• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Emira Modifications?

Dlirium

Reaction score
I know there are a lot of mods for previous models (Exhaust, Boost pulley, etc), What sorts of aftermarket options might you expect to be available for the Emira in the months after launch?

RapidLotus

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Probably about the same as you see for Evora and they will lag the release by a bit. I expect parts coming out of the UK to be available first since they will have the cars to modify first. Many of us will not risk loosing the warrantee though. Lotus appears to be VERY strict that "thou shalt not modify or thee is screwed...." A US owner of a GT lost his at 1000 miles when the dealer determined he had installed a cold air intake.

OP
Dlirium

Dlirium

Reaction score
Probably about the same as you see for Evora and they will lag the release by a bit. I expect parts coming out of the UK to be available first since they will have the cars to modify first. Many of us will not risk loosing the warrantee though. Lotus appears to be VERY strict that "thou shalt not modify or thee is screwed...." A US owner of a GT lost his at 1000 miles when the dealer determined he had installed a cold air intake.

Wow, something as mild as a Cold Air intake? I was thinking an Exhaust would be mandatory, but perhaps I leave it alone for a while :)

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Really? Cold air intake? Wow, that's harsh. Although I do know that most CAI systems, especially the ones with oil filters, let in too much fine sand particles and can lead to additional engine wear.

I don't plan on modifying my Emira. I might add a dashcam, that's about it.

PaulP

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
In the USA warranty cannot be voided unless the manufacturer can prove the modification is related to the failure at hand. The cannot void your car warranty just for making a modification

Same reason those “remove this and warranty is void” stickers don’t mean crap.

RapidLotus

Emira Fan
Reaction score
In the USA warranty cannot be voided unless the manufacturer can prove the modification is related to the failure at hand. The cannot void your car warranty just for making a modification

Same reason those “remove this and warranty is void” stickers don’t mean crap.

I am attaching the link to the TSB from Lotus. The below is a screen capture of part of the first page as a teaser... The major reason is contamination of the MAF and ingestion of contaminates. Please read the entire TSB. I am familiar with the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act but Lotus is looking at an intake modification is the input to the engine so the engine warranty would be voided. I am sure a lawyer could have fun in court but who wants to get involved with that.....

1634245399236.png

RapidLotus

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I'll hang onto my Elise so I can mod and play for the first years of the Emira and then sell it and go crazy on the Emira. There are lots of Emira buyers with deep pockets that will not care about the warrantee and will immediately start major mods but I am not in that group. We will be FE owners and should consider ourselves Guinee Pigs for Lotus. They are giving us a fully loaded Emira at a reasonable price to be their test subjects. I can accept that! As such, I will play their game and be VERY careful what I mod. I'd love to hear what the deep pocket guys plan to do to their cars right off the bat. Maybe that would make for a good thread.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
As a weekend car my only concern is the noise of the Emira not being as expected due to the current particulate filters and may be the only thing that I would want to change/mod.
Have their been any easy mods released to better the sound on the Evora last couple of years? Or was it generally deemed unnecessary?

Style

Reaction score
I'll hang onto my Elise so I can mod and play for the first years of the Emira and then sell it and go crazy on the Emira. There are lots of Emira buyers with deep pockets that will not care about the warrantee and will immediately start major mods but I am not in that group. We will be FE owners and should consider ourselves Guinee Pigs for Lotus. They are giving us a fully loaded Emira at a reasonable price to be their test subjects. I can accept that! As such, I will play their game and be VERY careful what I mod. I'd love to hear what the deep pocket guys plan to do to their cars right off the bat. Maybe that would make for a good thread.
I modified my new 2014 C7 with a supercharger within the first month of ownership only because I had confidence in the supercharger being used and the company that provides and installs them for a living, plus they are located in the same State where I live. I am less sure if I will mod my Emira right away if ever, as I found the support for supercharger upgrades in the US is not as widespread as the Corvette.

I have never owned a Lotus but after much internet searching, the only company in the US that I may feel comfortable with mod upgrades is BOE and even using them might dissuade me from modding since they are located in a different State, plus I never received a response from them when I asked if they plan to produce mods for the Emira. I do know their superchargers should be a direct fit for the Emira since it is the same V6 used in the Evora, so it shouldn't be long before they are available after launch.

I am sure people on the forum will tell me I do not need any more HP and I am sure they are correct, and after hearing all the great things about the driving experience of a Lotus vehicle I have no doubt I will enjoy it. I may just focus on weight savings for the first year and down the line see what is available for performance upgrades. I am sure I will get the mod itch and cave to installing a supercharger if one is available in a year.

Last edited:

RapidLotus

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I modified my new 2014 C7 with a supercharger within the first month of ownership only because I had confidence in the supercharger being used and the company that provides and installs them for a living, plus they are located in the same State where I live. I am less sure if I will mod my Emira right away if ever, as I found the support for supercharger upgrades in the US is not as widespread as the Corvette.

I have never owned a Lotus but after much internet searching, the only company in the US that I may feel comfortable with mod upgrades is BOE and even using them might dissuade me from modding since they are located in a different State, plus I never received a response from them when I asked if they plan to produce mods for the Emira. I do know their superchargers should be a direct fit for the Emira since it is the same V6 used in the Evora, so it shouldn't be long before they are available after launch.

I am sure people on the forum will tell me I do not need any more HP and I am sure they are correct, and after hearing all the great things about the driving experience of a Lotus vehicle I have no doubt I will enjoy it. I may just focus on weight savings for the first year and down the line see what is available for performance upgrades. I am sure I will get the mod itch and cave to installing a supercharger if one is available in a year.
You do realize that the V6 is already supercharged? I am assuming that you are wanting to add a larger supercharger and a tune then. More boost from the factory supercharger can be achieved with a smaller pully but I think the most difficult hurdle facing us is finding someone to learn how and to provide the ECU tune required. The tune will be a must if we are to mod these cars in the future unless you want to get adventurous and switch to an aftermarket ECU.

Style

Reaction score
You do realize that the V6 is already supercharged? I am assuming that you are wanting to add a larger supercharger and a tune then. More boost from the factory supercharger can be achieved with a smaller pully but I think the most difficult hurdle facing us is finding someone to learn how and to provide the ECU tune required. The tune will be a must if we are to mod these cars in the future unless you want to get adventurous and switch to an aftermarket ECU.
Yes I am aware of the factory SC. How much more HP do you think is possible with a smaller pully and an ECU (when and/or if ever available)?

RapidLotus

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Yes I am aware of the factory SC. How much more HP do you think is possible with a smaller pully and an ECU (when and/or if ever available)?
That is a better question for BOE since they have the experience. I have an Elise with a BWR supercharger and considered going to a smaller pulley and was told it is pretty noticeable. I'm not aware of any hard numbers and don't want to spend the money on another tune so I decided to pass on the smaller pulley upgrade for now.

Pops68

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I got the mod bug on my Z06. The guy who built my Pantera called it "getting horny for hp" First the obligatory intake/exhaust which was fun but K&N didn't have an emissions sticker which made getting a smog check a pain, and the exhaust had soft rubber bumpers that allowed the pipes to bounce up and down as though they were broken. I replaced them with harder bumpers but they like to walk off the hanger mounts so I had a shop tack weld the pipes. Still wanting more power and in part because the 7.0L had a valve train issue, I did a top-end redo with reliable valvetrain, cam etc. then aggressive tune, The sound was awesome and the whole car shook at idle due to that cam. Pretty cool. Sadly though it was so powerful I had to modulate the throttle to keep traction in the first 3 gears. I developed a hard-start issue that sounded like the engine had blown. My tuner had gone out of business and Chevy service wouldn't touch the car so I had to seek out a new tuner/mechanic. This expensive lesson took all the fun out of my beloved car and cost me 10's of thousands of dollars. In hindsight that original 505hp was a perfect setup for the car and I never should have messed with it. Won't make that mistake with my Lotus, providing of course I'm still alive when it gets to me....well, maybe the air freshener?..:)

Last edited:

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
You will be able to buy a power upgrade from Komotec for sure, and that will cost far less than a Mclaren or Aston. If you could add 30 hp to the Emira for say, £2k, would you be happy with it then?

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
You will be able to buy a power upgrade from Komotec for sure, and that will cost far less than a Mclaren or Aston. If you could add 30 hp to the Emira for say, £2k, would you be happy with it then?

You'll be throwing your warranty away at the same time. A bit of a risk on a new model. I typically wait until at least ~10k miles before tuning. I figure (hope) any gremlins would appear by then.

And $2k for 30HP? 😒

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
You'll be throwing your warranty away at the same time. A bit of a risk on a new model. I typically wait until at least ~10k miles before tuning. I figure (hope) any gremlins would appear by then.

And $2k for 30HP? 😒
I would wait the 10K miles as well...

2K for the 30 HP and I believe the tune does a remapping as well. Also increase the redline.... I think it's worth the juice at a 2K cost. It would make a noticeable difference.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

And $2k for 30HP? 😒
Of course you would wait, especially on a brand-new model, but the option will be there. The warranty is only 3 years anyways, so after 3 years, it might be a nice refresh to add another 30 hp at that point.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I would wait the 10K miles as well...

2K for the 30 HP and I believe the tune does a remapping as well. Also increase the redline.... I think it's worth the juice at a 2K cost. It would make a noticeable difference.
Lotus should offer this as a Warranted performance pack at £3k (even tho 415 7200rpm should have been std lol)