• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

About the designer that designed the cars you own/drive, love, or aspire to own one day...

Lankan

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Following on from the topic created by @eclat2emira titled "Emira Styling: We all know it's gorgeous, but why...?"...

I am quite keen to know about the designer(s) who actually designed the cars that I love, own, have owned, or aspire to own one day. I have read about these individuals, but I have recently been sent a link to a YouTube clip to a channel called Crown Unfiltered - Car Design Podcast, where the host, a designer himself, interviews others in the industry. There are some that caught my eye so thought this may be of interest to those who may be equally interested in such trivia.

Lotus (Elise, well I actually have a Series 2 Exige): Julian Thompson - Part 1 [Part 2 is also available]

Renault (Concept Cars + Clio V6): Axel Breun - Part 1 & The Birth of the Clio V6 - didn't know until I watched this that AB's mad idea of placing a Twingo shell on a Ferarri 308's chassis led to the birth of the Clio V6 - it's just fantastic when you learn something new about a 19-year-old car you have owned for the past 11 years!

Alfa Romeo (Giulietta, 1750 GTV & Tipo 33 Stradale): Alfa Romeo's THREE GREATEST DESIGNS (although this analysis is not by the designer(s) of any of the 3 cars featured).
Loved my 1750 GTV-based GTAm replica race car, about which I have posted up here before. I don't miss it though as it was too brutal and uncomfortable to use.

I will update this thread if, and when, I find other such interviews - Alfa SZ is at the top of my list at present, but difficult because there were 3 teams who put forward proposals, one of them being Zagato (SZ = Sprint Zagato), but it wasn't Zagato's design that finally made the cut.

Would be great to hear other such designers and what really switches them on.

Last edited:

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
You might like Frank Stephenson's channel. He has a a series of episodes on design covering the McLaren P1, Maserati MC12, Fiat 500, Ferrari F430 etc. He covers cars he was involved with and reviews of other.

He commented on the design of the Emira shortly after launch and proposed a number of changes. Towards the end of the episode he acknowledged Lotus had done a brilliant job and his changes were mainly personal preferences.

andrew6382

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
You might like Frank Stephenson's channel. He has a a series of episodes on design covering the McLaren P1, Maserati MC12, Fiat 500, Ferrari F430 etc. He covers cars he was involved with and reviews of other.

He commented on the design of the Emira shortly after launch and proposed a number of changes. Towards the end of the episode he acknowledged Lotus had done a brilliant job and his changes were mainly personal preferences.
Yes an interesting watch, ended up watching more after seeing his Emira video :)

OP
Lankan

Lankan

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score

Thanks. I had forgotten about FS' take on the Emira - wasn't it posted up on here before?
Found the clip on Afa Romeo (now added to the first post) on this channel, which was brilliant. (y)

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Yes I think we discussed it on here when he first published it. I think he was struggling to improve on the Emira design!

Lots of other interesting stuff on his channel and that was the main reason for highlighting it.

torstin

Reaction score
Yes I think we discussed it on here when he first published it. I think he was struggling to improve on the Emira design!

Lots of other interesting stuff on his channel and that was the main reason for highlighting it.
His take on the rear lights I didn’t agree with but now cars already on the road like Seat have a similar look to what the Emira will launch with

OP
Lankan

Lankan

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score

Indeed, I have been working my way through FS' channel, which is superb.

Great piece on the GMA T.33 and the THREE GREATEST DESIGNS from Porsche no doubt will cause a few debates given that the 928 was chosen instead of the 911. Not that I dispute this - the 928 had its fans but purists dismissed it as it was heavy and not as nimble when compared to the 911s of that era.