Scoates' Magma Red Emira

scoates

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I've just taken delivery this morning, loving the car!

I received my checkout email on the 17th of October and applied for PCP finance through the checkout dashboard and received a phone call about an hour later to say that it was approved. The next stage was the 2nd of November when I was contacted to discuss delivery dates I opted for home delivery to NE Scotland and was offered either the 15th, 16th, or 17th of November. I then received the finance documents on the 3rd November, and the invoice to pay the remainder of my deposit on the 7th of November. I was told at that stage the payment needs to be received by Lotus 72 working hours before delivery.

On the 14th I received a WhatsApp message with some photos and a rough ETA, and this morning another message with a link to a live tracker for the delivery. Shoutout to Steve for delivering so early, car had arrived by 8:30am!

Only been able to do a short gentle drive so far (been raining all night and all morning, typical!) but happy with the sports suspension, can definitely feel the lumps and bumps but nothing harsh, and I think it will come into its own on dry roads! Overall extremely pleased with the car so far!

AkjhBZJ.jpg

YKMixL4.jpg

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

I received my checkout email on the 17th of October and applied for PCP finance through the checkout dashboard and received a phone call about an hour later to say that it was approved. The next stage was the 2nd of November when I was contacted to discuss delivery dates I opted for home delivery to NE Scotland and was offered either the 15th, 16th, or 17th of November. I then received the finance documents on the 3rd November, and the invoice to pay the remainder of my deposit on the 7th of November. I was told at that stage the payment needs to be received by Lotus 72 working hours before delivery.

On the 14th I received a WhatsApp message with some photos and a rough ETA, and this morning another message with a link to a live tracker for the delivery. Shoutout to Steve for delivering so early, car had arrived by 8:30am!

Only been able to do a short gentle drive so far (been raining all night and all morning, typical!) but happy with the sports suspension, can definitely feel the lumps and bumps but nothing harsh, and I think it will come into its own on dry roads! Overall extremely pleased with the car so far!

AkjhBZJ.jpg

YKMixL4.jpg
Wow, congratulations! Looks like a fantastic addition to the collection!

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Yes the checkout email where you get the unique link to choose the likes of service plans and extra insurances, the "30 day email".

As part of the handover I was specifically shown where the water goes, the location of the drain holes and explained that it is normal for the water to go all over there. Only one small drip went into the actual boot though!
you have the same colour as my spanish car, but perhaps not the same weather.. haha..
Ive gone for the DC wheels and alcantara interior.....
I like DC, but may at some point wrap black.... for a gangster type look.. hah

OP
scoates

scoates

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
you have the same colour as my spanish car, but perhaps not the same weather.. haha..
Ive gone for the DC wheels and alcantara interior.....
I like DC, but may at some point wrap black.... for a gangster type look.. hah

The DC wheels are really good, and the colour is so much better in real life than in the pics. It really has a depth to it and the metallic will really shine in the Spanish sunshine! Definitely more than in the Scottish showers anyways 😂

Pugwash

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
That looks great! I have gone for the same colour combination but without the black pack. First time I have seen Magma with DC wheels and yellow calipers which works really well.

Johnson

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
@scoates is that your Toyota (or BRZ)? I’d be really interested in a detailed comparison… something I don’t think the reviewers will ever do because of the price differential. I’ve driven a BRZ and it sticks to the road like nothing else… an absolute hoot to drive.

OP
scoates

scoates

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
@scoates is that your Toyota (or BRZ)? I’d be really interested in a detailed comparison… something I don’t think the reviewers will ever do because of the price differential. I’ve driven a BRZ and it sticks to the road like nothing else… an absolute hoot to drive.

If you like the 86/BRZ you should love the Emira! Basically it takes all the good things about the 86/BRZ and makes them even better. I love having to actually drive the 86 to get the best out of it, use the full rev range and keep the momentum through the corners. The Emira is similar in the linear power delivery in that it builds the more you rev but with a lot more of it. There's a lot more feel through the steering and chassis and the gearbox is more mechanical feeling. I recently did a drive through the hills and in terms of the fun and feel of the actual drive the 86 comes close, but the overall experience of the Emira is just more in every way, an absolute joy to shift down to keep in the power band, feel the grip round the corner and the suspension working and accelerating out again. Of all the cars I've driven (other than Emira) the 86 has been my favourite, more than my Supra and GR Yaris, and the Emira definitely beats it.

If you, or anyone else, wants anything more specific let me know and I'll do my best to answer! In a way I was trying to hold off on this kind of comparison as I know so many people write off the 86/BRZ based on perceived performance on paper and I didn't want the same for the Emira, but it is the same as people saying the Emira is underpowered. If you understand and appreciate the 86, you'll understand and appreciate the Emira if you know what I mean.

Last edited:

Tim Hodgson

Reaction score

AkjhBZJ.jpg

YKMixL4.jpg
Great news (same spec as mine!) out of interest when did you put your deposit down? Would be good for everyone to get a rough idea on delivery schedules!

OP
scoates

scoates

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Great news (same spec as mine!) out of interest when did you put your deposit down? Would be good for everyone to get a rough idea on delivery schedules!

Great! Definitely a good spec, I was a little unsure of how it would all work in real life especially after they changed the shade of yellow in the callipers, but it really works well!

I was extremely lucky and was offered a cancellation slot back in Feb which I jumped at! They wouldn't tell me the date of the original deposit unfortunately. I think though from what we've seen the original deposit date doesn't mean an awful lot...

Tim Hodgson

Reaction score
Great! Definitely a good spec, I was a little unsure of how it would all work in real life especially after they changed the shade of yellow in the callipers, but it really works well!

I was extremely lucky and was offered a cancellation slot back in Feb which I jumped at! They wouldn't tell me the date of the original deposit unfortunately. I think though from what we've seen the original deposit date doesn't mean an awful lot...
I paid a deposit early July last year and have been told build next few weeks with delivery end Dec/early Jan. This is Lotus though so it could all change!!
Thanks for the update, very helpful! Enjoy!

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
If you like the 86/BRZ you should love the Emira! Basically it takes all the good things about the 86/BRZ and makes them even better. I love having to actually drive the 86 to get the best out of it, use the full rev range and keep the momentum through the corners. The Emira is similar in the linear power delivery in that it builds the more you rev but with a lot more of it. There's a lot more feel through the steering and chassis and the gearbox is more mechanical feeling. I recently did a drive through the hills and in terms of the fun and feel of the actual drive the 86 comes close, but the overall experience of the Emira is just more in every way, an absolute joy to shift down to keep in the power band, feel the grip round the corner and the suspension working and accelerating out again. Of all the cars I've driven (other than Emira) the 86 has been my favourite, more than my Supra and GR Yaris, and the Emira definitely beats it.

If you, or anyone else, wants anything more specific let me know and I'll do my best to answer! In a way I was trying to hold off on this kind of comparison as I know so many people write off the 86/BRZ based on perceived performance on paper and I didn't want the same for the Emira, but it is the same as people saying the Emira is underpowered. If you understand and appreciate the 86, you'll understand and appreciate the Emira if you know what I mean.
I dont understand the 86 and whats more I dont understand you, as you speak with a heavy highlands accent, but most of all as you got my red car before me.. haha..
glad you are enjoying it!..... been out in the wet? which tyres.... any "moments"/?

Lankan

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score

If you, or anyone else, wants anything more specific let me know and I'll do my best to answer! In a way I was trying to hold off on this kind of comparison as I know so many people write off the 86/BRZ based on perceived performance and I didn't want the same for the Emira, but it is the same as people saying the Emira is underpowered. If you understand and appreciate the 86, you'll understand and appreciate the Emira if you know what I mean.
Fantastic to hear this. Would love to see a comparison between the Emira and the GT86 (or is it the GR86?).

So many rate the GT86 (BRZ) and now the GR86, which to me is the classic front-engined, RWD, manual experience. Does the GT86/BRZ have a transaxle configuration, or is it only the GR86? If so, that would be absolutely perfect...so much poise and balance with this configuration, which I have experienced as a long-term owner of both a Porsche 968CS (daily driver) and an Alfa Romeo SZ (ES-30).

Interested to hear that you prefer the GT/GR86 over the GR Yaris, which I can relate to - wish I had the 968CS to compare against the GRY. Again, a comparison between the 86 and GRY would be hugely appreciated. So far, the GRY excels in tricky conditions, and covering ground at a rapid rate in those conditions. That is the biggest attraction for me.

Last edited:
OP
scoates

scoates

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I dont understand the 86

Och haud yer wheesht! The 86's a richt gid caer!

glad you are enjoying it!..... been out in the wet? which tyres.... any "moments"/?

Been out in the wet and cold on the Cup 2s and Goodyears! No moments to speak of, but you could definitely feel the Cup 2s had very little grip and they went over puddles rather than through them, drivable as long as you were very careful but I wouldn't want to do anything except short journeys under 60mph. Switching to the Goodyears instantly gave more confidence and they've been fantastic in all the conditions I've tried them in so far. Wet, dry, under 4ºC. Not tried them in snow, and I probably won't. That's what the Yaris is for!

See my post as well over in the wheels/tyres thread:

OP
scoates

scoates

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Fantastic to hear this. Would love to see a comparison between the Emira and the GT86 (or is it the GR86?).

So many rate the GT86 (BRZ) and now the GR86, which to me is the classic front-engined, RWD, manual experience. Does the GT86/BRZ have a transaxle configuration, or is it only the GR86? If so, that would be absolutely perfect...so much poise and balance with this configuration, which I have experienced as a long-term owner of both a Porsche 968CS (daily driver) and an Alfa Romeo SZ (ES-30).

Interested to hear that you prefer the GT/GR86 over the GR Yaris, which I can relate to - wish I had the 968CS to compare against the GRY. Again, a comparison between the 86 and GRY would be hugely appreciated. So far, the GRY excels in tricky conditions, and covering ground at a rapid rate in those conditions. That is the biggest attraction for me.

For me the 86 does give the classic sports car experience, it does everything as well as it needs to to give the experience and nothing more, and does it brilliantly. The Emira takes everything to another level.

I don't think the GT86 has a transaxle.

I love the GR Yaris as well, but in terms of driving experience the 86 wins for me, the GR Yaris is far faster and more capable in all conditions, but less fun. I reckon Emira and GR Yaris would be a fantastic 2 car garage that would cover all weather conditions, and if I didn't own any cars at the moment, they would be the two I would be interested in.

Johnson

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
You’ve kindled my excitement for the Emira even more! Coming from a history of “normal” sports cars (MR2, MX-5, GTI, BRZ) I would hate to be in a car that needs to be controlled rather than driven. I can’t understand how people can enjoy driving a car that will kill you if you press too hard.

That said, I’m a little nervous after seeing videos of the Emira doing 110km/hr in second gear. That’s our top speed here in little Tassie, and there are police and speed cameras around every corner. I hope the car will forgive me if I don’t often red-line it.

OP
scoates

scoates

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
You’ve kindled my excitement for the Emira even more! Coming from a history of “normal” sports cars (MR2, MX-5, GTI, BRZ) I would hate to be in a car that needs to be controlled rather than driven. I can’t understand how people can enjoy driving a car that will kill you if you press too hard.

That said, I’m a little nervous after seeing videos of the Emira doing 110km/hr in second gear. That’s our top speed here in little Tassie, and there are police and speed cameras around every corner. I hope the car will forgive me if I don’t often red-line it.

I'd say the Emira is a car you can enjoy all the performance on the road as the limits feel very high as it is super capable, but since the power is manageable you feel like you're really able to use it, unlike other cars where you need to do stupid speeds before you feel like you're properly driving the car. My Supra can easily get to 90mph and feel at that point you're properly driving the car until you see the speedo and it's far too fast, the Emira you get the fun and experience at legal speeds, but it can easy go faster if on track.

For the roads I've driven so far in both the 86 and the Emira the gear I was in was very similar, you don't need to use all the revs in the Emira to get the speed like you do in the 86/BRZ, you can pile on speed with a lot lower RPM and use the gears like you would the BRZ, but it does still reward you for getting right to the top.