Scoates' Magma Red Emira

OP
scoates

scoates

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Checked the drain holes, no water coming out of them but it did feel damp inside with a slight water droplet on my finger when I took it out. When I did this checking the bottom of the door where the drain holes are I spotted more bubbling down there as well...

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Checked the drain holes, no water coming out of them but it did feel damp inside with a slight water droplet on my finger when I took it out. When I did this checking the bottom of the door where the drain holes are I spotted more bubbling down there as well...
This is awful. Either you have entirely defective door panel material, or these cars possibly have a design defect in the water drain system to get water out of the door cavity. Every car collects water there due to the nature of a roll-down window, and every manufacturer comes up with a strategy to get the moisture out.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
This is awful. Either you have entirely defective door panel material, or these cars possibly have a design defect in the water drain system to get water out of the door cavity. Every car collects water there due to the nature of a roll-down window, and every manufacturer comes up with a strategy to get the moisture out.
Why can’t it be both? This really is becoming an issue of when not if.

If Lotus doesn’t approach this with a TSB, what are we doing? Drilling holes?

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Why can’t it be both? This really is becoming an issue of when not if.
Right but you get what I'm saying, this type of composite material is always going to absorb a little bit of moisture if there's no effective drain. You can't fill something like that with water and let it sit for days or weeks and not expect some issues. The drain thing is a serious problem even without the paint issue.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
If Lotus doesn’t approach this with a TSB, what are we doing? Drilling holes?

They literally told an early buyer to do just that. I don't think it was scoates, but didn't someone have an issue with water getting into the hatch and freezing? Lotus told them to drill a hole in it to let the water drain.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
They literally told an early buyer to do just that. I don't think it was scoates, but didn't someone have an issue with water getting into the hatch and freezing? Lotus told them to drill a hole in it to let the water drain.

It was @ott - See their post about it here.

Temporary fix as advised by Lotus is to drill drain hole. Lets see how long it takes for new hatch to be delivered ?

Go Kart

… has a HUGE member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
1712508937345.gif

I swear the more negative aspects of this roll out I read makes me want to veto my wife’s patience for this car in our garage.

She wants a fun manual car though, so there aren’t many options out there… and I doubt she’d want anything else at this point.

OP
scoates

scoates

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

On the bottom of the door there seemed to be 3 holes, one nearest the front of the door which is also the furthest down where water would drain there was no plug in the hole so should allow water out, the others had rubber plugs which I removed and that is where I felt the slight moisture. The whole base of the door was wet and dirty as it forms the top of the air duct but I'm sure some of the moisture came from the inside rather than the outside...

OP
scoates

scoates

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
View attachment 40709
I swear the more negative aspects of this roll out I read makes me want to veto my wife’s patience for this car in our garage.

She wants a fun manual car though, so there aren’t many options out there… and I doubt she’d want anything else at this point.

As a fun manual car I still maintain there isn't anything better out there for driving feel and engagement that you can still buy new. My car was one of the earliest so it is possible a lot of these issues have been solved, but as time goes on I'm likely to discover more as an early buyer. It doesn't bother me too much, but it is the response, or lack thereof, from the dealers with regards to fixing it that is getting more and more difficult to tolerate.