C8 is "more controllable at its limits than the Lotus Emira." - Rory Reid

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Watching Rory's latest review of the C8 Vette and surprised to hear the Emira mentioned briefly.. twice. This part toward the end of the review was interesting to me:

"..more controllable at its limits than the Lotus Emira."

Mods, feel free to move this to one of the numerous other C8 Vette threads.

Green

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Watching Rory's latest review of the C8 Vette and surprised to hear the Emira mentioned briefly.. twice. This part toward the end of the review was interesting to me:

A face only a mother could love:geek:

SmallerBaller

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Does anyone remember what suspension/ tire combo Rory had for his review of the Emira? Too lazy to go look myself right now! That might have been a factor... If no one gets back to me I will rewatch and let you know

TRX250EX

Reaction score
That's BS, I driven the car and know even racing drivers who did, C8 one of worst when it comes driving on the limit, if you exceed the limit you are basically gone!

Let me tell you why, it have over 60% of it's weight at the back (1% to 911) so don't get fooled by mid engine term, it have one of longest wheelbases in Sports/Supercars in the market infact only some Hybrids that are longer, the issue is you get uncontrollable oversteer unlike 911 which have significantly shorter wheelbase and more nimble to drive same goes for Emira.

Now look at this and think what is a car that have long wheel base and more rear weight biased? And answer will be dragsters, for Chevrolet to get that 0-60 time under 3s they needed to do these, it's more of marketing car than actual engineering achievement car, GM knows how to fool people in marketing they done it many times and C8 is one of these, a good (powerful) mid engine setup is around 56-58% depending on the car but C8 is closer to rear engine car.

Mistral

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
'More controllable at it's limits '

If I recall Reid drove the Emira at the Hethel test track where he must have been into 3 figures for a lot of the time, with some very heavy braking into the tighter corners. If the film clip of the Corvette C8 is representative of where he was putting it through it's paces, he was on a canyon road and probably not doing much above 70mph, without the really heavy braking into the turns, driving one handed most of the time, waxing lyrical.

He may have thought that it was better than the Emira at it's limits, always subjective, but was it a fair comparison? He wanted to really like the Corvette, the whole piece was about Americana, shooting, burger at a diner, and, for $60k what's not to like? It's a bargain. But more controllable at it's limits? I doubt it.

Last edited:

Magicman

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I don't get why, given the effort of officially bringing the c8 to the UK, that there's almost zero marketing for it here. Not sure where you'd even buy one from

912Matt

Emira Fan
Reaction score

Top Gear reject ….

Pops68

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I had a c6z06 for 12 fun years and I drove the pants off it, but there is no way on the street to explore the upper limits of the Corvette. I doubt I'll get to the upper limit of the Emira either but my guess/hope is that I'll be able to use more of it than the Vette. I'm after that balance, not insane and useless power.

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The other bit that isn't mentioned is that it requires constant and rather significant compensation from the MagneRide adaptive suspension and TC/stability control to make a C8 'vette truly "controllable" on the limit. The Emira does so with entirely passive dampers and a very light touch with TC.

Last edited: