• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

DIY - Oil Change Reference for 2GR-FE

Jjrho

Reaction score
Re Q3...I ordered both funnels...gonna see if I can use both to create a solution... e.g. use the clear plexi part of one funnel with the angled funnel to go into it... n maybe have a seal so I can dump oil on top n not worry about any over flow as it tries to flow in between the grates...will post when I make it....

virtualmacho

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I have no experience with 3D printing nor the equipment, but wouldn't an Emira V6 specific funnel be cool? It could hook up to one or two points in the engine bay (strut for the rear hatch, and dipstick tube?) to prevent toppling.

Jjrho

Reaction score
I have no experience with 3D printing nor the equipment, but wouldn't an Emira V6 specific funnel be cool? It could hook up to one or two points in the engine bay (strut for the rear hatch, and dipstick tube?) to prevent toppling.
im sure it's possible thing.... it would have to be something that screws onto the oil fill cap thread and sealed well so that we can dump oil into it, quart at at time, what ever.... w/o the worry of it leaking onto the valve cover....

it's just so weird that toyota designed the 3.5L block that way... . of all the cars I've owned, this is the first time seeing the fill hole blocked like that..... smh....

james R

Dlirium

Reaction score

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

brainf18

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
wonder if this would fit an Emira engine with the bottom tray attached?

Last edited:

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

Do you feel like a spin-on filter gives you better performance? Or is it just the convenience?

netsinah

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Zero performance gain...but it would make DYI oil changes alot easier and less messy
At first blush, it does look like a neat solution to the oil spill problem which I've encountered with all drop-down internal filters, although you'd still get some, as you do with any spin-on external filter. The back-flow prevention of the spin-on filter, is a bonus as well, which is something he mentions in the video. Aside from the question of whether there's room on the Emira to accommodate both the adapter and the spin-on filter attached to it, there's the question of which filter to use AND whether the use of this new filter risks invalidating the engine warranty. Assuming it fits, this may be something to consider AFTER the expiry of the engine warranty(?). Some food for thought. Thanks for the interesting post brainf18.

brainf18

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
At first blush, it does look like a neat solution to the oil spill problem which I've encountered with all drop-down internal filters, although you'd still get some, as you do with any spin-on external filter. The back-flow prevention of the spin-on filter, is a bonus as well, which is something he mentions in the video. Aside from the question of whether there's room on the Emira to accommodate both the adapter and the spin-on filter attached to it, there's the question of which filter to use AND whether the use of this new filter risks invalidating the engine warranty. Assuming it fits, this may be something to consider AFTER the expiry of the engine warranty(?). Some food for thought. Thanks for the interesting post brainf18.
agreed...I'd probably not install it until after the warranty has expired.

Dlirium

Reaction score

I put one of these on my 986 Boxster, worked great and made oil changes way easier. As mentioned, I will wait until warranty has expired before upgrading...

silent cilantro

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

I’m under mine today. There is about 3in from the oil filter housing to where the undertray would be. I would say max clearance to keep things safe is 2.5in

IMG_4312.jpeg

brainf18

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I’m under mine today. There is about 3in from the oil filter housing to where the undertray would be. I would say max clearance to keep things safe is 2.5in

View attachment 43662
You'll gain some clearance with the cartridge removed...but doesn't sound like enough room for a reasonably large oil filter. But least the Emira's filter cartridge is metal!

Last edited: