• The July 2024 Lotus Emira of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 July 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Battery Tender?

On my lightly used cars (driven once a week, once every other week), I've found that my battery life is improved if I keep it on the tender. My thoughts are if a battery is allowed to discharge for a week, 2 weeks, or more over and over again between drives and charging, it loses its ability to take a full charge sooner in its overall lifespan. Before I was using a tender on a regular basis, seems like I was going through batteries every two years or so, and dealing with no-starts more often than I cared. Now with my regular tender use, I've managed to extend this lifespan much closer to my daily driven experience, I believe. Not a large dataset I recognize, just my personal experience, FWIW.

I feel like there is too much stress on this. The emira is a modern car and should work like a modern car- as in you can drive it around, park and drive again.

I think the trickle charger is there because it’s clear that the emira is mostly a 2nd 3rd or 4th car so may not be driven much in which case trickle charger makes sense. Also given Lotus you don’t want the battery to go wonky since the electronics are finicky as is. But there must be some reasonable guideline on when to use the trickle charger, winter hibernation? Yes. Maybe not driving for at least 2 weeks?
The main handbook says:
With normal daily use, it should not be
necessary to use a battery charger. In
low usage conditions, it is important to
maintain the battery charge state using
a suitable trickle charger, or automatic
battery management conditioner.

and

Starting difficulties may be
experienced after an unused period of
18 days approximately.

So it's a reasonable period but as someone else says, too many times fully discharging the battery doesn't do it's lifespan any good.