
Cant help but think Lotus have really shot themselves in the foot with this prototype review nonsense a month away from customer deliveries
yes they have not played this well.... they should have got some feedback from these guys and then given them the final car....
not easy, but its been so long they could have done it....
oh well, ive still not seen any yet..... cant get out of my online meeting

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
981 over the 718?
981 all day long for me

im sure all of this Porsche talk will be forgotten once we get the Emira...
981 for me as I don't think you need the full GT chassis on the road and the 981 sounds better without having to drop £6k + on an exhaust for the 718 (Id rather spend that money on shorter ratios for the manual box from RPM)

Jonhklee

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Matt Prior, Autocar

And as a driver’s car, it’s mostly great. On challenging stretches of road is where it’s absolutely at its best, in fact. On a road where there are loads of inputs on one side of the car and fewer on the other, strewn with cambers and crests and gradients, it shows its true Lotus origins.

Across my favourite test route, it feels seriously good, refusing to lose traction over an off-camber crest where most cars scrabble a little and only giving the merest ripple of vibration through the steering when encountering big surface imperfections while both braking and cornering
Is this touring or sports suspension on review?

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
What a bloody dilemma to be in - wait for an I4 FE and go to the back of the queue, buy an Emira V6 FE on PCP and don't care about the residuals as I'm only renting it.
I'm starting to feel less comfortable dropping 80k into savings on this car and I wont unless i can do a test drive before paying the remainder of the balance.

DrD

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Not to be too biased on this enthusiast forum, but I do think there's a lot of latching on to the negativity and negating some solid positives. I think what you can separate out from the reviews is the track vs road bias; which I appreciate for some people looking for that hardcore track machine may be a bit disappointed.

What I'm interpreting from the multitude of reviews is the chassis is primarily set up for the road as a high priority, and that even in the sports suspension, it's natural home isn't the track. In the UK at least, it makes sense as our roads are generally a little twistier and pretty poor surface. There seems to be a lot of positives about it's road handling characteristics, even briefly from Jethro and EVO. However there's no denying it may not be as at home on the track as a GTS or a GT4.

For me personally, this is good enough news. I adore the looks, I'm excited by the noise and the interior. I love a good thrash down a British B road and I'll do maybe 2 trackdays a year; where I'll concede no doubt a GTS may be better, but the other 98% more than makes up for it.

It also helps that I was never cross shopping any other car, it was either do I want an emira or not... The reviews (especially Harry's who I'd probably align my priorities with more so), have just reinforced this.

(this is coming from someone who's had 2 caymans and a 991.1 911 GTS )...

ALSO GOD DAMN MAGMA LOOKS GOOD.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
What a bloody dilemma to be in - wait for an I4 FE and go to the back of the queue, buy an Emira V6 FE on PCP and don't care about the residuals as I'm only renting it.
I'm starting to feel less comfortable dropping 80k into savings on this car and I wont unless i can do a test drive before paying the remainder of the balance.
You won't drop to the back of the queue (allegedly) You go into the existing i4 waiting list as per your original deposit date. So you should theoretically be in the first batch of i4 cars released to UK.
I looked at PCP as well as an option to savings, but dropping a possible £12k a year rental doesn't really appeal either

Last edited:
OP
digilotus

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Carbuyer review is out

Lots_Of_Trouble

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Not to be too biased on this enthusiast forum, but I do think there's a lot of latching on to the negativity and negating some solid positives. I think what you can separate out from the reviews is the track vs road bias; which I appreciate for some people looking for that hardcore track machine may be a bit disappointed.

What I'm interpreting from the multitude of reviews is the chassis is primarily set up for the road as a high priority, and that even in the sports suspension, it's natural home isn't the track. In the UK at least, it makes sense as our roads are generally a little twistier and pretty poor surface. There seems to be a lot of positives about it's road handling characteristics, even briefly from Jethro and EVO. However there's no denying it may not be as at home on the track as a GTS or a GT4.

For me personally, this is good enough news. I adore the looks, I'm excited by the noise and the interior. I love a good thrash down a British B road and I'll do maybe 2 trackdays a year; where I'll concede no doubt a GTS may be better, but the other 98% more than makes up for it.

It also helps that I was never cross shopping any other car, it was either do I want an emira or not... The reviews (especially Harry's who I'd probably align my priorities with more so), have just reinforced this.

i saw the Magma in person near Leamington Spa the other day, it was stunning, especially with the ICE interior!

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
I've only watched Harry's review so far... Overall it's positive, as expected. I'm happy I went with Sport chassis, since my Emira will be a weekend car and track toy. Gavin said the main difference between tour and sport is the stiffer Bilsteins in sport and slightly higher Eibach spring rates. Is that the only difference? What about swaybars and various bushings? Can we confirm those are identical across the 2 options?

Honeywell

Reaction score
This thing looks Ardent Red - or is it just a filter they have used??

Attachments

• AF6638EE-44D8-4C93-933F-7D28A946F9A6.jpeg
    AF6638EE-44D8-4C93-933F-7D28A946F9A6.jpeg
    177.6 KB · Views: 60
OP
digilotus

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Carwow review is out!

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
That Evo review was brutal! 😔 Jethro was disappointed to say the least. Old engine, trans not good enough, too much body roll even with the sports chassis, etc... Gavin has got to be upset watching that review (I know I am).

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score

That is a good summary. Lots of reviews have been done about great cars that just haven't been quite as great as the greatest ones! Still doesn't mean you shouldn't buy them as they still have a lot to offer.
(I do want a 3.8L NA 991 GTS though... great car)