• The June 2024 Lotus Emira of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 June 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Poll for Those with Paint Blistering / Bubbling Defect

Does your Emira have any Paint Blistering/Bubbling issues, and if it does, when was it manufactured?

• My Emira does not have any Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues

Votes: 81 76.4%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (Prior to 01/23)

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (01/23)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (02/23)

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (03/23)

Votes: 7 6.6%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (04/23)

• My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (05/23)

• My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (06/23)

• My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (07/23)

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (08/23)

• My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (09/23)

• My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (10/23)

• My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (After 10/23)

• Total voters
Build date was May 2023 and collection was July 2023

My understanding is car will likely go to hethel for 2 new doors and paint and need to cover the cost of ceramic as well
Sad to hear about your experience hopefully it will be resolved soon!
How do you check the build date if I may ask ?

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrr bubbling found today on drivers door .... year old ... contacted Lotus and its going for an inspection

• Sad
Reactions: ADC
Sad to hear about your experience hopefully it will be resolved soon!
How do you check the build date if I may ask ?
I have been following this thread since we got our car, and I appreciate the effort to determine if a certain build date‘s potential defects contributed to the problem. I have thought a great deal about the issue, and as a long time Lotus owner (50 years), an A&P, IA who’s background is in metal and composite and paint restoration, I have a few thoughts. Keep in mind that this is just my opinion at this point and may not prove to be accurate.
Lotus cars have always had problems with their fiberglass/composite bodywork. The early cars fiberglass components were susceptible to gel coat stress cracks , which propagated dramatically after the warranty ended. Our M100 Elan‘s hood skin separated from the underlying support panel when the adhesive failed. Our Elise’ front end suffered ( like most others) from still active solvents in bonding adhesive that distorted the front clam’s bodywork and paint between the headlights and blinkers over time. Lotus now has outsourced the body panel production of the Emira, and the problems still continue.
It is my current theory that the all the bodywork produced for all of the cars so far is defective to some degree.These cars have at most only been around for only a couple of years, so they are still in the early stages of their lives. What separates their condition is the kind of environment they are in. Daily drivers never garaged in rainy environments are much more likely to succumb to the bubble disease than ones garaged, and rarely washed in semi arid conditions. The doors are the most likely to first exhibit the problem as there is a long open void along the top edge that allows water ingress next to the window. It’s obvious that moisture is being captured by some structure or feature inside the doors as the bubbles form in a straight horizontal line. This moisture can come from rain, washing or condensation and is apparently trapped against the outer panel. The apparent porosity in the body panel, no matter how small, allows perhaps capillary effect or more likely vapor pressure to force itself through and against the paintwork on the outside of the panel forming the bubble. As these cars age and are exposed to more environmental events it seems likely to me that the bubbling effect will become much more common fleet wide, perhaps effecting the majority of the cars. It will interesting to see what the percentages are at the 5 year and 10 year anniversaries. Again, this just a theory, but I would bet there are more cars than indicated in the survey existing with this problem that owners are unaware of ( or do not interact on this forum).

I have been following this thread since we got our car, and I appreciate the effort to determine if a certain build date‘s potential defects contributed to the problem. I have thought a great deal about the issue, and as a long time Lotus owner (50 years), an A&P, IA who’s background is in metal and composite and paint restoration, I have a few thoughts. Keep in mind that this is just my opinion at this point and may not prove to be accurate.
Lotus cars have always had problems with their fiberglass/composite bodywork. The early cars fiberglass components were susceptible to gel coat stress cracks , which propagated dramatically after the warranty ended. Our M100 Elan‘s hood skin separated from the underlying support panel when the adhesive failed. Our Elise’ front end suffered ( like most others) from still active solvents in bonding adhesive that distorted the front clam’s bodywork and paint between the headlights and blinkers over time. Lotus now has outsourced the body panel production of the Emira, and the problems still continue.
It is my current theory that the all the bodywork produced for all of the cars so far is defective to some degree.These cars have at most only been around for only a couple of years, so they are still in the early stages of their lives. What separates their condition is the kind of environment they are in. Daily drivers never garaged in rainy environments are much more likely to succumb to the bubble disease than ones garaged, and rarely washed in semi arid conditions. The doors are the most likely to first exhibit the problem as there is a long open void along the top edge that allows water ingress next to the window. It’s obvious that moisture is being captured by some structure or feature inside the doors as the bubbles form in a straight horizontal line. This moisture can come from rain, washing or condensation and is apparently trapped against the outer panel. The apparent porosity in the body panel, no matter how small, allows perhaps capillary effect or more likely vapor pressure to force itself through and against the paintwork on the outside of the panel forming the bubble. As these cars age and are exposed to more environmental events it seems likely to me that the bubbling effect will become much more common fleet wide, perhaps effecting the majority of the cars. It will interesting to see what the percentages are at the 5 year and 10 year anniversaries. Again, this just a theory, but I would bet there are more cars than indicated in the survey existing with this problem that owners are unaware of ( or do not interact on this forum).
Most painful post I’ve ever liked.

You would think (hope) with all the replacements over the last couple years that they have this sorted now, right? Right???

The good news is the examples of this showing up in Emiras have been majority UK cars… the bad news is the U.S. market is still new.

I think the U.S. will also have issues within the next year, but that remains to be seen. Whether or not the affected panels have been fixed from the supplier is the million dollar question. We’ll only know that with less reports of blistering in the coming year.

This is one of the reasons I’m grateful my wife’s build is later than most. I’ve said before, and I’ll say it again… I’d rather have a longer wait and not be one of the first deliveries if that means the car is built right. So far we know the AC resistor and diaper on my wife’s car was fixed on the production line, so I’m happy about that.

The good news is the examples of this showing up in Emiras have been majority UK cars… the bad news is the U.S. market is still new.

I think the U.S. will also have issues within the next year, but that remains to be seen. Whether or not the affected panels have been fixed from the supplier is the million dollar question. We’ll only know that with less reports of blistering in the coming year.

This is one of the reasons I’m grateful my wife’s build is later than most. I’ve said before, and I’ll say it again… I’d rather have a longer wait and not be one of the first deliveries if that means the car is built right. So far we know the AC resistor and diaper on my wife’s car was fixed on the production line, so I’m happy about that.
But I drove and Emira today!

Glad the grass is greener on your side. Waiting certainly has it's advantages.

Just noticed this on mine today, drivers door about 3 inches from the top of the paintwork!

Purchased mine in Oct 2023.

It’s been PPF’d so this will be an interesting conversation with Lotus!

• Sad
Reactions: ADC
I was in the same boat - I thought it was going to be a battle but was just accepted. I had to submit them a copy of the bill to prove the type of PPF used. They will be fitting the same as part of the repair by the local dealers preferred PPF company.

If you have a ppf and the paint blisters, does lotus pay to have the ppf redone? And is the remedy for the blistering a replacement for the entire panel that’s blistering? If the panel is replaced are there issues with color matching?

I just noticed a bubble on mine near the lotus badge on the back. F*ck.
For those of us in the U.S. reporting blistering issues can we get build dates for your cars? Your build date should be in the door sill of your car where the door latches to the body.

I’d really like to see if these are earlier produced Emiras, or if the problems will persist regardless of build date. This will show us data on whether Lotus had the panel supplier fix this issue somewhere along the production of these cars or they just never bothered.