❔ QUESTION Anyone noticed the weird engine map

JasonR

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
So now the car is broken in I’ve noticed that the car gets to about 6k rpm and pulls hard. I’m not sure if that’s VVT giving it that extra shove buts it’s over all too quickly and then hits the limiter like a brick wall. It feels like the engine has way more too give like an extra 1000rpm of surge we’re missing out on. Wondering if it’s just me

Kimmax

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Speaking of a weird map, anyone else with a random hole in first somewhere like 1500-1700 (guessed) rpm? Noticeable when gently accelerating from a stop with someone slow in front. Basically holds of accelerating for something that feels like a second and then pulls out of it

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Speaking of a weird map, anyone else with a random hole in first somewhere like 1500-1700 (guessed) rpm? Noticeable when gently accelerating from a stop with someone slow in front. Basically holds of accelerating for something that feels like a second and then pulls out of it

Could be limiting torque as part of traction control. Test this in sport and track mode and see if it still acts that way.

Kimmax

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Could be limiting torque as part of traction control. Test this in sport and track mode and see if it still acts that way.
I'm almost always in Sport, also traction control at <30km/h without hard acceleration.. I would rule this out

OP
JasonR

JasonR

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Not noticed this on mine but will check it out when I get the chance. Still not hearing anyone else with the same setup as myself. I’m hoping it’s not an issue and should be pulling harder for more rpm…

TomAce

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Not noticed this on mine but will check it out when I get the chance. Still not hearing anyone else with the same setup as myself. I’m hoping it’s not an issue and should be pulling harder for more rpm…
I am having the same setup, it's like the good old Vtec is kicking in at about 5500-6000rpm and then you hit the rev-limiter, much too soon.

It's exactly as you stated, the engine feels like it wants to rev much higher. This was the same behaviour with the demo car. So I think it's meant to be that way.

And to be honest, this feels quite unnatural, because the engine keeps pulling strong, makes it's peak BHP at 6800rpm and then you hit the rev-limiter wall.

Usually you feel an engine running beyond it's peak BHP and you know it's time for next gear. This doesn't.

PJS

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
So now the car is broken in I’ve noticed that the car gets to about 6k rpm and pulls hard. I’m not sure if that’s VVT giving it that extra shove buts it’s over all too quickly and then hits the limiter like a brick wall. It feels like the engine has way more too give like an extra 1000rpm of surge we’re missing out on. Wondering if it’s just me
Yep, reminds me of my old celica t sport back in the day. Loads of extra shove at the top end and over too quickly

OP
JasonR

JasonR

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Glad I’m not the only one. Definitely think once these are out of warranty that you could safely raise the rev limit to 7500. Think that would make for a more enjoyable drive as well

Gridgway

Reaction score
Exactly what the v6 did in the Evora. Used to really annoy me! Sports mode gave a few more revs, but it just got going then ran out of revs. That's why I'm going for the i4 Emira, not the v6

likeakidonchristmaseve

Reaction score
Is it the supercharger kicking in late? I tested it on road and changed to the I4 as I felt I had to really rev it to get the supercharger contributing.

meenboli

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
It is but it really starts pulling from 3000-3500, almost feels like turbo lag 😂
Would be interesting to see the torque 'curve' - as it should (with a supercharger) be linear - certainly by comparison to a turbo.

Hmm.

I have an Audi S5 (mapped/pulley mod/milltek'd to 500hp) - same pull pretty much all the way until it redlines - but by then you're crapping yourself so it doesn't matter! :ROFLMAO:

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Would be interesting to see the torque 'curve' - as it should (with a supercharger) be linear - certainly by comparison to a turbo.

Hmm.

I have an Audi S5 (mapped/pulley mod/milltek'd to 500hp) - same pull pretty much all the way until it redlines - but by then you're crapping yourself so it doesn't matter! :ROFLMAO:
Looks like every twin screw type torque curve I’ve ever seen. Immediate ramp up to a flat torque curve.

1686142055698.jpeg

OP
JasonR

JasonR

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Yep - wonder why people are reporting the surge then? It's not what that shows... 🤷‍♂️
Feels like VVT rather than supercharger related but doesn’t show on the graph…

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
The low end hole seems like it would be throttle mapping, didn’t notice it much during test drive.

The top end running harder is just speed, noise and vibration in combination with the lowered redline due to emissions making it obvious the engine can run longer. When you look at that dyno, the power curve is just chopped off, no leveling off whatsoever.

VVTI isn’t supposed to be noticeable either, it’s not like early VTEC in Hondas with an abrupt torque curve change.